ABW Ambassador
    100's of pages, but only about 20% make 99% of the money, should I forget about the rest?

I've had great success with many items/merchants and work on these pages alot. However, most of my pages don't do squat. So I've been going back to them to try and fix them up and increase sales. But so far... it's only resulted in a spittering of sales. So, should I just give up on them and concentrate on getting more traffic to those that do? Or try something new altogether?

TIA.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

This is very similar to something known as Pareto's Principle or 80/20 rule in Economics and retail - that 80% of the results come from 20% of the effort. Applying it here, it would follow that you focus your attention on the 20% that is in fact producing the income.

In otherwords follow the Leader [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

{

Stuff that makes me go, "huh?"

Tastes and trends change on the internet and off. I guess I'd concentrate on the 20% while keeping an eye on anything in the 80% that seemed to be picking up (and anything in the 20% that seemed to be dropping off).

Just be sure "concentrate on" doesn't cross over into "screw with".

ABW Ambassador
    What is the reason the other pages aren't producing - are they buried in the search engines, are they not as visible in your site architecture ?

I would look to these things first and foremost. If they rank well and there is a clear path to these pages, then I would use them to leverage more results for your high producing pages - maybe add another couple of keyword rich text links back to the successful pages, redistribute your pagerank so that it flows naturally into the revenue producing pages and not out to unsuccessful pages, that kind of thing.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

I find the same thing with my web sites. 20% do good while 80% do poor. Guess the rull is true.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

Does this also apply to products of merchants? Like only 20% of their products make 99% of their revenues? Any merchants want to comment?

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread