What do you guys think? Are you annoyed if a link is opened in a new window? I'm planning to set those links out to open in a new window. Any feedback will be appreciated.

ABW Ambassador
    This is much like the Netscape vs IE Explorer debate...Lot's of opinions, and all of them are correct [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Personally, I prefer links to open in the same window. With the over-abundance of pop-ups, I think people click happy for that 'x' button whenever a new window opens, even if they clicked on a link to make it open. I want it to be smooth as possible for our visitors. In some cases, I will open in a new window. Most banner ads I have will open in a new window. Also, if a merchant disables the back button, or otherwise won't let the visitor back, I'll open it in a new window. Also, in our client managers (the screens our customers see when logged in), I'll open outside links in a new window. This keeps them logged in and in their admin area.

There are a lot of sites offering both now. They will have the link and the a gif or something saying click for new window. The surfer can make their own choice and will love you for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The surfer can make their own choice and will love you for it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that advice. Personally I like new windows. I have my own browser set up to open new windows for my own bookmarks so I can do more than one thing at once and not lose track of it all.

Probably thinly veiled attention deficit syndrome but that would depend on whatever it was we were originally talking about. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    On my sites, I have everything open in the same window because it seems to convert better.

Although when I myself am surfing, I will usually right-click/new window to make SURE I get another window.

The operant word there, though, is "surfing". My sites don't cater to "surfers" who are just going from one site to another--my sites are for BUYERS. If the nonbuyers are inconvenienced, well too bad! And as for the buyers--they will be happy enough to go to the merchant's site and stay there. There's no need to make it easy for them to come back to my site without completing the commissionable action!

It depends.

If I turned "My Witch Shop" into a collection of show cases for local Pagan artisans and their products, I would leave the main window open so it could be referred back to for the various artists. I would have a mini site for "Dragon Bob" open in a new window and a mini site for "Cime ShadowWeaver" open in yet another window. But, each artist's products and information would stay within their own window.

Outside advertisers always open in a new window. They don't pay enough to run off scott free with my traffic.

So, in other words, their should be a logical reason to open a new window and separate the new topic from what the viewer has just seen. The reason here is that I want the main page to stay open behind "Dragon Bob" so that after they have finished shopping around his site and while the credit card is still warm in their hand, they will see the link to "Cime ShadowWeaver" when they close "Dragon Bob's" window.

This is just my opinion. Mind you, I don't make much money and I don't actually have the sites in the example at this time so don't go by me.

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

One thing to remember is there are a few sites that still use the trap the visitor forever on their site. Not allowing the back button to work. For those merchants I will have a new window open up other wise the chance of them getting back to your site is slim. I try not to use them merchants period but there are a few that convert so I don't have a choice.

Thanks for the replies guys.

My site is some sort of directory that provides information. I open a new window for those that are non paid links to other sites that provide information. Those affiliate links in the page I maintain in the same page.

I'm still experimenting at these. Wonder if people are annoyed of the inconsistency in a page?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread