Offering PPC to Merchants without an Affiliate Program
    I've recently been contacted by a merchant without an affiliate program who would like to advertise on a PPC basis on my site. I've pretty much got the system built for tracking clicks, so this won't be too difficult. I'm just curious if anybody else here has taken this route? It's really the way to go in this industry to increase earnings and eliminate the networks. My major concern is click fraud. I do filter out many bots and try to keep up with them, but I think I may want to give my merchants an opportunity to audit clicks. How does this sound - a system that shows the merchant each click/product combo for each day as well as the IP address, client and host of the person who clicked. Then if the merchant finds something that doesn't look right they can propose the click be audited where I can either approve or deny the removal of the click. This sounds like it just may work and I'd love to be able to do this for all those merchants out there without affiliate programs.

Payment is another issue and for that I'd like to do a deposit system. When I receive a payment from the merchant I'll show them their balance and subtract from it over time. When the balance runs dry I can simply disable their products until they refill their balance.

How does this sound?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I've considered almost the exact same thing for merchants without affiliate programs, but I've had two things holding me back:

1) Most who don't have affiliate programs aren't interested in anything like this. It's not difficult or expensive to start an affiliate program (on ShareASale.com for instance).

2) The quality of my traffic is high, so I typically earn more per click than most affiliates (sometimes way more), and merchants are reluctant to pay that much as CPC. They don't have a problem if an affiliate with high quality traffic earns a high effective CPC, but they would never agree to the same CPC rate on a flat CPC basis.

Recommend them to ShareASale.com instead.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    1) Most who don't have affiliate programs aren't interested in anything like this. It's not difficult or expensive to start an affiliate program (on ShareASale.com for instance).
    I don't think this will be a problem in my niche. Most merchants selling this type of product are very used to PPC and run multiple campaigns on engines like Shoping.com, Bizrate, Shopzilla, Pricegrabber, etc. In fact there's an entirely new selection of merchants willing to do PPC over CPA who I'd love to include.

2) The quality of my traffic is high, so I typically earn more per click than most affiliates (sometimes way more), and merchants are reluctant to pay that much as CPC. They don't have a problem if an affiliate with high quality traffic earns a high effective CPC, but they would never agree to the same CPC rate on a flat CPC basis.
    If the ROI is good it doesn't matter what you charge. I'm also considering doing a sliding scale depending on the category and price of the items. For example I can charge quite a bit more per click for very high end products as opposed to less expensive items.

Recommend them to ShareASale.com instead.
    This has crossed my mind, but this particular merchant doesn't seem interested in starting an affiliate program.

I think if I can offer this functionality I'll open up a whole new world of income and merchants. This is what all the successful shopping comparison engines do, so I might as well do the same.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread