My Brother-in-law is in the navy at the Connecticut naval submarine base and got himself into some real trouble.

The problem we have is we can't find him because he wasn't able to get a phone number to us. He gave us this much 786-**** but didn't give us an area code for this number.

There are two area codes in Connecticut and we tried them but they didn't work. Does anyone know where 786 might match up with an area code close to the base?

H,

203 or 860!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    203, 475, 860, 959

ABW Ambassador
    Contact the main office at the naval base.
    They probably won't give you info but should be willing to send a message to his CO, who can pass it on to him.

You *sure* 786 is part of a phone number? I've seen in it connection with submarines before.

I found this. Maybe it helps?

Connecticut
    Naval Submarine Base, New London (860) 694-4500, DSN 694-4500

I

I called info and their is not a number for any sub base in CT!

(203) still goes to the other exchanges :P

I even tried the MPs (military police) to find out what the # was and just got lost in voicemail h*ll.

Haiko

Heyder, I sent ya a pm. Probably won't be of much help but maybe the base operator can help. 860 would be my bet though for the rest of the number.

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: GameBoy ]

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.navyallotment.com/newlondon.html

Lists a bunch of phone numbers including: MAIN PHONE NUMBERS
    Commercial: (860) 449-4636 or DSN: 241-4500

Thank you so much for all the help. We found out he was taken to Rhode Island and the number he gave us was only a payphone or something like that.

I have to say I don't get this miliatary of ours but then again I'm very glad to have them. My brother-in-law was a fine person and now it seems like his mind is getting messed up. He was always full of life, happy and did the right things. The last I saw him at Christmas he seemed like a zombie and I knew then he was different.

Many people don't respond well to hierarchies. The kinds of things we tolerate during childhood and adolescence are rarely appropropriate at 25 :/

It might be that he fit in well when he joined, but having someone tell you when to eat, sleep and sh*t when you're all grown up is going to cause conflict.

It sounds like he has a stress related disorder. If he's done something his bosses don't like, then it might well be a sign he can't cope with having his thinking done for him. If he has been tearing things up and maybe thumped someone - I'd call it a good sign that he has his free will left.

Or maybe it went too far the other way, and gave up thinking entirely.

Either way I'd see about getting him out on a medical certificate. This environment is no longer appropriate for him and I think you should get him a sympathetic non-military shrink to give him the once-over with a view to diagnosing Post Traumatic Stress disorder.

Good luck.

Don't take this as a criticism of the military. Some people work well in hierarchies, and some do not. I have a preference for those who do not - but some of my best buddies are ex-military.

I

Icicle

I think you're right on.

I guess he is mad that they stuck him in connecticut or something like that. I can understand because he started out at the nuclear submarine school in South Carolina and he was so proud to be going to nuclear engineering school until he failed so they sent him elsewhere.

He and a friend went out in the middle of the night and broke into some building on the beach and trashed it. It makes me sick to think he would do something like that.

The William I've known for the last 12 years wouldn't do anything like that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Area code 786:

Coral Gables, Hialeah, Homestead, Key Biscayne, Miami, Perrine;
    Florida
    USA 1 786

Best to contact him through his unit HQ as suggested. If you're *really* worried about him maybe you should speak to his CO.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread