Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Action Jackson - King of the World
    isn't Fat Wallet a bad seed? Or am I thinking of someone else.

ABW Ambassador
    Must be somebody else. Fatwallet is a great site, good clean affiliate.
    http://www.fastcompany.com/fast50_06/profile/?storm369

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Must be somebody else. Fatwallet is a great site, good clean affiliate.
    http://www.fastcompany.com/fast50_06/profile/?storm369
    Remember the fatwallet toolbar:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...8&page=1&pp=25
    that wasn't a nice piece of software from them.

FatWallet's toolbar was clean. See Haiko's response:

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I can confirm that Tim's toolbar is NOT predatory!

Tim, also, was kind enough to ask me to help him QA it and I can say that it is clean, and that I seriously doubt, knowing Tim, that it will ever be dirty!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Not to get in an argument, and I'll let people decide for themselves, but I read a lot of the replies, and while it didn't stuff cookies, it provided popups to their site when users arrived at the store pages. I was under the impression that that tactic has been frowned upon too by folks here?

I could be wrong, but I don't think their toolbar even made it out of beta, so it's really a moot point. FatWallet.com is a clean affiliate and always has been.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    You didn't read the whole thread then. They never came out with it. Never had a toolbar. They're an example of how to do things right. How a rebate site is supposed to work, with people shopping thru the site, not thru some toolbar that just targets the merchant domain.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I could be wrong, but I don't think their toolbar even made it out of beta, so it's really a moot point. FatWallet.com is a clean affiliate and always has been.
    Do you like this thing too:
    http://www.fatwallet.com/fwnowsetup.php

So Clean

ABW Ambassador
    hmm. I haven't seen something like that before.

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    Do you like this thing too:

So Clean
    That's new to me too. RBG, how did you get to this page:

I don't see a link to it on the front page of the site.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Never mind I found the announcement:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/645761

Looks like it was just released yesterday. It seems above board, as the user has to click on the FatWallet Now button when they are at a merchant's site to view a list of deals that are available for that store. Only thing I would be concerned about is if it sets a cookie when the button is pushed or does it require the user to click on one of their deals before a cookie is set. Has anyone tested this yet?

-- Todd

P.S. Mods, can we shift these posts about FatWallet Now into a new thread?
    Last edited by tmartini; August 24th, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

I don't have any problem with the FatWallet Now button. It's only installed if a user requests it and it's only activated when a user chooses to activate it.

P.S. I split this out and moved it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Internet Cowboy
    Well this looks just like Pronto to me. Pronto works much the same way and was deemed as parasitic by AFP and many others. What's the difference?????

15 years and counting
    What's the deal between a shopping site and Wiki? Are we talking Wikipedia? Wikipedia is a wiki, a term that is derived from the Hawaiian word for "quick"
    http://beta.fatwallet.com/wiki/

The idea to associate Wiki and Fat Wallet is weird. Who is trying to take advantage of the other? A knowledge repository for products, merchants, manufacturers, services and any other information important to savvy online shoppers.
    Is Wikipedia selling their soul? Are they trying to monetize their placement in Google?
    Is Fat Wallet surfing on the success of Wikipedia by launching an ersatz?

ABW Ambassador
    A wiki is just a type of site that anyone can add to. There are scripts available, anyone can do them.

Wink
    Yeah, wiki scripts, and sites are a dime a dozen.
    I like the fatwallet site, but it's interesting that incentive sites are always drawn towards the tool-bars and downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Well this looks just like Pronto to me. Pronto works much the same way and was deemed as parasitic by AFP and many others. What's the difference?????
    I don't know anything about Pronto.

What FatWallet is doing, from what I can tell, is no different than a fancy bookmark/favorite. You have to intentionally add it to your browser and you have to intentionally choose it in order for it to do anything.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I don't know anything about Pronto.

What FatWallet is doing, from what I can tell, is no different than a fancy bookmark/favorite. You have to intentionally add it to your browser and you have to intentionally choose it in order for it to do anything.
    I'm pretty sure Michael is correct, but my question is does it set/overwrite the cookie when the button is pressed or does it wait until the user clicks on one of the deals/coupons/links that pop up. If it's the latter I have no problem with it.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

I don't know if it sets a cookie, but when I click the toolbar link when I'm at a merchant, the fatwallet popup happens, and my original page refreshes, so I am thinking it is setting a cookie at that time.

Well, don't you need to intentionally add the ebates or upromise toolbars too?

As to that wiki page on their site, I took a look just now, and it just seems like a mess to me. Maybe they're just using it to get more pages on search engines?

Tim is a very honest person , runs his business that way, and has always done so since it opened in late 1999. If anyone has an issue with fatwallet, Tim, or his new bookmarking software, you should contact him directly and ask, rather than speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Tim is a very honest person , runs his business that way, and has always done so since it opened in late 1999. If anyone has an issue with fatwallet, Tim, or his new bookmarking software, you should contact him directly and ask, rather than speculate.
    Actually I think that's a good idea. Who has Tim in their rolodex? (I only met him in passing at a conference one time)

Personally I'm 99.9% sure that this is all above board, but hearing how it works from Tim would still be nice.
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Tim is a very honest person , runs his business that way, and has always done so since it opened in late 1999.
    I am not an evil person, but I don't really see why so many of you bow-down to him/his site? Sure they probably make 10x more money than the next biggest affiliate, but I have seen a lot of issues with that site over the years.
    From the Store standpoint, they constantly allow unathorized coupons to be posted without removing them, to the point where they've been dropped by several merchants. They allow the users to post schemes about buying items at one store and returning at another; They allow other schemes that I've seen too.
    On the affiliate side, Tim/Fatwallet undenyably did develop that initial fatwallet toolbar, although it didn't make it out of beta, it was around for a while and widely publicized on their site.
    I do think for the most part, they're playing above the board, (but so does ebates most of the time), I just have a problem with so many people saying how wonderful he/fatwallet is all the time. There are plenty of other affiliates that I can think of that I've never heard anything bad about at all, including you two, Michael & Todd, whom I'm sure make a great living in this market too.
    Okay, that's my 2 cents, you can bash me now.

I installed and tested FatWallet Now, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. As I said before, it's nothing but a fancy bookmark. It doesn't stuff cookies. It doesn't even set a cookie when you click it. It just displays the promotions, forum posts, and rating for the merchant whose site you're on. You have to take an additional action even beyond that to set a cookie.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Advanced bookmark, Kellie tested it:

http://affiliatefairplay.com/newsblo...mmary/#more-20

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Advanced bookmark, Kellie tested it:

http://affiliatefairplay.com/newsblo...mmary/#more-20
    Thanks Trust, that answers my question. (i.e. it DOESN'T set a cookie when you click on it)
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast