Brainstorm: How to Promote High End Tea?
    So... I'm digging for "angles" to reach a very niche customer base through an affiliate program.

The short version of the long story of our product line is this: we sell tea. We don't really compete against 90% of other tea vendors out there, as most of the market is cheap infusions, obscure Chinese loose leaf stuff, and more along those lines.

It's like the cherry flavor cigar you buy at 7/11 compared to a Cuban cigar (or maybe something that you can actually legally acquire, but you get my point).

My problem is now of course, that I don't want to upset affiliates who list us - as we're going for an audience who may want something like a Darjeeling tea (one of the most renowned tea regions, with many 'fake' Darjeelings on the market). Many visitors who may be interested in tea will see our limited selection, high prices, and turn to some site with a huge range of cheap infused stuff.

That's my dillemma. How can I help prospective affiliates and existing affiliates to make the most out of our program? We do pay a 25% commission (which can amount to some very nice payouts), and offer the two-tier program. So, the financial incentive is there, just how to help get them strong conversions?

Thanks for any ideas, thoughts, insights!
    [B]Samboya, LLC.[/B]
    The Finest Teas on Earth

Find our program [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=5379]here[/URL] .

A single sales of just one 4oz. bag of Darjeeling tea earns you over $20 in commissions! Updated abandoned cart recovery feature increases sales retention by 18%. We always work to improve conversion rates and your profit opportunity.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    First you put an outrageous tax on it. Then you wait until the locals rebel and toss the lot of it into the harbor. When the media pounces you'll be all set.

Seriously, do write-ups of the various tea blends. Talk about them in the same way that oenophiles discuss the differences in wines. (Surely tea mush have a nose.) Talk about the difference between black and green tea. How-tos for an English Tea Party and a Japanese Tea Celebration. Dare people to try Lapsang Souchong. Offer sample packs. Offer tea party gift sets. Design a classy bachelorette party around tea.

Sheesh. I had no idea I knew so much about tea.

First you put an outrageous tax on it. Then you wait until the locals rebel and toss the lot of it into the harbor. When the media pounces you'll be all set.
    LOL.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lightbulb
    I remember when the encyclopedias showed a picture of the tea bush and labeled every leaf with its proper name. But that's possible overkill.

Probably would be the basis of an article about the top leaves, however, and how to buy them.

Just read this write up "Tea 'healthier' drink than water " from BBC.

Full write up http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5281046.stm

This may help to get more people to drink tea.

Thanks

Yea, good point. Some of our teas are actually picked from specific parts of the tea bush, and even during very specific times of the season.

The tax thing sounds like a good idea too, but I'll have to run for office first, I think?
    [B]Samboya, LLC.[/B]
    The Finest Teas on Earth

Find our program [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=5379]here[/URL] .

A single sales of just one 4oz. bag of Darjeeling tea earns you over $20 in commissions! Updated abandoned cart recovery feature increases sales retention by 18%. We always work to improve conversion rates and your profit opportunity.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by wayandrs
    Yea, good point. Some of our teas are actually picked from specific parts of the tea bush, and even during very specific times of the season.
    I often wondered if there was any special reason for calling certain leaves "first-" and "second-gunpowder." (maybe they smoked them?)

There must be some reason to drink the good stuff rather than the cheap knock-offs. The benefit to the customer needs to be demonstrated in as many ways as possible. Articles, pictures, tips, stats, cliches, videos, etc. Then share them with your affiliates.

When in doubt, get some ideas from others!

A quick search turned up a bunch of links. Here are two:

http://www.republicoftea.com/
    http://www.teaforte.com/

They have the look and feel and branding down. Don't be afraid to get some "inspiration" from them I'd say.

If your brand really is high end, you are selling the experience just as much as the product right? Get your look and feel right on your ads and on your website. Get articles, FAQ's, tips, little known facts, and tie it all in with the brand. Why does anyone buy a more expensive item when something cheaper is available? Image, experience, perceived quality, etc...

Good luck!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread