Zappos leak
    Today I opened the brand list page of zappos at http://www.zappos.com/n/bl , and what i found is that all the couture brands are included in the regular brands list. Previously they were seperate. Now They are included within the regular brand list and also listed seperately at the end of the page.
    You may or may not know, but its written in Zappos Agreement that we will not be paid of sales resulting on couture brands/products.

I wonder how many of my referred customers buys those expensive products and I don't get paid a single penny. I think its unfair. They should make a seperate website for couture products instead. Not to throw couture brands everywhere on zappos.com

Couture products are also included in regular shoe search results on zappos.com

Can you imagine how many of your referred visitors purchased a couture product?

ABW Ambassador
    "but its written in Zappos Agreement that we will not be paid of sales resulting on couture brands/products."

I didn't know that. Where is it located at? I just read the Advertiser Detail and Special Terms and don't see it.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Go to Zappos, find associates page, choose language and regional stuff, on step 2 it shows you zappos terms and conditions.

From "4. Referral Fees":
    "Referral fees are subject to the “Charge-backs” provisions in the CJ Publisher Services Agreement. We have no obligation to pay or authorize referral fees for orders placed after the termination of this Agreement. You are not entitled to a referral fee for sales occurring on certain subdomains of our Site that we designate on the Associate Portal or in another writing or email, including but not limited to couture.zappos.com."

ABW Ambassador
    Ok I see it now.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Probably been that way for years...

Never seemed to be an issue, unless people by 20 pairs of $100.00 shoes at a time on occasion. If you send the traffic to Zappos.com, there doesn't seem to be an issue.

ABW Ambassador
    Superstar, first of all, couture shoes are a whole lot more than $100. Try $300, $400 or $500 or $1,143.95!! It certainly is a major issue.

http://couture.zappos.com/n/p/dp/17333947/c/621.html
    Last edited by Snowman; August 25th, 2006 at 03:58 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    From "4. Referral Fees":
    "Referral fees are subject to the “Charge-backs” provisions in the CJ Publisher Services Agreement. We have no obligation to pay or authorize referral fees for orders placed after the termination of this Agreement. You are not entitled to a referral fee for sales occurring on certain subdomains of our Site that we designate on the Associate Portal or in another writing or email, including but not limited to couture.zappos.com."
    That might explained why I've made 0 commission from them so far while the other shoe sites bring me pretty good sales. Never noticed that part. I guess from now on, I need to read the merchant agreement more carefully...

Here comes the Contradictory statement.

Yesterday I contacted Zappos.

My Message to Zappos:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Hi,
    I understand that I can not promote products from Zappos Couture. But do we affiliates get paid if our referred visitor purchases a couture product. I mean if I refer a visitor to your main page, he then buys couture product using the couture link on your website, then do I get the credit of that sale?
    Here is the reply from Zappos

Quote Originally Posted by zappos

Thanks for your message. Yes, we do pay commissions if a customer ends up buying a couture brand.

Please let me know if you need any other info.

Regards,
    Zappos.com Associate Management Team
    Affiliate Manager say, we get paid. Terms says we don't get paid. Now who to believe ?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by nabeelk
    Affiliate Manager say, we get paid. Terms says we don't get paid. Now who to believe ?
    Either the terms are outdated and needs to be revised, or the affiliate manager (especially if new) is not aware himself of that clause

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Most likely the AM is poisoned by rational fair minded thought patterns. You'd think they'd understand the product lines with 300% markup and average sales amounts over 500.00 would know these are exempt from affiliate pion commissions.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

What Zappos says, and what Zappos does are two different things. Technically, Zappos does pay commissions on couture brands... they exit through the same shopping cart. I know affiliates who have made a killing on couture purchases; this is one of the best kept secrets of the Zappos program.

The reason Zappos says affiliates cannot promote couture brands is because they don't want the competition in paid or natural search for these brands. That's why couture shoes are not listed in the datafeed.

In many cases Zappos may be the only shoe store carrying one of these brands, this gives them a distinct advantage over other stores. This allows Zappos to create their own set of rules.

So while you may get paid for couture purchase, Zappos may give you the ax if they see you popping up in paid and natural search for couture brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Superstar, first of all, couture shoes are a whole lot more than $100. Try $300, $400 or $500 or $1,143.95!! It certainly is a major issue.

http://couture.zappos.com/n/p/dp/17333947/c/621.html
    Right, Snowman, that's exactly what I'm saying. Once in a while $1,000+ orders go through for Zappos so if they were not paying out on expensive shoes then people are ordering an awful lot of $100 shoes at once. Maybe that is the case but I can't imagine people would order that many pairs of shoes at once.

They have an awesome program, they've always responded quickly to inquiries, the team over there is very friendly and helpful, they always pay, reversals are high (just have to factor that in) but if you have shoe traffic, Zappos is a great place to send it. IMHO they are easily in the top 1% of companies to work with in the affiliate space. Zappos wants to succeed, they want affiliates to succeed. They want to make money, they know when you make money, they make money. They provide the tools to really let your marketing & tech skills be the deciding factor in how well you do with them. The site is built on an awesome platform. It's got more flexibility for promoting it than most any other site out there. Zappos rocks.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    Right, Snowman, that's exactly what I'm saying. Once in a while $1,000+ orders go through for Zappos so if they were not paying out on expensive shoes then people are ordering an awful lot of $100 shoes at once. Maybe that is the case but I can't imagine people would order that many pairs of shoes at once.

They have an awesome program, they've always responded quickly to inquiries, the team over there is very friendly and helpful, they always pay, reversals are high (just have to factor that in) but if you have shoe traffic, Zappos is a great place to send it. IMHO they are easily in the top 1% of companies to work with in the affiliate space. Zappos wants to succeed, they want affiliates to succeed. They want to make money, they know when you make money, they make money. They provide the tools to really let your marketing & tech skills be the deciding factor in how well you do with them. The site is built on an awesome platform. It's got more flexibility for promoting it than most any other site out there. Zappos rocks.
    I'm not disagreeing with you here, but what tools do they provide? I've found that they can't even tell me what shoe someone bought. I know that's what an SID is for, but well, my 99,000 shoe links don't all have an SID (got my feed from CJ). I haven't found anything, and I don't mean this response to sound harsh...I really just want to know. Thanks.

The reason Zappos says affiliates cannot promote couture brands is because they don't want the competition in paid or natural search for these brands. That's why couture shoes are not listed in the datafeed.

In many cases Zappos may be the only shoe store carrying one of these brands, this gives them a distinct advantage over other stores. This allows Zappos to create their own set of rules.
    It is quite likely that many of these brands are image conscious and will not allow a distributor to sublet their brand to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

This was an issue and mentioned briefly here two years ago or so:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...hlight=couture

The difference now is that they seem to be integrating both stores more.

And, it is tough to tell from their brand list what is and is not couture and therefore what we are allowed to promote or not. This, along with the reversals, is one more reason why I am not promoting them as much and focusing on other programs.

Are there other tools from zappos besides the stock CJ stuff to help affiliates?

Zappos Couture stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by kea12345678
    This was an issue and mentioned briefly here two years ago or so:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...hlight=couture

The difference now is that they seem to be integrating both stores more.

And, it is tough to tell from their brand list what is and is not couture and therefore what we are allowed to promote or not. This, along with the reversals, is one more reason why I am not promoting them as much and focusing on other programs.
    I emailed and asked about these issues. You can click on some brands and be taken to a page on Zappos website, but that same brand can be found in the Couture as well. I was informed that those brands are hands off. I suggested that they do something to help us differentiate between Couture and non-Couture and made a few suggestions. My advice to Zappos affiliates is to make a list of brands found in the Couture and use that as opposed to having to go and search the Couture every time you want to promote a certain brand. Still, a pain I know. I also asked them if they could notify us of brands added and or removed. I got a big "no can do" on that issue. Zappos sales have been good to me, but there are a few basic things that I wish they would do for us as mentioned above. I am afraid that what is happeneing to some affiliates that are promoting Couture brands via PPC is that these transactions get reversed and that affiliate is none the wiser unless he/she is always checking the reason for ALL reversals. I know that I am lazy in that respect. I just keep an eye on the rate of returns and look for fluctuations. I suppose if you are using the product feeds and updating weekly or so, you would be fine. Zappos could make things easier for us by just updating us on brand changes. Even if it was just once a month.

Ok... I am done whining..
    The best things in life are not things at all...

>> those brands are hands off

what does it means ?
    non-commissionable ?

http://couture.zappos.com/

cannot find the brands list

Couture brands
    Try this:

Designers

Hands off means......
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan
    >> those brands are hands off

what does it means ?
    non-commissionable ?
    If you promote these brands on your site or via PPC ads and drive customers to the Couture, and they make a purchase, you are in violation of Zappos terms. However, if a customer finds the Couture on their own after driving them to Zappos site and they make a purchase from the Couture, you will get a commission.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what Zappos explained to me when I asked them.
    Last edited by Airstrip; September 20th, 2006 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread