View Poll Results: When did you start as an affililiate?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll

1 1.39%

6 8.33%

7 9.72%

6 8.33%

3 4.17%

8 11.11%

10 13.89%

9 12.50%

10 13.89%

5 6.94%
  • 1996 or before

7 9.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    When did you first start doing affliliate sites?
    I thought this would be a fun poll of our current ABW membership to see just when we all started doing affiliate marketing. Please list the year you put up your first affiliate link (not the year you got your first check....some of us took longer than others I know).

I'm not sure if this has been done in the past, but in any case, this new poll would be more up to date than any previous one ever done.

Granted, I have no idea when affiliate marketing started, so if my start year is way off, please excuse. I'll just list 1996 or prior for that one.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador

Me, too. I started in the summer of 2001. Got my first check in September. And it was a CJ merchant I am still with today.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It was sometime in 1999 that the first link went up.

I got serious in 2000, when I knew my tolerance for any further empl*yment had hit 0.

1996. I was looking to monetize a content site. Took forever to earn a check from amazon.com. Had to wait for the weekly email for sales stats, too.

First Affiliate Site? 1996?
    I'm not quite sure which question you're actually asking: when did I first join an affiliate program (post an affiliate link, as you stated in the body of your post), or when did I first create a web site for the primary purpose of earning money (as implied in the topic headline)?

I registered my first domain in late 1995 or early 1996. By mid-1996 I was registered as an "affiliate" or "referrer" for several web-hosting offers, and I actually received affiliate payments in late 1996. (I initially did not want to accept any paid advertising on any of my sites, because I was so focused on providing unbiased editorial content -- but once I realized I was spending 20-40 hours per week maintaining the editorial content of my web sites, I knew I needed money to compensate me for the lost time at my law office.)

By 1999 I was collecting more than $10,000 per month in combined "web advertising revenue" -- including direct ad placements on my site, ad network revenue (CPM and PPC), and affiliate programs.

But I think the first time I ever actually created a web site for the purpose of making money from advertising or affiliate programs was probably some time in 2000, and it was only in mid-2001 that I really created some web sites specifically to exploit specific affiliate programs.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    1997 with Amazon and expanded to push the other Linkshare merchants.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

1998 -- Amazon & I believe CJ was my first network then Linkshare.

My site had been around since 1997 and then when I realized I could sell things, I started to [place affiliate links] but I always valued my site(s) for the unique content.
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 29th, 2006 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Because I feel like it
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Had a forums site about healthcare. 200 Forums using Matt's scripts - LOL
    Sold ads to a healthcare site that was purchased by WebMD
    I lost my only advertiser and went looking for a replacement.

Built my 1st merchant targeted affiliate site in 1999/2000

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I started 4 months ago. I just looked at my CJ Reports and I am getting a check on this next check cycle. I am also on SAS but haven't made enough to get a check there yet. Just joined LS and also have a few indies also no checks there. I got started through fighting with Loxly about Leaks on a CafePress Store I had created. She helped me understand what Affiliates want in a store and I saw the potential of being an Affiliate. (thanx Deb )
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

about 2002 .... first with spedia .net

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I'm not quite sure which question you're actually asking: when did I first join an affiliate program (post an affiliate link, as you stated in the body of your post), or when did I first create a web site for the primary purpose of earning money (as implied in the topic headline)?
    I was aiming towards the date folks put up their first affiliate link. But, regardless, the stories folks are writing are interesting about their starts in the business.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    I was a late-comer to the affiliate arena...2003. Before that I was a lifeguard at a carwash.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I started in 1999

Turned professional in 2003

According to my CJ charts, forgot everything I ever learned in August 2006

May 1999 here, and full time since March 2000.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hey, Michael, love the new avatar. Perfect!!! I'll have to do one like that when my anti-LMI days are over (hopefully soon).

Of course, I won't have that nice (you deserved it) ABW symbol.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Hey, Michael, love the new avatar. Perfect!!! I'll have to do one like that when my anti-LMI days are over (hopefully soon).

Of course, I won't have that nice (you deserved it) ABW symbol.
    I admire Michael's new avatar as well

Btw, how did Michael "earn" the ABW symbol? (I am curious).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I put my first affiliate link up in 1998, my site went up in the summer of 1999.

Interestingly enough, I didn't cough up the money for the domain *name* until late 1999. I called my site the same thing from the summer of 1999 on , and no one actually bought the domain out from under me. hee hee!

How times have changed!

Please list the year you put up your first affiliate link
    Ron,

You made me search my old 5 floppies.

I was thinking of my first affiliate ink on my first domain name web site, but I was forgetting that I had my first affiliate link before 1996 on my AOL web pages, few years before I became an .com owner.

I even found my old avatar that I used on AOL some times (walkingman.gif) on that old 5 floppy disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Ron,

You made me search my old 5 floppies.

I was thinking of my first affiliate ink on my first domain name web site, but I was forgetting that I had my first affiliate link before 1996 on my AOL web pages, few years before I became an .com owner.

I even found my old avatar that used on AOL some times (walkingman.gif) on that old 5 floppy disk.
    Wow, I'm amazed you still have a computer that can read the 5 floppy disks!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

15 years and counting
    First affiliate site 1995, first income 1996 with indies CDNow, Virtual Vineyards, Amazon, Bezos was still working in his garage.
    Best year for Affiliate Marketing, 1999. Biggest lost from one merchant in 2000, $300,000.00. It's also the year I decided to do it full time.
    My first Affiliate Site was still a money maker up to December last year before Google decided it was a "thin site". Overall I sold more than one million items. It was time for Google to understand I'm a lame affiliate.
    The best part, I've still fun interacting with my visitors after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Wow, I'm amazed you still have a computer that can read the 5 floppy disks!
    I can read 5 and 3 on this one, but I sitll have my original Tandy 1000SX in good working condition on a safe place, in case one day I can get a lot of money for it on eBay.

Those Old-Fashioned Floppy Disk Drives
    Rhea wrote (to Mr.Sal): "Wow, I'm amazed you still have a computer that can read the 5 floppy disks!"

I was actually surprised to realize that anyone was still using 5" floppy disks in 1996, so the thought of having a working drive today was a shock. I know I just threw out the last of my 5" floppy disks during spring cleaning this year, but I don't think I've had a drive that could read them for at least 10 years. Keep in mind, I used those 8-inch floppy disks as recently as 1984. (I do still own a working computer that has a 3 1/2 inch floppy disk drive and an Iomega Zip drive, though I don't know if either drive still works, because I also tossed all the 3 1/2 inch disks this spring.)

(Does anyone else remember when Kamerman Labs introduced the first hard disk drive for less than $1,000, in 1983? It held 10 megabytes. Today you can buy a drive that stores the equivalent of 30,000 of those 10-MB drives, for about $100. Wow.)

Time for bed, so I can dream about bits and bytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    The best part, I've still fun interacting with my visitors after all these years.
    Interaction was/is certainly the highlight for me.

I learned the basis of html from a webmaster in Australia (I came in contact with him by e-mailing him compliments about his site --I still correspond with him via e-mail sometimes but our contact is not as frequent as it once was).

I got off to a good start because a friend of his was starting her career as a graphics designer and she was nice enough to create some graphics for me (I still use some of her graphics).

I've enjoyed the e-mail I've received from visitors & I've engaged in chat with some as well.

Enjoy the interaction, but beware of a potential dark side (see especially my post #19, although the entire thread is interesting).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

1998 or 1999. Altavista was paying 3 cents every time someone used their search box on my site. It was then that I realised internet newbies could be a great source of income.

Somehow I managed to rank #1 on Altavista for "alta vista"...

1) People would visit Altavista and search for "alta vista"
    2) They'd see my site in the search results and visit it
    3) They'd use the Altavista search box at my site (earning me 3 cents)
    4) They'd end up back at Altavista

Hot Dang! I realised several years too late that the web could be a prosperous place, and wish I'd spent 1995 doing more than Usenet... , and building a site like Yahoo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast