I'm trying to automate my download and ...
    After being beat up using several ftp programs (MS ftp, WS_FTP, CoffeeCup ...) I happened on to wget for windows that seems to have enough control switches I might be able to automate my process. Does anyone have a wget script that they'd share that checks some sort of error code so I can tell when I got a good file download and when I'll need to redo the download

Thanks - Charles

Is this something that you are going to want to automate at your website or just on your local personal computer?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

wget download script sample wanted ...
    Patrick - I'm looking for a wget sample to download the datafiles to my local workstation.

Charles

There is no sample, just type wget http://wwww.domain.com/filename.txt

That is it, nothing more complicated than that, if you want to add lots to your windows system then just make a bash file (or whatever they call it on windows, sorry linux geek here) and add the command above to a new line for each.

Pricethat is right, it's really that simple. I do it a little bit more complex but just a wee little bit.

WGET --output-document=befree\acehardware_products.txt.gz ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.befree.c...roducts.txt.gz -a logfile.txt

I output the document to a seperate folder, as you can tell, by network, then rename it so I know what the heck I am working with. I also log each download so I know what happened if there are any errors.

Lastly, and a bit outsite wget, I use my command file to delete the old backup file, rename the old file to a backup file and use the winzip command prompt addon to automatically extract the new files so they are ready for processing.

I have one script for each of the networks and one for each indie. Each is scheduled and runs automatically at different times depending on when they are usually updated by the merchant or network.

There are wget commands you can use to check timestamps but I have never been able to make them work reliably. More I think my limitation than the programs
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Thank you all for your suggestions - since I first wrote, I've been using wget in the 'simple open loop' (no error action mode) and I have been impressed how reliable and fast it is - much better than any of the alternatives I've tried.

Charles

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread