Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Recommended Program
    Andy says, I do

Andy recommended to us Affiliate Managers that we walk in the affiliates shoes. While I have done that, it has a. been a long time and b. was in a field completely unrelated to my field (insurance)

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for affiliate programs through ShareASale specifically that they would recommend?

I would prefer to obviously not do anything in insurance, but preferably something in lead gen and/or finance. I know that is specific, but even if not in those fields, I am still open to any advice.

Thanks a ton!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    Andy recommended to us Affiliate Managers that we walk in the affiliates shoes
    Matt, the very first step taken wearing affiliate shoes is digging through and deciding what to pick without having a clue, since generally no one will tell what programs or niches to go with.

That's pretty much based on the old saying "Does Gimbels tell Macy's?" meaning will someone give another person information that'll give them an edge as a competitor? Thats' a pretty common self-defense mechanism. Yet, in some cases that would best be bypassed if the situation meant that two parties could cooperate with each other for mutual benefit.

That said, financial programs including mortage (and excluding homeowners insurance if that's your field that you want to stay clear of) are plentiful. But there's mega competition, so the best thing is to do due diligence with keyword research and competitive analysis. and pick a narrow niche that isn't yet over-crowded.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Webworker's answer is the right one, but since I know you, I'd suggest you pick one of Andy's programs, other ones managed by AMs / OPMs that post here at ABW, one of the SAS / Carolyn managed ones (villagehatshop, bentgear) or Kristin's batteries.com SAS program.

webworker, I figured that was the answer and appreciate the feedback!

It makes total sense, and so I will embark on a journey to find the right one

It's good to know Donuts it seems

Can't wait to get started!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    And don't pick any with $0 EPC for 7 Day/3 Month. With those, if it's one you're really interested in, I would do a test purchase. For me, not touching them.

Are you going to build a website? If you want to learn about affiliates, build one then ask us for a review here at ABW. :-)

Place here where you can ask for site / banner / logo reviews:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Internet Cowboy
    ...and don't take any wooden nickels

And pick one on "autodeposit" - chances of you not getting paid (because a merchant goes under or changes networks or whatever) approach zero.

Look for logo when you're screening merchants that looks like....

AUTO
    $$$$

Internet Cowboy
    We should send him to LS for at least one program and to CJ for another. For anyone to get a real feel, you should have to witness some of the idiocy of these networks first-hand. SAS is our Oasis, but the reality is that we are forced to use the others as well from time to time.

Matt, diversify!!! lol You need other networks and they need you. They have things like LMI to tell you all about on a regular basis

Donuts, Scooter, You guys rock!

So you really want me to see the other networks after all the good stuff I heard about SAS this weekend?

I decided to stick with them for this venture because of you guys ;-) But I can see where having a tough experience can be of a benefit in other ways.

I have done some research and found two good ones I think that are close enough to my vertical (lead gen) but nothing to do with financial stuff.

My intention is to get the real deal from the affiliate's perspective, so I am trying to build it on my own...with only a few bucks and some late nights.

I have already learned so much about the SAS the affiliates see. It had been over 3 months since I even saw our program from their eyes...so I am ready to utterly change our program there too.

I will be doing a web site and some PPC as well. I am not even going to talk to our marketing department for at least 4 months about their ideas. I'm going to learn myself.

Let the journey begin...wish me luck!
    Matt McWilliams

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    And don't pick any with $0 EPC for 7 Day/3 Month. With those, if it's one you're really interested in, I would do a test purchase. For me, not touching them.
    HA! I believe the phrase 10 foot pole comes to mind
    Matt McWilliams

Talking
    Hands on is the best way to learn anything.

You may have a masters degree from college in a field - but that is all theory.

When you get out in the real world you you get to see what reality is vs theory.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams

I would prefer to obviously not do anything in insurance, but preferably something in lead gen and/or finance. I know that is specific, but even if not in those fields, I am still open to any advice.
    Instead of picking finance, who not pick a niche related to a hobby you enjoy such as a sport or something else that you like?

I have a friend who loves Corvettes.
    He designs websites with information about Corvettes (and a related club) and he does well selling posters of Corvettes -- cool cars.

A website about a topic you genuinely like will be easier to maintain and update
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Instead of picking finance, who not pick a niche related to a hobby you enjoy such as a sport or something else that you like?

I have a friend who loves Corvettes.
    He designs websites with information about Corvettes (and a related club) and he does well selling posters of Corvettes -- cool cars.

A website about a topic you genuinely like will be easier to maintain and update
    Excellent advice. In Chicago someone asked me if I could start over would I do anything different. I said sure I would. I would start with familiar topics and build deeper and more reliable (search-wise) sites than starting off going crazy with a bunch of datafeeds like I did. The datafeed sites all seemed to die at once when things changed. I adapted, but there was a time where it was tough. If I had started with a base of a few good content-rich, targetted niche sites the datafeed crash would not have hurt so badly.

Very true. You can write all day about stuff you love.

I just might do two of these things.

Rhia and Scooter, thanks for the suggestion there. I definitely have a few hobbies I can think of that I would not mind working on...back to drawing board I go!
    Matt McWilliams

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Excellent advice. In Chicago someone asked me if I could start over would I do anything different. I said sure I would. I would start with familiar topics and build deeper and more reliable (search-wise) sites than starting off going crazy with a bunch of datafeeds like I did.
    A webmaster who is clever with datafeeds might do well by concentrating on a particular feed that complements the site.

Instead of choosing multiple feeds that might get out of hand, the wise thing is to concentrate perhaps on one or two.

The friend I am thinking of loves cars and motorcycles and is willing to talk and/or write anything about cars and motorcycles. Any topic involving the maintenance of a car or the steps to wash it and buff it for show and everything in between, that's what he writes about mainly. So if there is a feed devoted to car accessories, I'm sure he'd do well. The posters are very decorative on his site.

The key is for the webmaster to find something he/she can be enthusiastic about -- sometimes a webmaster (like myself) is enthusiastic about multiple topics (that don't always seem to correspond) but my advice to anyone starting out or starting over is to pick something that really interests you because your enthusiasm in the subject will persuade visitors to buy from your affiliate links.

If you have a day job you can think of your website as a break, a creative outlet to explore things that you don't have time to discuss during your day job ... oooh, but be careful what you write so that your site is not noticed by your employer.
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 24th, 2006 at 08:59 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread