Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Upcoming Changes in Getting Links
    This just annouced at CJ site. Hey folks, we are making progress at getting CJ to reverse their LMI JS tactics. Keep up the fight. Now they say no plans to remove "support" for html links (whatever "support" means).

On August 30, 2006 publishers will notice changes in getting links in the CJ Account Manager™. This change will make it easier for publishers to choose either HTML or JavaScript links. To reiterate there are no plans to remove support for HTML links.

However, advertisers will have the option to designate a link as JavaScript-only (with the exception of keyword links), if they deem it necessary. Commission Junction encourages its advertisers to support both HTML and JavaScript link formats, to meet the varied needs of publishers.

For more information on these changes, please read the updated FAQ on CJU Online.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

15 years and counting
    They can do what they want, the damage is done.

Commission Junction encourages its advertisers to support both HTML and JavaScript link formats, to meet the varied needs of publishers.
    This is 180 degree change in what they were saying before.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Well, at least CJ "blinked." I'm surprised about that, quite truthfully - CJ seemed javascript or bust.

I'm still not entirely trusting them, but it does make me more open now to expanding relationships with other CJ advertisers - at least on a limited basis for the short term.

If CJ hasn't rolled out the LMI in full by next spring or early summer then I guess the LMI probably won't happen the way they envisioned. it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimh009
    If CJ hasn't rolled out the LMI in full by next spring or early summer then I guess the LMI probably won't happen the way they envisioned. it.

More like...

LMI hasn't happened the way they envisioned it.

Man, these guys change their minds more often than I know what to do with. However, as long as there are no "hidden agendas" under their statement, then maybe there is some ray of hope in the long run...maybe. The last thing I want to do is work hard with CJ again, and have them do the exact same thing a year or two down the line. Do that, and I'll personally walk my butt down there and tear open a can...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    They can do what they want, the damage is done.
    I'm afraid you are right and CJ was so into JS (remember LS and SynergyAnalytics...too much invested to back out) that they could not easily back off and reverse their decisions. Sounds like they are finally coming around and realizing they cannot just dictate what type of links we will do. With hundreds of thousands of affiliates, you just can't switch after this many years and say "Too bad, you have to change".

Like I've been saying, I think this is more about ValueClick than it is about CJ. CJ would have never done this on their own. ValueClick was responsible for this and when they realized their little jewel of an affiliate network was about to go under by trying to institute something they knew nothing about, they had to realize they were out of their league.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    They're slowing backing off. They now realize if they ever went js only that they would lose a lot of merchants. Like I've said before this isn't the type of move that is going to attract merchants and affiliates, just push them to their competition. There was no one jumping up and down being happy about this move. They see that now. So they're not going to straight up say that they made a mistake, just take steps back. June 23rd was supposed to be js only for new relationships. Backed off. Valueclick meeting metioned 1-2 years to move people over. And now this.

For those of you who need a translation of the announcement, I pulled out my handy Star Trek quality universal translator:

On August 30, 2006 publishers will be very happy about changes in getting links in the CJ Account Manager™. We realized we made a big mistake and at the risk of losing our top advertisers and publishers, we are taking several steps backwards in the hopes of saving our network. This change will make it easier for publishers to choose either HTML or JavaScript links. To reiterate there are no plans to remove support for HTML links. This does not mean we won’t, we just have not thought this through enough to make serious plans (and we would not tell you, even if we did know).

However, the bad news is that we are still pressuring advertisers push JavaScript-only links (with the exception of keyword links), if they deem it necessary (and boy have we been hitting a brick wall trying to convince them it is necessary). Commission Junction now realizes we’d better support both HTML and JavaScript link formats, before all of our varied publishers run off to other networks.

For more information on these changes, please read the updated FAQ on CJU Online.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

15 years and counting
    Either way, it's not good. Just bad management. Who want to work with a company that can change their mind like that. It's scary. What's going to happen next?

ABW Ambassador
    I see this as a total win and conforms with what I've said all along. They will never go to JS only. Any future complaints about JS should be between the publisher and the merchant.

Thank you, CJ. I just wish you wouldn't have been so hard headed for 3 months.

Well, got to give CJ credit for something else today. Finally they made the changes in the FAQ easy to find. To save everyone some time, here are the areas they indicate are new:

A second phase launches on August 30, 2006, making it easier for publishers to access HTML links, in addition to continued availability of JavaScript links. Additionally, advertisers will be given the ability to designate any links (except Keyword Links) as JavaScript-only. We expect only certain advertisers will use this feature, such as those concerned with legal and regulatory compliance. For most situations we suggest that advertisers offer both HTML and JavaScript links to publishers, to meet their varied business needs.

To reiterate, Commission Junction has no plan to remove support for HTML links
    How are JavaScript links impacted with the August 30, 2006 release of LMI?
    Now in the Get Links area of the CJ Account Manager, there is no longer a default to JavaScript links; publishers can choose the format they prefer to work with, whether it is HTML or JavaScript.

Advertisers will also have the ability to designate any link (except Keyword Links) as JavaScript-only. This feature was added in response to some advertisers who have particular concerns with legal and regulatory compliance, such as an interest rate advertised by a financial institution. We recommend that advertisers only use this feature as needed, and to continue to support both JavaScript and HTML, to accommodate the varied needs of publishers.

What if I do not want to use JavaScript links on my publisher site?
    While there are advantages to JavaScript links, publishers may still choose to use HTML links. The use of JavaScript links are not required, except in the case where an advertiser determines a link should be designated as JavaScript-only. To reiterate, Commission Junction has no plan to remove support for HTML links.

How are HTML links impacted with the August 30, 2006 release of LMI?
    Now in the Get Links area of the CJ Account Manager, HTML links will be more easily accessible. There is no longer a default to JavaScript links, publishers can choose the format they prefer to work with.

However, now advertisers will also have the ability to designate a link (except a Keyword Link) as JavaScript-only. This feature was added in response to some advertisers who have particular concerns with legal and regulatory compliance, such as an interest rate advertised by a financial institution. We recommend that advertisers only use this feature as needed, and to continue to support both JavaScript and HTML, to accommodate the varied needs of publishers.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    CJU still has seats available. I can't remember a year where seats lasted this long. I think that might have gotten CJ's attn.
    LMI is why I opted out of CJU this year.

At least they are headed in a positive direction, other than VC's relationships with several scoundrels.

15 years and counting
    They must be in BIG trouble to have such a wording. I reiterate, we saw the REAL NEW CJ/VALUECLICK in action a few months ago, threatening us... with LMI.

They can sweeten their language but it's just cosmetic changes, they still promote eBates and bad practices in Affiliate Marketing. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    They must be in BIG trouble to have such a wording. I reiterate, we saw the REAL NEW CJ/VALUECLICK in action a few months ago, threatening us... with LMI.
    It would be great if someone started a thread from day one where CJ annunced LMI and then followed it with all their subsequent announcements and changes. Kind of a timeline sort of thing of how they have evolved during this whole process.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

trying to put this whole thing in a more positive light, Maybe CJ?VC can use this as a wakeup call that they have to get closer to the old CJ and provide the tools that affiliates need.

IMHO the best way that they can get changes like this is to provide the user the ability to set defaults, according to what works best for their use. For example what type of links JS or HTML...no longer a legacy and about a dozen other things that could make us all more productive.

Thank You VC for providing the lesson on how important it is not to keep all your eggs in one basket ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse

Thank You VC for providing the lesson on how important it is not to keep all your eggs in one basket ;-)
    I prefer "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".
    7 Days A Week Marketing

LMI has died. RIP.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

A VICTORY FOR ALL AFFILIATES!

Thank god for the announcement today.

But I never understood where JavaScript fit into "improvement" and "effeciency" in their reasoning as stated in their FAQ...

Why is Commission Junction doing this?
    In discussions with internal and external clients, it was discovered that there were many opportunities for improvements to our existing feature set when it comes to link management. We learned that efficiency, quality and opportunity were being compromised and that action needed to be taken in response. We therefore devised a list of features in answer to these needs and will be releasing them on an ongoing basis. As needed, additional features and enhancements will be considered as part of this initiative.
    Especially being a technology that is often easily disabled on browsers. Who are these clients they discussed the matters with?

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I prefer "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".
    Exactly.

ABW Ambassador
    Lets hope they can do their research and implement technologies we really need from cj like xml, rss and other preferred scripting languages plus better education & implementation of xhtml & css.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Sorry guys, I've been out of the loop for quite a few month.

What improvements, if any, does a JS link offer over the POH (Plain Old HTML) ones?

Was it the removal of the multiple redirects on the way to the target website?

I haven't even looked at a CJ JS link yet. I guss I should.

Drewbert,

Resectively, please do a search and you will see an entire list of reasons. Also, many of the folks that signed the petition give excellent reasons: http://www.jangro.com/cj-petition.php

Welcome back, by the way.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Actually, he's looking for the advantages, not the disadvantages. I'm not sure any of us who signed the petition against it had much positive to say.

It doesn't eliminate any of the multiple redirects.

The main advantages (and I would hesitate to call most of these advantages) would be:

1) The link text should automatically update when/if the merchant changes it.
    2) In theory, it should be less obvious (at first, anyway) to ad blockers, parasites, and search engines.
    3) No text is on affiliate sites (unless they manually put it there), so there will be less SEO competition and duplicate content penalties.
    4) You are future proof, which means that CJ can dynamically insert rich media or whatever where you have affiliate links.
    5) CJ will be able to collect more information about your visitors, which could allow them to better target them.

The disadvantages are numerous, and are covered well here on ABW and in the petition, so I won't repeat them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Ooops, sorry Drewbert. Thanks for responding Michael.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast