CJ vs indie programs
    Hello,

I've been an affiliate marketer for years selling directly through vendors or small independent programs. Lately sales have been slower than usual so I thought I'd give CJ a try. Plus I like the long list of vendors they have.

My question to those who've experienced both indie and CJ programs: how is CJ conversion compared to indie programs?

Thanks for any input.
    Dan

It all depends on the merchant. Also, I have one CJ merchant that converts really well, but pays poorly. I have an indie with the same products who does not convert as well, but I make more because they pay more.

If you are experienced, I would give CJ a try. They've had a bumpy road the last few months but seem to be making some positive changes. As an active affiliate I like to try new things but am smart enough not to change everything all at once.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The problems I've had with indies are mostly in the payment (as in, they quit paying), not the conversions. A dud's a dud no matter what tracking system it uses, and vice-versa.

I'd still take CJ over an indy, and I'm pretty pissed at CJ.

If you're looking for reliability, then look to join Shareasale.com. Nothing but positive things to say about this network for as long as I've been with them.

To add to leaders comments, I've had some great indies, but they don't seem to last. Just be cautious and and the first sign of problems, start communicating with them and be prepared to move your good paying links/pages to another merchant.

I'd take CJ over most indies, but I have one now that I moved because of LMI that is paying more than my top CJ ones.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Here is a real case study of what happened when a CJ merchant went independent (it was a total fiasco -- I know because I was/still am an affiliate):

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ht=Wicked+cool
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for your messages. I've been with several indies for years without any problems. I did lose some 2k once though when a retailer refused to pay me.

The thing I like about CJ is the large number of advertisers. I'm glad the general opinion is that CJ is more reliable and I'm very excited about giving them a try.

Thanks again.
    Dan

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    If you're looking for reliability, then look to join Shareasale.com. Nothing but positive things to say about this network for as long as I've been with them.
    Ditto
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Although CJ has a pretty good track record, do realize that they will extend merchant so called credit, meaning that if the merchant fails to keep the required deposited funds on hand up to date, CJ does not drop them. CJ continues to let sales and commissions continue to accrue, but if CJ is not successful in getting funds from the merchant along the way, both CJ and affiliates do not get paid. I know, as it happened to me and others have reported it also.

Bottom line is, it can happen anywhere.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

What other programs are there?
    I am currently with cj but hate the reporting limitations. Also cj charges for email campaigns and you must pay to recruit for yourself. I was looking into linkshare but what other programs are there? I am really new to all this. I do not have the time to manage this on my own so I need all the accounting information taken care of by my affiliate manager program I go with.

Do Indy programs fail as often as network programs?
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    To add to leaders comments, I've had some great indies, but they don't seem to last.
    My first reaction was agreement, but then when I thought about it, I have to disagree strongly.

Do you really think that merchants with indy programs fail more often than merchants who use one of the networks? Or is it just that configuring your site to use an indy feed is so much extra work that the annoyance is greater if they fail?

Looking at my records, there are four different indy programs that EACH have paid me more money than all the network revenue I've earned, combined, in the past 2-3 years. (Amazon is one of them, but not the biggest.)

I don't keep detailed records about failed programs, but I'm pretty sure that the failure rate of affiliate programs I've joined is much greater for "network" programs than for "indy" programs.

And yet, I have to agree that in 2006, any new affiliate program probably needs to be offered through one or more networks, in part to work efficiently with datafeed-oriented affiliates. As an affiliate, I no longer consider new "indy" programs very seriously, and I don't think I've joined any new indy program (other than a few MyAP programs) in the last 15 months.

I think it all depends on the merchant and their products. Half of all my indies in my market area have dropped their programs since I joined them several years ago. Those that have remained are steady performers, but the merchant has done nothing to create new links or campaigns since I joined.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread