2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    St Clair Shores MI.

RealNames Corp., one of the firms that pioneered the keyword approach to Internet addressing, will go out of business Monday, and as a result thousands of Internet keywords will go dark before the end of June, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Good to see the networks having to address their reliance upon DuperAffiliates like RealNames for revenue and side deals with merchants. Of course MSN (RealNames took them for 30 Million $$$) and others who thrive on HBO URL redirects and keyword buys might look for the darkside incented traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, we were just taliking about that the other day. You must be psychic huh!?

Can you believe they burned way over 100 Million on that whole thing? It's absurd if you ask me. What made those investors think that everyone was going to type keywords in the address bar anyway? like duhhh

I guess you can almost understand their theory, just check and see how many people type into a regular searh box. lmaorof [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I think this is a key here:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Triggering the shutdown was a decision by Microsoft Corp., which allows keywords to resolve in its popular Internet Explorer (IE) Web browser, not to renew its exclusive contract with RealNames, the source said. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks to me like Misrocoft want to broaden their horizons ehhh? The way things ae going I have a funny feeling that the ms smart-tag technology will return sometime in the near future.

Billy is accumulating cash for some reason.
    Last count they were up to $40 BILLION.

They are not going to be re-newing alot of their deals and more dot bombs are about to explode.

Al things considered, if I had a $100 million, I'd have a real profitable Net company and more than likely never have to spend more than the interest on the money to do it.

And, 'm sure Haiko or any number of others here good do the same thing.

It's not rocket science to make money on the net except for morons from corporate America.

New York

Darn straight skippy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Founded in 1996, RealNames landed venture funding commitments totaling more than $100 million, including a $70 million round closed in August 1999 and an additional $46.5 million round closed in December 2000. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy Fudge!

It is like monopoly money :eek:

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Amazing how the Internet gold rush of lame IPO's with quick exit strategies and Eyeball batheringg schemes still have their victims.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    One less single-pixel-sized blip on the radar...

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread