Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Question Point main domain to subdomain with .htaccess
    Using GoDaddy's hosting.

Helping someone with a site that they started on their own and have no idea what they are doing. They purchased a quick shopping cart account from GoDaddy as well as a domain name & hosting.

When they set up their shopping cart store account, they set it up on a subdomain, specifically

They want to be able to go to and actually be at the shop, so I need point the main domain to the subdomain.

I called GoDaddy and they said I could use .htaccess to do this, but they can't tell you specifically how, or which method to use.

My question is, would this work to point the main domain to the subdomain?

RewriteEngine on
     RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^shop.domainname\.com
     RewriteRule ^(.*)$$1 [R=permanent,L]
    Or how would you go about this?
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Bayou Country, LA
    I called GoDaddy and they said I could use .htaccess to do this, but they can't tell you specifically how, or which method to use.
    This dosen't look good for the future. If they can't handle this simple request I would hate to have a big one. It would be nice if you could get your friend moved to better support before getting too deeply involved. Sorry I can't help as my notes are 200 miles away.

GoDaddy also allows your to make changes to the DNS settings for each of your purchased domains, to permanently change what they're pointing to. I'm not sure whether this method, or .htaccess is better for the search the following is just some additional options for you.

It can be done in their tool called "Total DNS Control". But! It can sometimes be annoying, and you may want to also consider calling them for assistance in doing so, if you're not familiar with it. That's something they WILL help you with.

For instance, all of my Typepad sites, and related domain names, are registered through GoDaddy. Unfortunately, the only way Typepad will allow domain mapping is through this exact method. In a nutshell, I had to change the C-Records for each domain, to point from: =>

Quick fix, and only had to do it once (even though you have to wait a few hours to a day to have the changes propogate).

Remember, just some ideas to dwell on, if you can't get the .htaccess to work.

Edit: It seems that GoDaddy doesn't allow ModRewrite on their servers - for the .htaccess rules: (last post - if it's reliable)

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread