This is a leak right?
    I am still learning things so I'd appreciate some feedback. I signed up for a merchant. While checking out their site I found a link for affiliate guide dot com. You can remove the spaces and change the dot to an actual dot. That's considered a leak right? I am having a rough couple days businesswise so I'm not sure I am thinking clearly. When I first saw the link labeled "Affiliate Guide" I thought it was for the merchants affiliates so I am annoyed with myself for not investigating before signing up. Should I just forget this merchant or is this no big deal?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Is the link an affiliate link and is what they sell affiliate related? affiliate guide dot com looks like an affiliate directory site with affiliate links to aff programs.

Thanks for answering. If I were to refer someone to this merchant's site and they decided to click on the affiliate guide link and they then clicked on the links on the left they get to pages that list other companies with affiliate programs. I picked 3 random categories and then clicked on seven different links. Two of these links go to the merchant affiliate program info pages but five that I checked go to a home page where shopping goes on. I promote some of these merchants. I guess the chances of someone who was looking for a product would jump around like I did and after 10 minutes of jumping buy something but still. Just doesn't sit right with me.

ABW Ambassador
    If must be a small type merchant, don't see many big ones with links to affiliate guides. The reality is you're probably not losing anything sending traffic to the merchant since most people don't even know what "affiliate" is and didn't arrive at the site for that kind of thing. Here's a leaky merchant at LS I pulled awhile ago:

http://www.youractivepet.com/

Right on the home page, big leak to 1800PetMeds and Sierra Trading Post, their own affiliate links.

Thanks Trust. I'll have to think about what I'll do. I find it comforting to know you don't think I'd lose much traffic. Going to put off deciding to add their links for a day or so, or at least til I'm in a better mood.

I checked out the site you listed. If it wasn't for Sierra & Petmed links that looked like a good company. Hope you didn't put too much work into them.

Thanks again.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Leak
    Thanks for bringing this up Mellie - and Trust thank you for including a link to an example of a "leaky" site. We talked about leaks at Andy's class last week, but I too was not too clear on the topic. Your example is most useful and clarifies the conflict such a site can cause.

Thanks again to you both for addressing this further.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    OK I was asked to join a program the other day and they were using one of those Linking programs to link out to a bunch of other sites (and of course try to draw traffic in) these guys said they were brand new merchants and had just joined SAS (said 3 people had already signed up) I told them to come here and read up about leaks and also to talk to Brian about why they are not good.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread