Your Suggested Reading
    Howdy!

I thought I would create a thread that would share a bit about what we read (in relation to this business), and which book(s) we found to be the most helpful. Maybe we can share with each other those hidden gems that not everyone knows about.

I'll start it off. I do a lot of reading, and usually go through a few books a month. However, this month, I started and completed a title in about a week - it was that good and full of excellent info. The book was:

Search Engine Marketing, Inc (Mike Moran & Bill Hunt - IBM Press)
    http://www.mikemoran.com/searchmarketinginc/praise.htm

I've read a good handful of SEO books, and try to stay updated on various sites, but this one not only provided the usual SEO info, but it went way beyond by giving a lot of good technical info on WHY optimizers do what they do. It also explains how the search engines work (the good stuff) and why these kinds of optimizations currently work with the various search engines.

If you're willing to get a bit down and dirty with the technical stuff, I would recommend this one. If anything, it's still an interesting read - lots of "aha!" moments..

As for what I'm currently reading, it is: The Power of Focus (somewhat interesting so far - will share later).

Your turn!

edit: I guess I should mention that I'm in no way affiliated with the above seo book, or site!
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; August 23rd, 2006 at 10:09 AM.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    I love reading about consumer behavior Anything by Paco Underhill!
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Now that's something I've yet to delve into. I see a lot of "why customers buy" type of books out there (at my local B&N), but haven't opened one yet. Will have to look into it.

There are many books with "truths" and "principles" that can be applied to this business.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Such as?

I thought I would create a thread that would share a bit about what we read (in relation to this business), and which book(s) we found to be the most helpful. Maybe we can share with each other those hidden gems that not everyone knows about.
    While this it's not a link to a book, I have found that W3Schools is a very valuable web site, where anyone can go to learn a lot of free web building tutorials on just one site. At W3Schools you will find all the free Web-building tutorials you need to start learning, from basic HTML and XHTML to advanced XML, SQL, Database, Multimedia and WAP. Learn JavaScript, PHP, etc, etc.

One of the good features they have there is, that you can test how good you're doing on the tutorials by just taking a quiz about the subject you're learning there, or think that you already know.

I also like examples pages on which you can modify the code on the left window, and see how the results would look like on the right window, and without having to download anything to your HD first.

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Such as?
    It depends on what you're looking for and how in depth you'd like to go into the topic. I would never limit my scope to some recent (self-appointed) "Internet guru" ...

Believe it or not, there's a lot of eonomic theory and decision theory involved in motivating consumer behavior (but those topics can get deep).

If you're looking for entertaining (yet useful) advice about selling (in general but you can also apply the principles to selling over the web), try Dan Seidman:
    Dan Seidman is an early adopter of the Internet, selling for one of the first Internet job sites, Online Career Center, in 1993 (The site later merged with Monster.). He manages the popular Web site SalesAutopsy.com, a site of sales horror stories that Sales & Marketing Management Magazine has called "a cult hit among sales folks!"
    source
    He has a book called The Death of 20th Century Selling which has many golden nuggets of wisdom embedded in the humor:
    http://www.salesautopsy.com/book.html

Check out:
    http://www.salesautopsy.com/

There are many books out there that can be applied to your own Internet strategy (whatever that entails). I can't write about every book in one post

If you are interested in information economics and strategy (particularly in how to out-maneuver your opponents) try James D. Miller Game Theory at Work: How to Use Game Theory to Outthink and Outmaneuver Your Competition (buy it used from Amazon).

If Game Theory and Strategy really really interests you (and you want to delve in deep) then one of the most interesting writers on the topic is Eric Rasmusen: he's famous for Games and Information: An Introduction to Game Theory

One concept in the book an affilate webmaster would be intrigued with is the "unenthusiastic buyer" (and possible steps to change that) -- the strategies in anything written by Rasmusen will be complex and are not necessarily targeted at the Internet biz per se, so word to the wise: perhaps it's better to just stick with Dan Seidman.

Btw, you can probably borrow these books at your local library and/or request inter-library loan (try the book out for free and then if you really like it, buy it).
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 23rd, 2006 at 12:42 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    While this it's not a link to a book, I have found that W3Schools is a very valuable web site, where anyone can go to learn a lot of free web building tutorials on just one site. At W3Schools you will find all the free Web-building tutorials you need to start learning, from basic HTML and XHTML to advanced XML, SQL, Database, Multimedia and WAP. Learn JavaScript, PHP, etc, etc.

One of the good features they have there is, that you can test how good you're doing on the tutorials by just taking a quiz about the subject you're learning there, or think that you already know.

I also like examples pages on which you can modify the code on the left window, and see how the results would look like on the right window, and without having to download anything to your HD first.

Sal.
    W3School is great! I've used it a good many times...although it took a little bit of time to familiarize myself with their layout. Didn't know about the quizzes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    It depends on what you're looking for and how in depth you'd like to go into the topic. I would never limit my scope to some recent "Internet guru" ...

Believe it or not, there's a lot of eonomic theory and decision theory involved in motivating consumer behavior (but those topics can get deep).

If you're looking for entertaining (yet useful) advice about selling (in general but you can also apply the principles to selling over the web), try Dan Seidman:

He has a book called The Death of 20th Century Selling which has many golden nuggets of wisdom embedded in the humor:
    http://www.salesautopsy.com/book.html

Check out:
    http://www.salesautopsy.com/

There are many books out there that can be applied to your own Internet strategy (whatever that entails). I can't write about every book in one post

If you are interested in information economics and strategy (particularly in how to out-maneuver your opponents) try James D. Miller Game Theory at Work: How to Use Game Theory to Outthink and Outmaneuver Your Competition (buy it used from Amazon).

If Game Theory and Strategy really really interests you (and you want to delve in deep) then one of the most interesting writers on the topic is Eric Rasmusen he's famous for Games and Information: An Introduction to Game Theory (Hardcover)

One concept in the book an affilate webmaster would be intrigued with is the "unenthusiastic buyer" (and possible steps to change that) -- the strategies in anything written by Rasmusen will be complex and are not necessarily targeted and the Internet biz per se, so word to the wise: perhaps it's better to just stick with Dan Seidman.

Btw, you can probably borrow these books at your local library and/or request inter-library loan (try the book out for free and then if you really like it, buy it).

Game theory huh? Now that's something I've read a little bit about - but not enough to pretend to understand it. Did you find those books pretty helpful overall, to your business strategy? Thanks for the suggestions.

Game theory huh? Now that's something I've read a little bit about - but not enough to pretend to understand it. Did you find those books pretty helpful overall, to your business strategy? Thanks for the suggestions.
    Those books take a while to digest.
    Start with Miller as his book is more straight forward.
    Neither Miller nor Rasmusen will tell you how to build a website or which AM networks to join, but if you are interested in business strategies they are interesting.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Targeting the "Baby Boom" generation
    If you'd like a book that takes statistics and melds the stats with Psychographics in order to target and to sell to people 40 and up (a big chunk of the U.S. population) try Marketing to the Mindset of Boomers and Their Elders by Carol M. Morgan and Doran J. Levy (available at Amazon).

The book analyzes everything about the attitudes of "Boomers+."
    What are the attitudes of these people? What is their lifestyle? How do they allocate money? People are segmented into different financial categories.
    Different types of styles including likes and dislikes (details into shopping patterns and health characteristics) are analyzed plus there are references at the end of each chapter.
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 23rd, 2006 at 01:49 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador

Thanks for the suggestions! I know there are some excellent books out there, just need to coax the info from some of ya!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Psychographics is the best overall comprehensive guide to selling I've found in a long time. Hard to find the specific info online but anything that teaches it is invaluable. Tony Robbins does a big thing on psychographics but I've only heard about it from my brother who is a card carrying member of Tony Robbins' training seminars.

"Know your audience" is key.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I've never heard of psychographics. Going to do some research on it tonight if I have a moment - sounds interesting! I've definitely heard of Tony Robbins (had one of his audio books way back when) - and seen him and his acting skills in "Shallow Hal"..

Behavioral Targeting
    Here's an interesting group of articles dedicated to behavioral targeting and marketing online:

http://www.adotas.com/tag/behavioral_targeting/

Check out Pew/Internet & American Life Project
    http://www.pewinternet.org/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I've never heard of psychographics. Going to do some research on it tonight if I have a moment - sounds interesting!
    Here's a quick definition:

Psychographics segment people by something less clearly ascertainable and often disputable: their 'life-style'. A person's lifestyle is built up from his or her attitudes, beliefs, interests and habits. source
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia7, you rock! Love game theory, one of my fav classes in grad school. Will definitely put these on the list.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Rhia7, you rock! Love game theory, one of my fav classes in grad school. Will definitely put these on the list.
    I'd be interested to know what you are studying in grad school (if you prefer not to say on the forum you can PM me ... if you prefer not to reveal anything, that's okay too).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

PM'd.

Wow, great thread!

While some of his stuff is outdated, David Ogilvy is definitely one of my all time favorites and a great book for anyone going into marketing, whether offline or online.

The man was brilliant and coined some of my favorite quotes on advertising.

Advertising people who ignore research are as dangerous as generals who ignore decodes of enemy signals.

Never stop testing, and your advertising will never stop improving.

And my alltime favorite...

Give people a taste of Old Crow, and tell them it's Old Crow. Then give them another taste of Old Crow, but tell them it's Jack Daniel's. Ask them which they prefer. They'll think the two drinks are quite different. They are tasting images.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread