Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fast way to get 1000+ affiliates?
    Hi, we're new to SAS, we want to get 1000+ affiliate as fast as possible. Does anyone have hints to get this many fast? We're MetroUniforms.com - selling Medical Uniforms. Industry high 12% payout and ~6% site conversion.

May I ask why 1000+?

Geno

PS: BTW, welcome to the forum!

I was told that's the # we can really benchmark the effectiveness of the affiliate program..

Quote Originally Posted by majestique
    I was told that's the # we can really benchmark the effectiveness of the affiliate program..
    I wonder who told you that...

In this business it is never about the quantity, but always about the quality, majestique.

Geno

True Geno, I am looking for super affiliates... where to find them

I agree with Geno. 1,000 poor quality affiliates is worth maybe 10 quality affiliates. I'd focus on the latter.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Offer $100 a click.
    Free playboy playmate with affiliate signup.
    Lifetime Mountain Dew Energy drink for every affilate that puts up a banner.

How about .... geez too much/too easy.

1) Call Andy Rodriguez Consulting
    2) Listen to what they say
    3) Do what they say
    4) Pay what they say
    5) Get a forum at ABW

You can switch 3 or 4 around depending on 2 ... not sure how he would prefer that LOL
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Nuts ... you got the quality speech already ... nevermind my first suggestions then
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Just for the record, guys, I was the one who said "1,000." However, in the context of you should grow the base before reading into the data and making snap decisions on fewer than 50 transactions. Think it's safe to say that before any business decisions are made, there should be a solid base of click-generating and sales-generating affiliates first.

It's just assumed when I say you should shoot for 1,000 affiliates, I mean 1,000 quality affiliates...otherwise, what would be the point!!
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Carolyn, I knew exactly what you meant

ABW Ambassador
    Carolyn, I knew exactly what you meant
    Certainly wouldn't have known that from your first post!

It benefits no one to have 990 crappy affiliates.

Thanks for setting him/her straight, Carolyn.

Internet Cowboy
    Majestique,
    I see a promo code by your phone number but it is not my affiliate ID. Is that for another use? I am excited to find you.

That's interesting, do you have a site where I can verify if your affiliate link is working on our site?

Thanks for joining our program! We work very closely w/ our affiliates to make sure this program is mutually successful.

Internet Cowboy
    I clicked through again and see the ID now. We are good to go. I am glad to have found your program. I sent you an email reply to your acceptance email.

BTW, affiliates don't post our sites here or use our real identity (for the most part). It is safer for everyone that way.

ABW Ambassador
    mastestique do you plan to offer international shipping? if yes do you have a timeframe?

Just putting in my two bits, the folks at MetroUniforms are highly motivated in working with their affiliates. I've been in conversation with them by email for a few weeks, so I know. Although they are new to affiliate marketing, they really are trying to find the correct path and work with their affiliates. Let's help guide them with that in mind.

I welcome them to SAS and to ABW. Hope you have much success.....heck, you already did the right thing by joining SAS.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I agree with Geno. 1,000 poor quality affiliates is worth maybe 10 quality affiliates. I'd focus on the latter.
    I have to disagree: 1,000 poor quality affiliates are NOT worth the same as 10 quality affiliates. Indeed, ONE quality affiliate is worth more than 1,000 poor quality affiliates.

I'm sure we all have the same "80/20 rule" experience, but online it's usually more like 95/5 or 98/2 -- 2% of your affiliates generate 98% of affiliate sales. For affiliates, 2% of your merchants generate 98% of your revenue.

A typical scenario for a new merchant program is that the top affiliate earns more than all the other affiliates combined, and the #2 affiliate earns more than everyone combined except #1. Often, the #1 affiliate one month becomes #2 the next month, as some new affiliate generates much higher sales levels.

Of course, mature programs often have multiple super-affiliates performing well, but even then, the #1 affiliate still earns twice what the #2 affiliate earns. Maybe 5% of the affiliates continue to generate 95% of sales, and they often demand only 1% of the affiliate manager's time (while a few dozen of the 60% of affiliates who never activate a link probably occupy 80% of the affiliate manager's time each week). For affiliates, 98% of your affiliate-related email comes from managers of programs you've never activated (never posted an active link).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'd say a 25.00+ sustainable average EPC would guarantee 1000 quality affiliates. The reasoning is obvious, and is even more attainable if the SAS merchant doesn't accept every tom- dick & harriet who apply.

Carolyn of SAS might clairify for me how a merchant, who averages 50 sales for every 1000 clicks (regardless of traffic source), would be able to sustain their high conversion ratio and EPC by tapping into the pool of SAS affiliates. Can a viable affililiate network like SAS generate new targeted physical click traffic without sniping traffic and sales already flowing to the established ecommerce enabled merchant? Can a Super affiliate generate a high EPC, bettering the merchant's natural conversion ratio without eating the merchant's natural SERP traffic, or using Trademark PPCSE bidding, and not hawking fellow affiliates cookies at the point of sale?

The experimental cost is substancial when factoring in a 10% commish + network fees considering the experiment's results are hard to reverse once put into action. Basically the question is can the network generate new customer business or just recycle existing business through a pool of cookied interlopers? If any network can achieve this for a product merchant... I'd bet on SAS.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Affiliate quality
    I appreciate both Mike and Marks comments here. I know in our case, quality is certainly more important that quantity of affiliates.

Due to the nature of our business, we cannot do direct ppc on the big three, so our focus has become locating and recruiting knowledgeable SEO affiliates as they can get through on organic search results. To that extent we are putting together a specialized incentive package for quality SEO types.

From what I am learning from this forum and other advisors, the strongest long term answer regardless of the type business is SEO - so that is where the long term plan is headed.

I also appreciate Marks comments about 2% creating the bulk of business. The old 80 / 20 adage may apply to some offline businesses, but not to online marketing. If you go for quantity, surely you can get tons of affiliates. Quality on the other hand should not be measured by sheer numbers.

Best Of Luck With Your Program
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Turn on AutoDeposit at SAS.

Get certified as an SAS Exclusive Merchant.

Here at ABW, read up on LiveHelp service you use and why it may hinder your recruiting.

"Process Time: - 2-3 Business Days"
    Honesty and straightforwardness is stating this in your terms is admirable, but work hard on shortening it. Address looks like a warehouse, why so long to process an order?

The terms you've entered into SAS's ppc policies show me you're interested in value add affiliates, and want to avoid trademark poaching valueless affiliates. Good news. Bad news, I quickly surveyed the ppc landscape for your products (based on your site map) and your ppc ain't good, yet your terms appear to state ("You are not to use our domain name on PPC search engines") that you disallow direct-to-merchant ppc affiliates... you're missing out on having value add affiliates who are ppc experts and who will risk their own capital towards selling your own products... why?

Upper left hand corner of every page... 100% satisfaction guarantee... hover over it and see... http://www.metrouniforms.com/pages.php?pageid=4 Click there and you get "Page not found! The requested page does not exist or you are not allowed to access it!" Not good. Have a professional review your site for errors - they hamper conversions and pro affiliates will look for them and leave and never bother contacting you.

Ditch the Domains By Proxy hidden registration... if you're a legit business, why hide who you are? This scares off pro affiliates. Your parent company's domain (han ventures) isn't hidden, but is a residential address in Los Angeles. Your site says you ship out of Texas. Somewhere, to recruit large affiliates, this needs to be explained or many will assume it's too small to handle volume, is a drop shipper deal or similarly too risky for the time and capital required. Likely dropping the Domains By Proxy on the metro uniform site will remove all these questions.

Lunarpages as a hosting company. Review that as your traffic grows (which I can see it is). I think you'll need to upgrade this area - not today, but sometime in the next 6 months.

You've got the comodo cert on your classicleaf tea site, do the same for the scrubs. And while you're improving trust factors, get the verisign ssl cert (and post that logo) and apply to the bbb (and post that logo).

PS - if that taniam deadaim stuff on your dedicated server is yours...
    Last edited by Donuts; August 29th, 2006 at 12:17 PM.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    This has many signs of really good things to come. I took the time to provide feedback because this looks like yet another high quality merchant coming to SAS. What an exciting time for ethical merchants and affiliates!

Hi, we're new to SAS, we want to get 1000+ affiliate as fast as possible. Does anyone have hints to get this many fast? We're MetroUniforms.com - selling Medical Uniforms. Industry high 12% payout and ~6% site conversion.
    Coincedence. I was just looking over your program, and I like it. Now I just need to figure out how much compeition there is, and how much I need to get it situated in PPC.

Either way, offer your new affiliates a $500 CAB just for signing up...I'm sure you'll have more than plenty of new sign-ons by the end of the week.. (I kid of course)

I would sign up if you have a datafeed. I checked shareasale and did not see one. If you decide to set up a datafeed I will be happy to be one of your quality affiliates. Not that I am a quality affiiliate on sas, but I have potential.

I work exclusively with datafeeds I am not sure how many non datafeed using affiliates are producing large numbers of sales. I would be interested in finding out if people are producing just using banners or ads on their sites.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Majestique - invest some cash to advertise your program here on ABW, on SAS, and anywhere else where you know the types of affiliates you want to work with might be hanging out. If they don't know about your program, they can't join it, right?

Next, know one important thing. While there are some SUPER SUPER SUPER affiliates in this biz, generally speaking, those in 'the know' all know who the top, most popular ones are. This means, that these "super" affiliates are being targeted with hundreds, even thousands of sign up messages every week... it's tough for them to filter through all the noise. My advice is to work hard at optimizing relationships with ALL your joined affiliates on a 1:1 basis every chance you get. Treat them like people rather than like a number and they'll often work hard for you (and for themselves) to earn the cash they got into this biz for in the first place.

Finally, try offering a recruitment/signup bonus... give them an incentive to join your program beyond the normal "here's our commission rate, here is our product" type shpiel. Be creative, be generous, be forthcoming and honest and the 'super' affiliates are sure to find YOU.

All the best in your program-management travels...

Cheers,

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Liz, that was a great reply

Should be required reading for all AMs and networks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast