Tea Guys Looking for Help!
    Hi,

We're long standing in the Tea industry but relatively new to the affiliate marketing world. We had a Shareasale account that was "donated" to us to get the ball rolling - looking for any advice you may have:

We only sell anywhere between 4 and 12 different teas at any given time. This is due to the very cyclical nature of our business - depending on the harvest size and standing orders we can only do very limited forecasting of our inventory.

Our products are very niche market - high end teas for real afficionados and those who are health conscious and into very high quality consumables. Even though our prices are not exorbitant, they definitely cater to those with the inclination and disposable income to purchase our products.

Any particular best ways to promote ourselves? We seem to get a lot of sign-up requests from sites that definitely don't fit our profile! Our commission is set at 25%, which is about as high as we can go - but maybe it is attracting the 'wrong crowd'?
    Last edited by wayandrs; August 21st, 2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: forgot some bits
    [B]Samboya, LLC.[/B]
    The Finest Teas on Earth

Find our program [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=5379]here[/URL] .

A single sales of just one 4oz. bag of Darjeeling tea earns you over $20 in commissions! Updated abandoned cart recovery feature increases sales retention by 18%. We always work to improve conversion rates and your profit opportunity.

By 'teas' I meant type of tea.. of course we have quantities of all those available. :-) Also, at 25%, a single order of just one 4oz. bag of Darjeeling means over $20 in commissions - and since as much as 90% of tea labeled "Darjeeling" is actually fake, our selling proposition is very strong (we're tea board of india certified, a guarantee that we sell the real deal)
    [B]Samboya, LLC.[/B]
    The Finest Teas on Earth

Find our program [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=5379]here[/URL] .

A single sales of just one 4oz. bag of Darjeeling tea earns you over $20 in commissions! Updated abandoned cart recovery feature increases sales retention by 18%. We always work to improve conversion rates and your profit opportunity.

ABW Ambassador
    I would start off by buying an announement here for only $50. I would also try finding other affiliate sites selling tea. If I was an affiliate with a nice niche it would be great for a merchant telling me they have a program available.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Talking approving/screening affiliates
    Hi there and welcome to the wide and wacky world of affiliate marketing... ok, maybe not so wacky but wide anyhow.

My advice in terms of all those affiliates who don't 'seem' all that well-aligned with your product/brand right off the bat.

Try not to judge a book by its cover. Many affiliates promote niche sites, or don't list all the sites they actually own and use to promote their merchants, to their profile on the network. What that means is that though an affiliate may apply with nothing but a baseball type site listed to his/her profile (for example), that affiliate may have plans to build an entirely new site around your product, or, they may have other sites where your product would be a good fit. If you have the time and inclination, you can contact each affiliate one by one before approving them (so long as you can keep on top of that task while still approving new applicants w/in a reasonable turn-around time), to find out how and where they plan to promote your brand(s) once/if approved.

Or, you can give them the benefit of the doubt and just watch new affiliates closely to see what they do as time passes and address issues as they crop up. I've seen both methods used and I use a combination of the 2 myself in managing the programs I do.

Hope that helps - I'm with Trust in that an ad on ABW can do wonders so long as its backed by a solid program offering and a solid program manager.

All the best - may all your adventures in affiliate marketing be fruitful. Feel free to contact me directly if you want 1:1 insights or have questions - I'm always happy to help.

Cheers,

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As for aff quality in general (and expanding on what Liz said), it seems to be 98% amateurs and about 2% who regularly sell stuff. And plenty don't even activate. That's just normal. It's like panning for gold: Most of what comes into your seive is sand. And, some fool's gold--sites that look like the perfect match, but that never are seen by anyone (or that can't actually sell anything). Then there's a few gold nuggets.

But, if you get picky as to who signs up, or start kicking people out, you may very well find that you've thrown away the real gold and kept the fool's gold instead. The real gold is often hidden behind a profile that only shows a crappy newb site (usually the aff's first effort from several years ago, that they've long since abandoned). I've had affs sign up with what seemed to be junk, only to find that they put my links on gardening-dedicated sales sites that they didn't bother to list in the SAS system! If I'd turned them down based on what they listed at SAS, it would have been my loss.

Other real gold can come in the form of an unimpressive site design that happens to rank well in one of the top search engines. A site that gets seen > a site that doesn't.

Also, I've found that my expectations of what will work does not always match what will.

Many affiliate programs have died due to the preconceived notions of the owner, and from overapplied snootiness. So I approve every legit affiliate, regardless of whether I think they'll sell Jack or not. If I could see the future perfectly, I'd just pick the winning Lotto numbers and that'd be that. But I don't have perfect prescience, so I always leave the door open for the possibility that the "ugly newbish site" will turn out to be the very one to get #1 in Google under "Tulips" (Tulips being my main product.).

Any particular best ways to promote ourselves? We seem to get a lot of sign-up requests from sites that definitely don't fit our profile! Our commission is set at 25%, which is about as high as we can go - but maybe it is attracting the 'wrong crowd'?
    #1: High commissions are GOOD! The higher the commish, the better the affs--not the other way around. You don't get Rolls-Royce affiliates by paying Kia prices! But if you pay Kia prices, you still get ALL the Kia people.

25%'s quite high (unless all the other tea sellers pay around that amount, then you're just being competitive), but a high commission is always a GOOD thing, and the higher the better, assuming you can afford it.

Your comment "about as high as we can go" does seem to indicate that there's a stinging sensation coming from your end...which suggests that maybe you've indeed overstretched a bit. But that's purely a budgetary concern--not one of affiliate quality.

As long as the affiliate sites are legit (as in, not crooks), I don't think there is such a thing as a "wrong" crowd. There are those that can sell things well, and those that cannot sell Jack, and in between those some that make just a few sales. From my standpoint, the closest thing to a "wrong" crowd is those who cannot sell Jack. Otherwise, they are all good.

And there's always the hope that some of the newbs will clue up. Everyone starts as a newb, after all. The good performers of today were the ones with lame sites and no hits sometimes not too long ago. I've seen people come on ABW as newbs, and in less than a year they're ready to quit their day j*b!

Best to already be on that bus when it starts moving.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

@ wayandrs

Liz has given you some really good advice. Dont judge your affiliates, you need to structure your program in such a way that every body gets a chance to proove themselves and work with them to do so.

You need to provide them with tools as well, we are all willing to help just keep asking
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Here's an affiliate point of view. I searched & found you at SAS. Not sure if you're aware but your category listing is "Recreation", "Food" would probably be better. I previewed your banners & they're all yacht & boating related so I was hesitant to even apply. You'll fit right in with one of my sites so I applied hoping that you have the banners & product links.

>>>We only sell anywhere between 4 and 12 different teas at any given time

so it would really help an affiliate to be able to make a link that changed dynamically, depending on their site design.

Quote Originally Posted by wayandrs
    (we're tea board of india certified, a guarantee that we sell the real deal)
    Can you clairfy what this means exactly.

Thanks for all the feedback! :-)

Sorry about the boat links - the program was "donated" to us, and I just figured out how to change them all. They are all tea banners now! (many more to come).

I'll definitely take the advice about giving new affiliates a shot - that all sounds reasonable, I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide this bit of education.

As far as the 25%, I don't mind paying it, my point was just that this is as much of our margin that we can afford to give up... I'm happy to do it, of course. I saw a few other tea sites, it didn't look like anybody was going quite as high on the commissions - and most sites also sell lower end products, so that's a bit of different target audience.

The Tea Board of India Certification is mainly to assure new customers that our teas are the "real thing". Especially with Darjeeling as much as 90% of teas promoted as darjeeling are actually 'fake'. It's a lot like wine or cigars, the origin and plant types that are sought after tend to be 'copied'. And since it's not exactly cheap (only 86 plantations exist in the Darjeeling region, so our harvests are fairly limited), some assurance is necessary.

I'll be spending more time on the board, and again, thank you so much for sharing your insights!

Oh and... I can't check my PM's yet, I get a message that I'm too new and can't access that sort of information.
    [B]Samboya, LLC.[/B]
    The Finest Teas on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by wayandrs
    The Tea Board of India Certification is mainly to assure new customers that our teas are the "real thing".
    You still heavn't clarified. Are you certified by Tea Borad of India as you claimed in your earlier message or the tea you sell is certified by them?

It sounds interesting because the Pagan and New Age crowd is big on teas. But, I up date my sites quarterly, if that. I think your links would be out of date all the time, making us both look bad.

I found it. I dunno. Pagans are so darned CHEAP!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Yes, our teas (Samboya Tea) are definitely not cheap by most tea standards. Compared to coffee at Starbucks though, even our most expensive Darjeeling still ends up being about half the cost, per cup (a 4oz. bag amounts to 40-60 cups of tea).

And yes, we are certified by the Tea Board of India. We will have copies of the certification online soon.
    Last edited by wayandrs; August 23rd, 2006 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    [B]Samboya, LLC.[/B]
    The Finest Teas on Earth

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread