More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Adding an Affiliate Section To My Content Site
    I am considering adding a fairly large block of affiliate pages to a content site I have. Will this affect my rankings for my content pages with Google and other search engines? I finally got good rankings on Google with this site and don't wish to lose them. On the other hand, the new affilaite pages, when optimized, may bring more traffic to the site although I won't hold my breath for Google to index them.

The affiliate pages are somewhat related although not an exact match. The affiliate ads I want to match do match many of the adsense ads delivered.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

If you've been doing websites for a while, you know that Any change at all can affect rankings, also, no change at all can affect rankings..
    But you can try to be somewhat safe and stick the affiliate links inside a script, or iframe, or use rel=nofollow(which I heard doesn't really do much), or something along those lines, to try to help.
    Or maybe try adding a single new page to start with the affiliate links and see if it gets picked up.
    There's really no sure-fire way to keep rankings, everything is a risk.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I do believe I will keep this addition fairly small to start with just to see how it pans out. Good suggestion.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

i think you can mask aff link with redirect page or etc ... its because google allergy from aff link

I did this a couple years ago. My content site has had solid rankings for a particular niche for years and adding a shop to the domain didn't affect these rankings at all. The shop rankings have fluctuated quite a bit and are much more difficult to maintain due to the competition. I think it really comes down to the phrases you're trying to earn and the number of sites competing for them. Generally it seems adding more competitive phrases to a site won't affect the less competitive phrases that you've already earned. Google in particular is very page specific and doesn't concern itself so much with the entire domain. As long as you aren't doing anything underhanded you should be fine.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    IMO it's fine unless you overdo it.

I've found that adding a huge pile of pages (over 200 or so) of any type can mean rank death. I've got a couple of *gasp* c*ntent sites, and G attacked me for adding about 300 pages of (shudder) c*ntent to it all at once!

The only reason I can think of is that the King of Automated Sites, Google, very hypocritically penalized the obvious automation. If I'd wasted my life typing them in one-by-one like some kind of idiot, I think it would have been fine with that Luddite-infiltrated engine.

The new additions would yet be undone if I'd tried to do it manually, though.

I've added automated pages to my content sites, and some of them get indexed and found by searchers. I don't think it has really hurt.

One thing I am concernaed about, though, is use of datafeeds. Two issues come up - duplicate content with other sites, and constantly changing pages. The first can be dealt with by adding content to your datafeed generated pages through templates or some datafeed prep.

The second is more of a question to me. If a product is no longer available, then that page loses its relevence. If I leave it, someone may click through to find it's no longer available, which isn't good from a customer standpoint. If I delete it, it makes the site seem a bit unstable, with pages coming and going.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The second is more of a question to me. If a product is no longer available, then that page loses its relevence. If I leave it, someone may click through to find it's no longer available, which isn't good from a customer standpoint. If I delete it, it makes the site seem a bit unstable, with pages coming and going.
    Normal updating doesn't seem to affect overall ranks (of course, the actual deleted pages should be deindexed.). I think many, if not most, sites have some pages which lose their relevance and get deleted, whether they're datafeed sites or not. For instance, a tech site might not want to keep reviews of the first-generation x86 chip hanging around. And news sites regularly delete their old stuff.

The only time I've had G's rankings squawk from page removals is when I dump an entire datafed section (ie, thousands of pages) at once, which happens if a merchant dies or turns their program into junk. There's no good to leaving them up, though (it'd just irritate viewers who try to use them) so I whack 'em anyway and hope Y and MSN like the fact that there's not 1000s of dead pages left on the site.

The only time I've had G's rankings squawk from page removals is when I dump an entire datafed section (ie, thousands of pages) at once, which happens if a merchant dies or turns their program into junk. There's no good to leaving them up, though (it'd just irritate viewers who try to use them) so I whack 'em anyway and hope Y and MSN like the fact that there's not 1000s of dead pages left on the site.
    I have done that a few times before, but I hate when I still get SE's looking for pages that were deleted two or three and even four years ago.

I'm experimenting with something different now.

If I have to delete a big directory made with PHP, I will use the steamroller, but if those pages were made with WebMerge, I will use a scissor and remove the links from the main page and the sitemap, that way I will not get 404's and anyone landing on any of those old orphan static pages, would still be able to go to the main site, sitemap or search the main site from there.

I don't know yet if that is a good idea or not, but I think that by doing it that way, I might not lose some visitors, and at the same time don't get 404's from the SE's.

Only time will tell.

for datafeed i'am still looking for bulletproof method so SE love it

Quote Originally Posted by Affnice
    for datafeed i'am still looking for bulletproof method so SE love it
    Everything you need to start is here: Building UNIQUE autoupdating bulletproof datafeed sites that sell but, you have to digger out.

I think a good solution for out of stock products is to keep the data in your database, but to do a 304 redirect to a product search of similar products. In addition add a little blurb at the top telling the customer that the product they're seeking is out of stock, but here are some similar alternatives. This way you keep the customer informed and hopefully salvage a sale while also telling the spiders that the page is no longer available.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread