Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Press Releases and Your Site
    One of my sites is coming along really well, and am now in the process of trying to garner more backlinks, spread the word, get more traffic...you know....all of that good stuff...

One of the things I'd really like to do, is to issue a press release through a place like PRWeb. Still only "thinking about it", b/c I'm not quite sure this is something I may need to do or not.

My questions are:

For those of you that have used PRWeb (or similar service) do you make sure to have something very unique (i.e., contests, giveaways, other promotions) on your site before getting the word out?

Or do you simply release one as is, when you think your site is ready and in good shape? Does this make sense?

Also, for either of those two scenarios, how well did you do in terms of links, traffic, (and sales if you want to divulge that info).

Thanks!

ABW Ambassador
    Something I'm interested in too, haven't done a press release before. But since I'm a coupon/deal site I would want to release it with something that the other sites don't have to kind of set it apart from the others. I have this one idea that I don't see the others doing but will wait till shortly after Thanksgiving for the release. It's an idea that will also get a lot of viral traffic as well. No fake videos needed

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Aside from articles/how-to's, there's nothing on my site that says "news worthy" right now.

I'm wondering if a give-away, or similar promotion is the key here.

Let me know how it turns out for you, if you do decide to do it..

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Trust, everytime you get a new exclusive deal / special coupon, I suggest you do a press release...

Releases also can be centered on anniversaries (our 3rd year), personnel (so and so was promoted to VP), milestones (our millionth visitor), updates (completed our website redesign and speed has improved drastically), new partnerships (added a new merchant - give the merchant some free press, quote them, might get you a custom coupon), charitable donation (our website gave $500 to save the whales - ditto on shared press, get a quote from the other party) and a myriad of other occassions.

Have fun!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Using PRWeb has been really good for us. We syndicate releases at minimum $200 level for big news...such as new tool releases, etc. We've also used this contribution level for co-branded releases with new programs, for example: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/6/prweb403078.htm
    At the $200 level, they'll allow you to craft backlinks in the actual copy to target any anchor you want. This has really helped us out targeting very specific KWs. We see around 300 media outlets pick up the releases in a matter of a couple of hours from launch. At the min $200 contribution level chances are your backlink (in the copy) will be picked up and publsihed through these relevant media outlets...therein lies the value.

PRWeb will review the piece for quality and you'll be assigned a rank so it is a good idea to put some time into writing something decent.

Paying just the $40 contribution level will get you a backlink, although you won't have the option to anchor your KW from the actual article. But many SEOs use exclusively a $40 release b/c a backlink from the PRWeb.com domain is certainly worth that.

Any syndication of your content, ie, articles (through many ezine sites) blog entries...and especially your backlinks to relevant sites out there is huge and will have a direct correlation with your organic placement.

BTW, take a look at their podcast option as well. We haven't done this yet, but for another reasonable fee someone from PRWeb will call you and interview you about your press release and produce a short podcast. There's a whole new syndication level associated with those, too (people subscribe to podcast syndications as well and there are many directories you'll be listed in).

Do try, I've talked to Affiliates that are moving much of their PPC budgets into press releases...even though the results aren't too easy to measure in exact detail. It's certainly helped for AvantLink's branding strategy.

GBM
    Last edited by GravityFed; August 17th, 2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo

Wow, great feedback from all of you! I've got an itchy trigger finger for getting a press release out, but want to make sure I've got as much covered as possible before doing so.

Being able to use your own anchor text also seems wonderful. I was originally thinking about going for the $109 option, but the few bucks more seems to be worth it.

I'm in need of exposure/links...so this is something I really want to do.

I ssued my first press release about a month or so ago. There are things that you learn along the way thats for sure. Although my press release really didnt say much (just like my sites lol) I got about 40 backlinks from it.

It is an aquired art writing a press release that does the job well. I learned a ton on what I did wrong. too much to list here.

Do a google search and look at other peoples press releases and copy the format a bit you will see huge benefits.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Do a google search and look at other peoples press releases and copy the format a bit you will see huge benefits.
    Smart idea!

I once paid them to write my release thinking they knew the best way - think it was ~$200 - it was nice, but no better than I do on my own. Use the advice above, it's on the mark (and adds the "it got indexed well" aspect that makes it smart).

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I ssued my first press release about a month or so ago. There are things that you learn along the way thats for sure. Although my press release really didnt say much (just like my sites lol) I got about 40 backlinks from it.

It is an aquired art writing a press release that does the job well. I learned a ton on what I did wrong. too much to list here.

Yeah, not a superb writer myself...not sure how that'll turn out.

On another note - there's supposedly a great,new strategy to use with press releases called: persuasion archetecture. Supposed to work wonders with them (I have no idea).

I don't know much about persuasion archetecture, other than that it is explained in detail in the book: "Getting your Cat to Bark". Gonna go pick the book up this evening at B&N if they have it.

Great Thread!

"Getting your Cat to Bark". Gonna go pick the book up this evening at B&N if they have it.
    I think it's "Waiting for Your Cat to Bark" if were talking about the same thing by Bryan Eisenberg, GREAT BOOK!

lol - yeah, that's it. Something about barking cats..

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    I try to do a press release monthly. We donate at least $1000 each month to a cancer related charity and as long as the charity is okay with it, I send out a press release announcing it. if you need some ideas check out our press releases at:

http://www.alexscoupons.com/media-relations.html

Hope this helps...

-- Todd

P.S. We use prleap.com, much cheaper than prweb.
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

PRWeb for Driving Traffic, Online Visibility and Sales
    Awesome responses from all... and it appears you folks on this forum are on the bleeding-edge of what's happening in the Online PR space.

As for PRWeb, PRWebPodcast and PRWebPhotowire, RSSPad, PRWeb.tv: If you can think in terms of developing simple, keyword-rich (and very readable) content that you can inject into these services, you'll get more than backlinks and traffic.

I do a series of 12-24 press releases on PRWeb to drive traffic and overcome Google Inertia (you know, that "what the heck do I gotta' do to get upper-end page rank here?" situation).

What I get in 4-12 weeks is a 2-300% increase in sales, many thousands of backlinks and SERPs, and visibility in places I never thought to publish my content.

As for actual sales: I have a client who started using PRWeb twice a week at the $80+ and $200+ level per press release.

From the end of May 2003 to December 2003, the company developed:

1) over 65,000 SERP's.

2) 550% increase in traffic directly to the site.

3) Sales moved from $3,500 per month to $22,500 per month.

4) PPC campaign costs were cut by over 2/3rds.

THis is a very niche product, but by "pushing" content into the websphere using PRWeb releases, adding keyworded attachments, PDF's and such, you can really dominate the search engines and have fun doing it.

My releases weren't anything special. I'd find a group of keywords, compose releases, and get them organized into press releases and do one on Tuesday, another Thursday (and ocassionally one on Saturday or Sunday, for international pickups).

Once your PR Campaign gains momentup (4-6 weeks, sometimes less), you can maintain it with once every week or so PR.

As for specials and such: I HIGHLY recommend creating a dedicated landing page that talks like the release content. It's a much more elegant transition from your release to your site.

Free downloads, eBooks or Primers are always great, and can help you build your list.

FInally, you can get lots of free PRWeb info at PR Secrets.

If you need more statistical info and "How To", I have free PDF's you can request. Just send me an email.

Best of success!
    ME

P.S. By the by: Persuasion Architecture IS one of the cool elements of future PR. David McInnis, CEO of the company, is 100% supportive of that and I encourage you to check out the book, and visit Wizard Academy when you're ready to launch your writing to stratospheric levels.

PPS. I list the combined PRWeb technologies above because really smart cookies can link them all together using a release, images, Podcast and RSS feeds (and video as well, when that becomes available enmasse). Use those in concert, and you'll get some really amazing, over the top results.

Wow, thanks for that excellent post! I'm going to have to go through it a couple more times to get the info out..

I'm really looking forward to launching a press release - and to see the effects!

edit: thanks for the link as well Todd. I'm going to check it out this evening.

Thanks!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    eAgent, Thanks for taking the time to share all this valuable info!

Todd, that's a really impressive press room you have..

Yeah, awesome thread~!~!

Online Press Release Optimizations
    You bet, MoneyBusiness!

I'm doing some new PR ensuring the keyword/phrase is the first word in the title, summary and early in the body copy... so far, it's outpulling my prior PR by a clear margin.

Also: Remember that PRWeb, PR Leap, PR Free and other online release services all have a free entry point, with scalable feature additions at a price.

But DON'T be fooled by what you "get" (or expect to get) for free. I always use the service enough to find the sweet-spot and then do a CAMPAIGN (not just a release, but a series of releases) to leverage the cumulative effect. I wrote an article on that called Persistent Pay Per Click that covers the effect in detail.

I've done quantitative and qualitative studies on nearly all of the online PR services (and the traditional PRNewswire, BusinessWire, etc...) and found PRWeb to produce a multiple (200-300-900%) better results in the online space.

Not a pitch. I am always looking for the very best price-performance solution. Currently PRWeb dominates. 20,000 RSS feeds, 50,000,000 monthly page views, 65,000+ media and journalist subscribers, and loads of SEO optimization technologies have kept them at the top. If the other services even compared, Vocus would have purchased them instead (Vocus purchased PRWeb last week for $28,000,000 and had a complete report on every online PR service available, their revenue, traffic and results. They picked PRWeb after a year of relationship building and testing).

You can do the tests for yourself as well, and I encourage it.

Here's another reason to find one you like, and stick with it (this is a PRWeb component, but others may incorporate it as well).

When you distribute a release on PRWeb, you select and develop a custom RSS Feed that all similar press releases you create are bundled under. It helps you keep related PR in one place for your viewers.

Now, each of the prior press releases are listed as active links under the body and social media links, and above the web site preview on the page of your release.

A viewer of your release also sees your related press releases, and so do the SE spiders. It's a cool way to get additional viewing of past content, and to aggregate your product news.

Case Study: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a client of ours. His press releases get a LOT of attention by the very nature of his brand.

If we don't have additional PR directly related, we may add another release to the RSS feed (such as our own PR Firm release, or a related charity or event that would be copacetic with Mr. Abdul-Jabbar) and use the additional traffic to increase results. It's like the drafting bicycle racers do for each other: they get in line and have the lead dog buffering the wind, while the tail rider gets a much easier time, less work.

Let's hope your campaign helps you get caught in the wave of success you're creating.

One more thing: if you elect to do a release like this, don't hesitate to email me. I'll do some SEO optimization based on my experience, and help you get it to the top of the visibility pile.

Best of success!
    Mark Alan Effinger
    ThoughtOffice.com
    RichContent.com
    Mark Alan Effinger
    RichContent.com
    ThoughtOffice.com

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    edit: thanks for the link as well Todd. I'm going to check it out this evening.

Thanks!
    No problem...glad to help.
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    Todd, that's a really impressive press room you have..

Yeah, awesome thread~!~!
    Thanks Gary appreciate the feedback.

I also want to point out to everyone that I did all this without releasing a phony video of my car being stolen... (sorry couldn't resist a jibe at TaxBrain)
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Todd Rocks!
    Todd, I just visited your site and read your story. Amazing, and I am touched.

My consulting business also tumbled in the wake of 9/11, and it was touch and go for over a year following.

But nothing NOTHING like your life and death experience.

I'm humbled by your efforts and wish you and your family the very best. Someday I'd like to do a podcast with you and possibly bring you on stage as a banner of hope and perseverance to others. I'm beginning work with Will Marre' of The American Dream Project (Will was the guy behind Covey Leadership International).

Your story rocks. Congrats on your success.

Warm regards,
    Mark Alan Effinger

I plan to put out a PR shortly after I've completed a major new release for my site. Since many of these features are very new, unique and cutting edge I hope to have some great success with it. I also plan to contact some important bloggers in my industry and offer phone interviews to discuss my new features and future plans. I've got a small list of very influencial bloggers that I'm attempting to impress. If they can write favorably about me their tens of thousands of readers can follow suit. I may even release a how-to video on YouTube explaining and demonstrating how to use my site. I'm really excited to see how all of this turns out. In my past experiences a blurb from a popular blog garners heavy traffic from the search engines.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I wrote a guest post once for a popular, professional blogger site (think the site was a PR7 then), and traffic tripled that day, and many days afterwards. The direct traffic dwindled after a while, but the boost in SERPS was worth the time and effort. Got a good number of backlinks as well. If only I could repeat that regularly!

Hope that turns out well for you, Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by eAgent
    Todd, I just visited your site and read your story. Amazing, and I am touched.

My consulting business also tumbled in the wake of 9/11, and it was touch and go for over a year following.

But nothing NOTHING like your life and death experience.

I'm humbled by your efforts and wish you and your family the very best. Someday I'd like to do a podcast with you and possibly bring you on stage as a banner of hope and perseverance to others. I'm beginning work with Will Marre' of The American Dream Project (Will was the guy behind Covey Leadership International).

Your story rocks. Congrats on your success.

Warm regards,
    Mark Alan Effinger
    Thanks Mark, appeciate the kind words!

I might be interested in doing a podcast at some point. I'm starting to get a little more comfortable with the whole media thing, although I'm not sure you would know it from our last TV appearance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nalM8Rp5ags

Hope everything is going great. Talk to you soon.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Amazing thread!

So many tips... It is useful to read about different ways to advertise and enhance sales. Will definately try press releases (it somehow did not occur to me before)...

Thanks a lot

P.S. Trust, sent you a PM.

Just a heads up. I've managed to finalize my sweepstakes promotion (legal paperwork, online entry forms, auto-emails, and other goodies). One of hte beauties that I see coming from this is the possibility that I can generate a nice list of emails (opt-in) for future "projects".

Now, onto step 2, and that is the release of my press release, which will be at the same time that the sweepstake starts. I'm hoping that the promotion on my site will draw enough attention (considering it's free to enter), meaning lots o' links, lots o' perspective buyers, lots o' emails.

I'm expecting this to launch within two weeks now (was hoping for sept. 1st..but running behind). I will let you know how it turns out (hoping for good things, keep your fingers crossed!).

Well...lot quicker than I thought it would be. Managed to get my sweepstakes in place and running this holiday weekend. Also launched my press release today as well.

So far so good...over 700 have signed up for the give away so far...and the press release stats are ok - did the whole package, optimized it, and upgraded it a bit more for more exposure.

I do have a question for those that have sent out a press release before:

Are there any other ways to judge the current performance of the PR (other than the usual basic stats that PRweb offers?) The numbers that they provide don't seem very specific/intuitive, unless I'm just reading them wrong.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast