ABW Ambassador
    Scrapbook.com - very funny
    I just had to hold myself back from sending them an email asking them if they were daft. They have Adsense running right underneath their link for affiliate sign-up

http://www.scrapbook.com/scrapbookin...ateprogram.htm

What's with these traffic sponges?

but the ads are not on the shopping pages and the homepages so is it still a problem?
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

ABW Ambassador
    Clyde, why would they run it at all? And they do also on the forums. But that just starts the process of digging around. They've actually got two sites with separate programs at SAS, one pays 25% and this one pays 10%. Separate carts and they link to the other one all over this sites. Both are Domains by Proxy.

scrapbook.com - 10%
    computerscrapbook.com - 25%

And then theiir third site is linked to in a number of places on the site, for online classes. scraptutor.com - simply a big leak.

Thirdly, they are running affiliate links of their own on a sales page

http://www.scrapbook.com/university/index.php

Adsense on bottom, affiliate banners on the top and right and affiliate text links in the body text. That's without going further, beyond that and the link to their other site on top of every page.

Is it really worth people's while to damage their credibility? How much could they make as an affiiate that they have to poach traffic? And how much cross traffic do they send to their own other sites, siphoning traffic also without paying commission?

Why can't people out there just play it straight?

Why can't people out there just play it straight?
    IMHO I really don't think the merchants are deliberately trying to be crooked, they just don't know any better. As a merchant, they are out to make money and adsense makes sense to them... go for every nickel.

Of course from an affiliates standpoint it is a huge leak and a big ole red flag. I truly think education is the solution.

If perhaps they are educated and don't care, they aren't affiliate friendly. We are just another *avenue* to them...lumped in the category with adsense and whatever else brings in a couple of dimes. In that case, it is time to move on. Sadly though...scrapbooking is HUGE with many of my visitors.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I can see both sides, merchants are just trying to capture some revenue from whatever traffic doesn't buy but moves on...as an affiliate, my goal is for the merchant to be the final destination. So merchants who have to send visitors away probably should work on making their site convert better instead of settling for a small piece of the pie with adsense or other affiliate links.
    Honest merchants though won't and don't send your traffic to their other program sites and not compensate you for it.

I just had to hold myself back from sending them an email asking them if they were daft.
    Might help produce a quality merchant down the line if they are open to improvement.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread