Amazon's At It Again
    Has anybody checked out the new aStore feature on Amazon. From the description:

aStore vastly expands from current link type offerings by creating a dedicated shopping area to be embedded within or linked to from your website. We are currently offering aStore as a BETA to our Associates.
    So you essentially create your own datafeed site right from Amazon Associates Central.
    But are you still master of your domain?

Lightbulb
    with no evidence to support it, why do I get the feeling there will eventually be a small charge for this?

This may be a move to counter the pay-per-month "store" deals that have showed up lately. That part sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    with no evidence to support it, why do I get the feeling there will eventually be a small charge for this?
    I'm confused. Why would Amazon charge the webmaster for this feature?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Good! Saves me from bothering to figure out their other thing (the one that they say to use SOAP to make it work) which I've been putting off for a year!

But I still wish they'd fork up a real, CJ-style, non-XML datafeed.

I had created the aStore but do not understand this phrase:

The Get Link step of the configuration process will provide a single line of HTML code which needs to be copied to the Associates website. The HTML code can be integrated into an iframe on the website or placed directly in a page with sufficient space to render the complete store.

The code given is a one line code:

http://astore.amazon.com/associate-id

It works when I used this line to create the normal link i.e using <a href=...>Click here</a> whatever....

But this one I do not understand:
    or placed directly in a page with sufficient space to render the complete store.

How do I create this page using the one line code?

Thanks

Richard

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sounds like a GoldenCan scrip line
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Goldencan code is a js script when we placed in our page and when loaded it will show the products.

But amazon code is the normal html code and when you place on a page just using the code given http://astore.amazon.com/associate-id
    it will not show anything?????

ecomcity, you are right.

Today amazon had provided three options of placing the astore and one of them is just like GoldenCan.

Thanks
    Richard

Thumbs down aStore is bogus - here's the reason
    Hello everyone, take it from me - aStore is nothing but a cheap gift from Amazon.com which doesn't hold much worth. If you compare any highly selling product by looking at the description on an aStore page and an Amazon website listing then you'd be shocked to see that Amazon is supplying very small amount of text to aStore shops. In other words, product description is insufficient, aStore interface is a bit childish (customers won't take aStore seriously) and above all compare the number of customer reviews and images posted on the main Amazon site and the aStore site. Why would someone quit Amazon's main site and buy a high or a medium priced product from aStore?

In short aStore is not worth trying unless Amazon decides to make it more mature, information rich and more interactive.

A better option is to use any script available from different websites and have your own Amazon affiliate store (which would at least have a complete product descrition and multiple product images).

I think AStore just makes it easier for affiliates who does not want to deal with Amazon's complicated AWS.

I think every Astore looks and feel to similar to each other, which is a bad thing.

I have not tried it at all... is it based on Javascript? I think it is not. Which means it will show the HTML source and indexed by robots. But how about being penalized for duplicate content? Being that it is so similar to one another?

or placed directly in a page with sufficient space to render the complete store.

How do I create this page using the one line code?
    I haven't tried it, but seems it should work with frames? This might be a clunky way to handle it, though.

Code:
    <IFRAME style="width:000px;height:000px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" src="http://astore.amazon.com/associate-id"></IFRAME>
    <NOFRAMES><a href="http://astore.amazon.com/associate-id">My aStore Name</a></NOFRAMES>
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

it will show the HTML source and indexed by robots. But how about being penalized for duplicate content?
    See the URL's again. The aStores are on subdomains of the AMazon site.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread