In the light of Tom's experience with Gaye Vaska I thought I'd post this story.. it's not as interesting, and nowhere near as long and for once the ABW member is probably not completely innocent [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

First of all, I have to make a confession. I'm a politician. Well.. someone has to be, and frankly I'm not as stupid or as loopy as a lot of other politicians so it seemed like a good idea at the time. For five years I held public office as a councillor/councilman, but eventually gave it up for various reasons, some of which include the Vaska-esque stalking from my more mentally unstable constituents plus my disgust at some of the political aspects of the administration I was in opposition to..

Now, in the UK there are a number of political parties, and I'm a member of one that anyone from the other side of the pond will probably not have heard of, but we're the third largest in the country. Now, we campaign hard locally, but we always try to fight fair - in other words, "do as you would be done to."

So, I got quite disgusted at the antic of our local Conservatives - these are the people from Margaret Thatcher's party. Now... not all Conservatives are unscrupulous, but ours like to use various barely legal methods of campaigning, and there are persistent rumours that they try to use Vaska-esque slurs against rivals to gain political advantage. Oh yes, and they tried to close down our local school too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Now, some of these techniques involve creating publicity material that looks almost exactly like ours, but just different enough to be legal, plus a number of other things that while legal certainly cross the line of what is commonly viewed acceptable.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I decided to do a bit of cybersquatting and register the name www.bedfordconservatives.co.uk along with some derivatives. About 8 months later, I come across the "official" site, except they now have to put a hyphen in, i.e. "bedford-conservatives". Well, they're using a professional design and hosting company so I guess they know their way around WHOIS, but I don't hear anything.

So, I'm sitting on the "better" version of the domain, and I don't hear anything. Now, they're using publically-accessible web stats (until today) so I simply redirect "my" version of the domain name to "their" version.. and then it get's interesting.

Essentially, their people contact their web people, who contact *our* web people who contact me and pass the message on that they are very anxious to get the domains, but with the threat they may do to the press. Well.. I've been in the local paper before and frankly it's no big deal, but they seem concerned that it might be possible for "someone else" to do something wicked with the site, such as redirect it to umm something unsavory. Now, all I'm doing is forwarding the typoed traffic.. I'm not even passing myself off as them.

Here's where it gets more complex.. there are TWO Conservative groups locally, one of which split off from the "official" one.. so the domain could actually be useful to either group. Now, the law states that I can't pass myself off as a registered political party, but I'm just forwarding the typoed traffic elsewhere.

So, do I:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Roll over and transfer the domains.
    <LI>Put the domains up for sale via escrow such as GreatDomains. $3000 sounds fair.
    <LI>Suggest to them that I won't send the traffic anywhere unsavory if they refrain from questionable election practices (fat chance!)
    <LI>Tell them to sod off.
    <LI>Redirect the traffic to some pages about interesting local political scandals or..
    <LI>Redirect to something involving goats and possibly nuns.
    <LI>Crawl back to under the rock I crawled out of [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img][/list]

Oh yeah, and any clicks onto the
    www.bedfordconservatives.co.uk site would really freak 'em out!

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    lol @ nuns and goats....I was laughing and thing about it and suddenly it dawned on me, send it to Pranav

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>First of all, I have to make a confession. I'm a politician<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    OK, So your saying this story may or may not be true then. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've been in the local paper before ..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I thought I recognised your pic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm only a bit of a way down the road from you.

Put the domains up for sale via escrow and donate the profits to your party. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo....wahoo...we are all floating up the same creek [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'd say sell it if you don't think you personally would do anything with it...you could always aim for the highest bidder. You could hang on to it and see if you can make any revenue for it. For example...the town I live in is Vienna, Virginia...the 'official name' of the the town is 'Town Of Vienna'...I own townofvienna.com People often ask me if it's the offical vienna site (which I'm not). I've mentioned in these forums about a local business directory. I'm taking townofvienna.com and turning it into a revenue site about (duh)The Town Of Vienna. Should be launching here soon. I could always try and sell it to the Town Of Vienna, but I think I stand a better chance at turning it into something. Your case is a little different, but you probably get my drift. Another suggestion is to 'lease' it to them...you retain ownership, but with a lease agreement, it keeps you from doing something unsavory with it...and it points to their site while you make a little revenue...be reasonable in price and it could become a small but steady monthly income with no arguments from them...I know I probably raised more questions than I answered, but a few ideas...

Tom Pyles

Update on this one:

Someone (i.e. the opposition) is now trying to register *my* version of the domain name with a fake email address in order to create trouble.

The thing is they're sufficiently stupid not to realise that some of these submission engines record and report back the IP address of the submitter.. doh! So someone is looking at getting their ISP account and web hosting cancelled pretty soon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All political parties have arch enemies ..direct the domain to the one most likey to raise the price. Get 2 political parties fueding and the price of everything goes up!!

Someone badly wants that domain.

Anyway it seems to be going to some kind of abuse education page at the host. I wonder how that happened..

>Suggest to them that I won't send the traffic anywhere unsavory if they refrain from questionable election practices (fat chance!)

I like that one. It has potential.

I

Ah well now they're trying to fake postcards from me.. but of course it records their IP address for that too!

So I reported them to their ISP's abuse team.. hence the page I put up. This is fun [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Heh. Is this the funny handshake brigade?

I

They're too thick to be in the funny handshake brigade.

Trouble is, they think this is going to be an interesting story for the press.. I don't think so! Fools should have got their name reserved earlier!

So.. the saga drags on!

For reasons I've never understood, every time the Tories take THEIR site down for maintenance, they point it to OUR site. I guess they like to make out that they've been hacked.

Well, it was like this for 3 days until I FINALLY got fed up and with a neat bit of Javascript I redirected everything coming from THEIR site to one with.. umm, let's say it involved horses.

Within an hour, their site was down. So, being a nice sort of bloke, realising that their URL was basically just cloaking I redirected MY URL to their page.

Then I made a mistake.. I tested it, while at work. So the evil b*stards phoned my BOSS to complain that I'd visited their site and they'd traced the IP! Well, nothing happened except the Tories are looking pretty stupid.

This comes at the end of a long line of bullying tactics - if they'd asked me NICELY I would have given up the domain for a few hundred pounds. Now it's listed at $2000 and I add $500 every time they do something stupid. They've tried slanderous sites, emailing associates, threatened to go to the press and now tried getting me into trouble at work...

..is it any wonder I don't like them?

The full story is right here - if you click on the links down at the bottom you'd be doing me a great favour as EVERY hit winds them up a treat!

Incidentally the neat Javascript looks something like this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    **START-SCRIPT-TAG** language="JavaScript">< !--
    if (document.referrer.indexOf('theirdomain1.co.uk') > -1)
    location.href = 'http://www.alternatedomain.com/';
    else if (document.referrer.indexOf('theirdomain2.com/subdir/') > -1)
    location.href = 'http://www.alternatedomain.com/';
    else
    location.href = 'http://www.myrealdomain.org/';
    //-->
    ** END-SCRIPT-TAG **
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm you'll have to assemble it yourself as ABW doesn't like the script code [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Dynamoo ]

ABW Ambassador
    lol, I live 'just down the road'.

If I joined the Tories and ask nicely, would you sell the domain to me on the cheap?

If I joined another party and asked nicely could I buy it cheaper?

I could run for office fighting against scumware and intimidation of URL owners.

"Nicely" before would have got it at about £300-£500/$400-$700. But now nicely gets it for £1400/$2000.

I must say, their idea of negotiating is a classic example of how NOT to try to get a domain name.

LOL.. I must be costing them an absolute fortune. Is it any wonder they keep losing elections? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now it's listed at $2000 and I add $500 every time they do something stupid.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it!........ I like it a LOT! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi
    Well I would suggest that you forward all traffic onto the following link:
    http://www.omrlp.com/

Its the Monster Raving Looney Party.

I am sure that any diehard conservative supporter would enjoy a good laugh, oh sorry if that was the case then it would be www.labour.org.uk

Must get these url things sorted out.

regards John

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread