I have been approached by a website who are prepared to pay money for my site to link to them - no problem there! The only thing is that the product is unrelated to my site and they are in effect buying in to my Google ranking. If I put up an unrelated link, will Google spot this and effectively downgrade me? The buyer does not care where the link goes, position size or anything. Also he wants the link hard coded on every page which means a fair amount of work. Obviously this guy knows how search engines work.

Also any ideas and how much should I charge - he wants a long term deal.

Gary

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: GaryS ]

The amount would be best decided on studying his site & guaging his spensing patterns or budget in advertising.

Maybe you charge 20$ monthly (long term yes-but he has to trust you & may per just monthly) or even 50-100$.

That's the max. unless your site is something massive ; )
    I don't think the se's would do anything to you, if it's JUST 1 link....
    Even if they do, you can repair that

Start by figuring the value of your time in adding the links - AND removing them later. Be generous with paying yourself.

Then decide how many visitors would be lost by following the links, and charge for that. How much do you value each visitor? Charge twice that.

Then pick a number out of the air.

Add all three together.

Then consult your inner self. Does that sound reasonable? Don't charge too little, even though your number sounds high.

I've been stuck in several deals where I charged too little and then I didn't want to change the rules later.

@ GaryS
    Whichever way you go you do not have to lose the visitors, just put target="_blank" at the end of his URL.

Thank you, your comments helped a lot.

Gary

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    An EASY way to get a hard-coded link at the bottom of every page is to use a site-wide find/replace.

Find for (/body).

Replace with
    (a href="http://www.somesite.com")Somesite(/)(/body)

(brackets changed so code will show...)

That'll put a link at the bottom of every page.

Use a site-wide or folder-wide find/replace and you'll have that "job" done in the amount of time it takes you to type that once, plus about 1 second for the program to do all the REAL work!

I'm not sure what kind of HTML editor you use but any of them that can do a folder-or site-wide find/replace (also called search/replace) should be able to do it.

HTH

Using the method that Leader describes and then putting the code into a SSI Include is a better option. Then you can always add to it, remove it etc by only changing 1 text file [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks. I use Dreamweaver so no problems with the global replace. The only boring bit is uploading 500 pages, even Dreamweaver can do that but it sometimes has a sledgehammer approach. The Server Side Includes is a great idea but it means that I would have to change all the pages to .shtml first and then ensure the server is configured to serve them otherwise it just sends out text.

Finally the really good news (check in the post!) he is prepared to pay $150 per month for the hard link and 3 months payment in advance. Considering what he gets and the time and trouble factor I think this is fair to both sides.

Gary

GaryS - CONGRATS !
    Very good amount.
    Seems you are a targeted and quality site for his biz.....

Gary
    You might not have to change all your pages to .shtml, see if your server will allow you to use a .htaccess file.

Gordon,

Yes I can access .htaccess (the server is only used by us.) however I thought shtml was only changable on the user interface - Raq4. Anyway I would still have to add the code for the SSI to each page, and I think this is a one off. I already have javascript sections which I can use for site wide changes, this guy is the first for a hard code update as searchengines do not read javascript out put.

Maybe I should start to learn PHP or ASP!

Gary

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread