Factors to be considered before selecting an affiliate product for promotion
    hi all,

am new to affiliate marketing. can anyone tel me what are the different factors tat are to be considered before selecting one affiliate product for promoting through our website other than commisson rate, frequency of payment,quality of the landing page etc.

thanks in advance
    aravind

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I moved this thread here since it's not specific to Linkshare.

Is this section for LS users? I even did not know that!

Quote Originally Posted by aravindramesh
    what are the different factors that are to be considered before selecting one affiliate product for promoting through our website other than commisson rate, frequency of payment,quality of the landing page etc.
    The single most important factor, in my opinion, is relevance. You will only get meaningful results if the products are related in some way to the topic of your web site. If my web site is about "making paper airplanes," then logical promotions would be for books and calendars on that topic. Other opportunities might include: origami books/calendars/kits; model airplanes; perhaps other hobby and craft products. Poor choices would include "firefighter calendars," "travel promotions," or "online gambling."

Of course, weird stuff happens: sometimes people will click on a wildly off-topic link; I've had people click an Amazon book link on my "lesson plans for English teachers" site and then buy a Grateful Dead music CD, toasters, and t-shirts.

One key problem I've seen from newbies is that their focus is on identifying products and then they just plop a catalog page onto their web site. It's much more effective to identify a "need for information," and provide a web site that provides objective information and not "sales pitches."

If I want to buy a new laser printer, I want a site that discusses the relevant issues and identifies benefits and drawbacks of various technologies and products. If my research brings me to web sites that simply promote specific printers (and toner and ink cartridges), I'll move on to another web site that is more helpful in my research. I am most likely to click away to a merchant if I had a specific question that has now been answered. I am not very likely to click away to a merchant if I had a question which has not been answered -- instead, I'll go back to Google and search further.

The problem, of course, is that writing useful information (or even creating a useful directory) takes time.

It may take me 2 to 4 hours to write a useful product review (when I wrote reviews of computer products for publication in magazines and newspapers, I'd usually spend 12 to 20 hours). If I post the review on one of my web sites, it might draw people and generate some sales, or it might not. My site is much more likely to draw an audience if I write a lot of reviews (covering multiple products that consumers may be considering), which means spending a lot of time in a specific product category or niche. And in the end, even a good quality site with objective, relevant content may not be able to draw traffic because of the way Google and other search engines index and sort sites.

None of my "quick and dirty" product sites have ever generated meaningful sales. Only my sites that provide relevant, useful content have generated meaningful affiliate earnings.

ABW Ambassador
    It is easier to build a good site if it's on a subject that you are interested in and knowledge of.

2 questions

Will people buy it?

If so, can I present the product effectively and reach the people who would buy it?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamPrints
    Is this section for LS users? I even did not know that!
    The only LS-specific section is the LinkShare forum. It's not just for LS users--but, it is for comments and questions about LS and its merchants.

Since this is both a general question and a "new affiliate" question, I moved the thread to Newbie FAQs.

Thanks, Leader. I do understand it now. I just read your post incorrectly.

am new to affiliate marketing. can anyone tel me what are the different factors tat are to be considered before selecting one affiliate product for promoting through our website other than commisson rate, frequency of payment,quality of the landing page etc.
    I do agree that the most important criteria that work is the relevance to your site and your own preferences (what would be interesting for you to promote).
    When you define the niche, just compare several programs in it and choose the best (highest commission and most reliable site)

As for the question itself:

First, it's not just a matter of picking a product. If you don't already have a merchant lined up with the item, it also entails picking a merchant.

So, the big factors I consider are:
    Will the item(s) sell, and will the merchant pay?

Added: I forgot the biggest one--Is the commission/payout high enough to bother with the item at all?

Those are the three biggies I consider when picking a product/merchant to promote.

The commission has to be worthwhile, otherwise there's no point in going further. I'm not typing, coding, or even just uploading anything, for a stinkin' 1-4%. My time is worth more than that. If the merchant can't afford to pay a real commission percentage, they can't afford to be on my sites.

"Will it sell" encompasses other sub-questions, like:
    Is the market saturated with affs trying to sell the same item or category of items?
    If not, is anyone even looking for the item(s) in question? (sometimes there's a REASON nobody's promoting Product Xs!)
    Is the merchant in question charging a reasonable price?
    How many merchant sources of the item are there?
    (And other questions of this nature)

Will the merchant pay?
    If all those types of questions add up, then it's on to "Will the merchant pay?"
    Checking ABW for complaints is a good start. Also what network they're on--and whether they've been on several in a row--can be an indicator. And, there's a "gut reaction" that comes with experience. I can generally "smell" a deadbeat coming (although some deadbeats will "play nice" for a while before imploding).

If I can't find a good merchant for a particular item, I'll promote something else regardless of whether I think the item would sell (after all, if the merchant sucks, there won't be any real money for the aff in promoting their stuff regardless of consumer interest). There's a bajillion products out there for sale, and it's a mistake to "marry" any particular item or product line.

As for site relevance: My aff sites are malls, so if the item's for sale, it's relevant!
    Last edited by Leader; August 25th, 2006 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the COMMISSION!

Thank you very much for the replies
    hi all,

thank you very much to all who have taken time to answer my query.

aravind

Hi Aravind,

For what its worth, here is my 2c worth.

Find a market niche that is not overly competitive, and develop a site to promote and presell one, or a small slection of products into this market. A few content pages with relevant information together with an affiliate link will go a long way to getting relevant visitors and therfore conversions. You site only has to presell the chosen product. Once your visitors gets to the merchant's site, its there job to sell their product.

Finding the niche is the hard part. Short list a few potential merchants and then research, research and research. Out of this research you should get a fairly good idea of how many competitors you have, how many searches people do in this market and what they search for. Bottom line is that however much reseach you do, you will probably never "really" know how successful a niche can be until you try it.

Affiliate marketing requires perseverence. It will take time for a site to get any sort of SE ranking so you may want to invest in PPC to get some traffic in the first 6 months.

Once you have finished one site, repeat the above until you have a number of sites in different niche markets. With a bit of luck, one or more of these site will be successful in generating income for you.

There is lots more to it than this, and probably many other approaches, but this is one that seems to work well.

Good Luck.
    Colin
    [URL=http://www.jigsaw2order.com]www.jigsaw2order.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10436][COLOR=Blue]Join our Affiliate Program[/COLOR][/URL]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread