Has anyone else been getting slammed with bogus emails from websites they've visited? They have attachments and I assume are viruses, but they come from legitimate sounding sources (admin@clickxchange, etc.). I even got one from abestweb and from one of MY other email addresses. Is this a new virus attack that I'm not aware of?

ABW Ambassador
    I received 6 e-mails yesterday with viruses, but did not recognize the e-mail addresses. This virus has a way of mutating...all subject lines were different...I also keep getting e-mails that have an attachment that will 'fix' the W32. I assume this fix is part of the virus. JC Whitney posted a message in ABW about people receiving viruses from their e-mail, etc. I beleive it is all related.

Yes it is, this virus is a real good one, it can spoof emails, make it look like it's coming from a valid email address, spread via shares, and the exploit of outlook express, and one of the latest versions even comes with a real dangerous bonus virus. This link has a removal tool, this web page has info and removal instructions for the klez and the virus it carries with it the elkern-c. Plus, everyone should go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and update their browser and outlook, since one of the means of infection is the preview pane in outlook on unpatched machines.

I had a ton of mails with attachments today, blocking the sender doesn't help 'cos they seem to change every day

Oh it's *Klez*.. let's see.. yup well over half the virus alerts here at Real_Life_Co are Klez/H for the past week.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Its a nasty one indeed...

I sent an "inactive e-mail" blast on Friday to 9,356 affilaites, that sucker somehow attached itself to the replies...

Besides getting over 275 "real replies", i've been slammed with over 30
    "klez" repair fixes....that somewhow were sent from the some of the inactive affiliate's e-mails.

Tells me that thing has spread like wildfire to unsuspecting users....many look at the "fix" and without knowing, open the damm thing.

ABW Ambassador
    This one is SO very annoying -- I've gotten the infected email that looks like it's coming from trusted sources, the emails that inform me that I am infected (I'm not, just my email address is being spoofed), the emails with the "fix", the emails in response to the "fix" that *I* have sent out (only I haven't, again, it's the spoof), etc etc.

But yesterday I did find myself chuckling, albeit annoyed chuckling, when the virus came full circle and I received the virus from what appeared to be MY own email address -- as if I had mailed the darn thing to myself.

Thank goodness for a mail reader that lets me look at file size on the server and delete mails from there -- these days, anything over 100k doesn't even make it to my harddrive.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If your a member of spamcop.net and report some of those so called Opt-in spamms then the originators seem to flood your e-mail box with this one and others that try to self install on preview. No need to even open them.

I got over 90 virus laden spamms in the last 2 days from wanks using Kornet.com Chinanet.com and other offshore spamm hosting services. I'd say that the merchants who ever appear in a spamm are to be hanged -drawn and quartered for ruining the internet. May all the phoney list brokers rott in advertising hell.

Man, if it's not one thing, it is another. Thanks, qball, for the link. No wonder my computer had been acting weird. I ran the program and got rid of the damn thing. What in the world motivates someone to be so destructive??

I've been averaging close to probably 100 a day since last week. Most are from different senders although they are not really from the addy that it says in most cases. Like Cedric, I am getting several emails from people I don't know that are getting emails from my addy. I have to email each one of them and assure them they aren't coming from me. Today I haven't received any yet so hopefully Road Runner has found a fix to block it. What a pain in the ass it is.

I noticed that it is sending some attachments which most likely are personal files that are taken off of computers that are infected. Hmmm, I wish I could get some personal files of Bill Gates. Could be worth a few bucks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I had a woman call me yesterday asking to be removed from our daily weather e-mail. She thought we were causing it. I asked her about the return e-mail address, and none were ours. She just assumed that since she signed up last week, it was because of us.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread