Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Question Price or No Price? That is the Question
    Should I have "Click for Price" or should I just have the price? A click takes them to the merchant. Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Click for price or click more info etc. Prices can change so you don't have to worry about updating all your pages when they do or having the wrong price on your site. You get the click and get them on the merchant site. Also depends on what type of site you have. If you have a price comparison site, then obviously you would have the prices. And I think a lot of merchants would rather you not have the price because if you have it listed wrong, the customer might get mad at the merchant if the prices don't match. Less headaches all the way around.

I think in order to compete and be a useful shopping resource the prices are extremely important. It's difficult for a consumer to take any shopping site serious if it doesn't include prices and it's not updated regularly. If you don't have the ability to update the prices quickly enough it's probably not going to be a great idea to work with datafeeds. The most effective way to use them is to keep them updated. If you don't update regularly and you don't include prices you'll still have out of stock products which is just as bad as showing the wrong price.

Of course if your goal isn't to become a shopping destination and you'd only like to generate traffic on the whims of the search engines do what you want. My advice is for those who would like to build a solid brand that caters to shoppers' wishes.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I think in order to compete and be a useful shopping resource the prices are extremely important. It's difficult for a consumer to take any shopping site serious if it doesn't include prices and it's not updated regularly.
    - Scott
    Very interesting observation, Scott.

Would you also recommend a site that is not built with datafeeds to include (updated) prices as well? In the case of a site that is not built on feeds, how often should the items be updated?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Snib, not everybody is building shopping comparision sites just like you. There are many different types of sites out there. Depends on what type of affiliate site you are building. Some also do products by hand. Shopping comparison site, yes show prices. Old thread about it:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ght=show+price

From the thread from a merchant:

"As a merchant, I would rather that affiliates did not list prices. That's the best way to ensure that incorrect pricing isn't an issue. Some affiliates will leave a price from 6 months ago up and we'll get calls demanding that we honor the price. AND the affiliate gets commission while we lose that money!"

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i would think that u should show price.
    less ambiguity = higher conversion.

ABW Ambassador
    In that thread I linked too, they tried it, Dirk did and said after removing price:

"Click-throughs have doubled and so have sales."

This is one of those debates where there isn't really a right answer. Again, depends of what type of site you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Very interesting observation, Scott.

Would you also recommend a site that is not built with datafeeds to include (updated) prices as well? In the case of a site that is not built on feeds, how often should the items be updated?
    I think it's important to update daily no matter what method you use to market. Products, prices, trends, etc. are changing constantly and to update any less than daily just puts you a few steps behind those who do.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    In that thread I linked too, they tried it, Dirk did and said after removing price:

"Click-throughs have doubled and so have sales."
    That is pretty strange. The only problem with that is that if a person is willing to spend i.e. $70 on a pair of shoes but without the price on affiliate site, he goes to the merchant's site and find out that the price of the shoe is $170, what is the person most likely to do. If i am the visitor, I look for the "X" button on the top of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Snib, not everybody is building shopping comparision sites just like you. There are many different types of sites out there. Depends on what type of affiliate site you are building. Some also do products by hand. Shopping comparison site, yes show prices.
    I'm just saying in order to compete with somebody like Shopzilla, Yahoo Shopping, Froogle or any of the other major shopping portal you need to include prices. Just depends on what your goal is really.

I also believe customers will be more likely to return to your site and use it again if it's updated well enough to keep the prices accurate.

- Scott

I think it's important to update daily no matter what method you use to market. Products, prices, trends, etc. are changing constantly and to update any less than daily just puts you a few steps behind those who do.

- Scott
    Your position makes sense.
    Your point about changing trends and the influence of those trends upon the webmaster's site (impacting the needs for updating) is worthwhile to keep in mind. The only problem is that this is not always easy for the webmaster who creates a site "manually" (i.e. without feeds) to accomplish -- even so, any webmaster should strive to keep current and not rest upon previous laurels.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Yes Scott, shopping comparison sites. Again, you have to step out of your box and realize that not everybody is making sites just like you. It's one of those debates like content vs. sales sites. There is no right answer. There are sites making money showing price and not showing prices. Once you check out the thread I linked too, with someone actually experimenting with it, they did better without prices and there are plenty of merchants that don't want you to show the price. Like the one I quoted. Now if you are making a shopping/price comparison site, of course you show prices, that's the point of the site.

Prices/No Prices

In the thread I linked too, Anne did better with prices. Dirk did better without. Jumping up and down ready to marry Leader. The only way to know for sure is to test it out and see how you do with it, doesn't matter how other people are doing with it.

deleted..
    Last edited by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe; August 18th, 2006 at 10:41 PM. Reason: retracted post

I have some sites where I don't update the datafeed as much as I should. If the merchant always offers a discount off the list price, why not have a 'click here to save' button? If I was a customer looking for the item, I believe I would click that button.
    And it sets a cookie... )

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I have some sites where I don't update the datafeed as much as I should. If the merchant always offers a discount off the list price, why not have a 'click here to save' button? If I was a customer looking for the item, I believe I would click that button.
    And it sets a cookie... )
    That sounds like a good idea as long as the "click to save button" originated on the publisher's/affiliate's site and as long as no other "incentive" (that would over-ride cookies) existed at checkout (as is the case now with some cookie washers -- ask economcity )
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Talking
    Right, got to watch out who you partner with.

And if I had a price comparison site, I'd Definitely want to have current prices on it!

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    And if I had a price comparison site, I'd Definitely want to have current prices on it!
    For sure -- but what if you were not creating a comparison site, would that change your approach?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    A price comparison site has to have them, that's the basis of the site. But it would have to be automated and not everyone's site is. On other sites, if it all updates with scripts automatically then that's up to the merchant to keep up to date.

With a site that has pages generated individually by hand, I wouldn't dream of having prices except *maybe* for an odd special sale here and there. Keeping up with current pricing would be a nightmare in maintenance.

ABW Ambassador
    I think having prices is good for general content/shopping sites too, at least if the page itself is about the products or product category. Bascially, listing prices is good for your sites visitor - so end in the end it is good for you too.

However, I absolutely, positively recommend NOT using prices if you manually build your links. Soon your prices - not to mention many of the products - will likely be outdated. Listing prices is best for datafeed/dynamic sites.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Your position makes sense.
    Your point about changing trends and the influence of those trends upon the webmaster's site (impacting the needs for updating) is worthwhile to keep in mind. The only problem is that this is not always easy for the webmaster who creates a site "manually" (i.e. without feeds) to accomplish -- even so, any webmaster should strive to keep current and not rest upon previous laurels.
    There's no problem without automation. This is where it's great to be a writer. It's not my forte but if I had that to rely on I'd use it heavily. Even posting deals and keeping people up to date on trends can be profitable. Shopping guides are great, and they can even incorporate prices and products. So many avenues to take -- that's what makes this such a great profession.

In any event you've got to be up to date.

- Scott

There's no problem without automation. This is where it's great to be a writer. It's not my forte but if I had that to rely on I'd use it heavily. Even posting deals and keeping people up to date on trends can be profitable. Shopping guides are great, and they can even incorporate prices and products. So many avenues to take -- that's what makes this such a great profession.

In any event you've got to be up to date.

- Scott
    Snib, you offer pearls of wisdom once again.

Thanks for giving everyone this advice & encouragement
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    There's no problem without automation.
    Sure there is, with trying to keep prices current and updated if they're included. Like how many hours a week would it take to go through hundreds of product pages, checking to see if the prices have been changed, updating and uploading revised pages?

Try it on a few hundred by hand, time it and tell us.

Action Jackson - King of the World

- Scott
    Unfortunately that isn't an option for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Should I have "Click for Price" or should I just have the price? A click takes them to the merchant. Thanks.
    The only reason I'll stay on a site without prices, is if the product is hard to come by, and there are no other options to purchase. Otherwise, I'm the kind of person that scans, and does it quickly for what I'm looking for. No price...then I have no idea if this or that product is right for me, and I'll easily backout to the next competitor available. No time to hunt.

Pictures are the same for me as well. Whether the item is small, or large, cheap/expensive.

As an example: I'm about to purchase a new laptop (woohoo) - and am doing some shopping around. Unless the site offers me good reason to, I won't entertain any offers that are without a picture of the laptop, and wthout the price, or at least an approximate price. Maybe it's a trust thing...who knows.

Not always a hard-and-fast rule with me, but is probably more often the case than not. Also wanted to add, as an affiliate marketer, my perceptions are a bit biased than from the average joe - simply b/c I can sometimes judge whether a product listing is going to take me to another site or not. If I think I'll get more info by clicking, then I may do so sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    The only reason I'll stay on a site without prices, is if the product is hard to come by, and there are no other options to purchase. Otherwise, I'm the kind of person that scans, and does it quickly for what I'm looking for. No price...then I have no idea if this or that product is right for me, and I'll easily backout to the next competitor available. No time to hunt.
    What about a site that quotes a price but has a link that says something to the effect of: "Click here to confirm the most recent prices and sales" ?

I use that type of link with fashion and lingerie businesses because they are always having sales and at this point in time I create pages "manually' but I usually write a nice sentence urging customers to take advantage of recent sales at the merchant's site.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast