Disney Making Me Angry!!!
    I have promoted the heck out of Disney. When they did the big bonus thing a couple of months ago, I hit the highest target. When they were running the tiered commission early in the summer, I hit the targets.

So the next month they jack up the tiers almost double. Okay. I figure that I will try to make it up just a couple of tiers. I end up hitting the highest in August after a lot of promotion.

Today I get the tiers for September. The lowest tier was the highest last month! The kicker is that I have two Linkshare accounts. One is for a completely different website that I own with a friend. For that account, the tiers are about a quarter of the tiers are for my site where I send them a lot of traffic. So the more traffic that I am sending them, the more that I have to send to get the same percentage.

I'm done promoting them. They want more and more from us to get the same thing from them. I was sending almost 10K a month to them, which is the total of all of my other merchants put together. I'll be looking for Disney items anywhere besides Disney Shopping now!!
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Oh great..and I just got applied and got approved for them.

Joey

Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    I have promoted the heck out of Disney. When they did the big bonus thing a couple of months ago, I hit the highest target.
    If so, an e-mail from you would hold weight.

Did you write an e-mail to Disney or attempt to contact the AM office in any way?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I did. And I tried to be very nice compared to how I feel right now. LOL! I hope that they will at least explain it to me if they will not change it.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Wow, it sounds like they are picking on you directly. Sounds like they see you earning more and want to hinder that as much as possible. What kind of underhanded move is that? I'm curious to see where this goes.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I'm wondering if they figure that because I keep hitting the targets every time that they raise the bar, I will keep selling more and more for them? That doesn't seem very affiliate friendly, but I guess it would be one tactic to push for more sales.

The only other thing that I can think of is that they really do not want to pay the higher commissions to anyone at all and raise them only for the people who can hit them.

If it were something that they didn't like that I was doing, I would think they would just tell me that rather than hiking up my chances to make money. I would rather stop whatever it is that they do not like than just keep pushing harder and harder to sell more.

ABW Ambassador
    I've never seen a merchant raise performance targets that aggressively, but if you look at it from their perspective, it's a smart move. They want maximum exposure from their affiliates. I doubt they are picking on you. There are likely other affiliates experiencing the same thing and most likely with an even higher target.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Not to take away from my disgust for Disney - they invented the "We're famous/we can do whatever we want to affiliates" attitude,

but most merchants give out tiers that are made for each individual affiliate

rather then giving everyone a bonus for reaching $100 in sales, they tier it so that the little converters have to reach $100, the normal affs have to reach $200, and better affiliates need to reach $300, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Not to take away from my disgust for Disney - they invented the "We're famous/we can do whatever we want to affiliates" attitude,

rather then giving everyone a bonus for reaching $100 in sales, they tier it so that the little converters have to reach $100, the normal affs have to reach $200, and better affiliates need to reach $300, etc.
    I had no idea! I guess I've never been a "better affiliate" before. Is that the same for the percentages? It seems really unfair because you could actually sell less but earn more in commissions than someone else.

ABW Ambassador
    I had no idea! I guess I've never been a "better affiliate" before. Is that the same for the percentages? It seems really unfair because you could actually sell less but earn more in commissions than someone else.
    Could you clarify what you mean by "Is that the same for the percentages?"

Yes, other affiliates could sell less but earn more. There is a merchant I'm aware of whose standard commission is 2% yet they sent out offers to prospective new affiliates offering them 6% for a limited time. That's just how this business is.

You might want to approach the AM and ask for a higher standard commission in exchange for forgoing a bonus.

You might want to approach the AM and ask for a higher standard commission in exchange for forgoing a bonus.
    That works! I have several merchs I have private offers with - who 5 seconds before sending out the mass bonus email offer - send me an email saying "Of course you know the bonus doesn't apply to you"

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Could you clarify what you mean by "Is that the same for the percentages?"

Yes, other affiliates could sell less but earn more. There is a merchant I'm aware of whose standard commission is 2% yet they sent out offers to prospective new affiliates offering them 6% for a limited time. That's just how this business is.

That's exactly what I was wondering about the percentages...if they offer a lower standard rate sometimes to affiliates that sell more. As far as I know, Disney doesn't actually do any bonuses anymore. It is only tiers based on what percentage of total sales you will get back.

I always assumed that the more traffic you drove to a merchant, the better incentives you would get from them and the better "private offers" through Linkshare. It never even occurred to me that you might get a lower commission if you drove more traffic. I would be better off not selling a thing for them in the next two months to go back to a lower tier and then being in the lower tier for the holidays. I know I am not supposed to say what the "private offer" they gave me was, but suffice to say that to get anything above the standard commission, I would have to have more sales in a month than I have ever had even in my best month.

and on the other side of the coin...

i just got an email from walmart (which unfortunately i deleted as soon as it came in)

which said

"based on your sales record (i send them squat) we've calculated a september bonus: send us $100 in sales in september, you get a $10 bonus"

Welcome to the world of sales. That's how many companies work. They keep moving that carrot further and further out. I know quite a few people who are in offline sales, and this type of stuff is very common there. Their commission structures get "restructured" (never to their advantage) very regularly, benefits are taken away, they're expected to do more to get the same pay, etc.

At least we don't have to go to sales meetings, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This is the first I've heard of such a blight in an affiliate program. I'd NEVER accept such a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay

I heartily disagree. You must have lousy merchants! NONE of mine have tried the outrage that HelpingMoms described. When I hit the top tier, it stays the top tier, I never get a special Exclusive Lousier Deal for doing well!

The very idea of such a thing is appalling.

offline sales, and this type of stuff is very common there.
    If anyone doesn't exercise the sense to say LUMP IT to these types of things, they deserve what they get.

Refusing to accept it in online business is the first step to stopping the spread of the poison.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader

Refusing to accept it in online business is the first step to stopping the spread of the poison.
    I dropped Disney years ago - after sending them thousands of visitors without a sale, I finally realized it was futile and was just making me angry to keep sending them traffic without compensation. The scenario Helpingmoms describes here is absolutely sickening. It's a slap in the face after a job well done. WTF????

It's not easy to give up a merchant who is actually converting, however. Tough call.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

LOL. 8am every Monday for 6 years of my life... What drivel...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    ouch.

helping, if you have great Disney traffic, there are quite a few Disney products and promos that you can run with other merchants. Scholastic has a Disney book club that does very well with mom sites.

I can't imagine moving around our numbers that way. The point is to reward affiliates who do a lot of volume to keep up the volume and grow it, not make it impossible for them to hit certain tiers. It's in the best interest of the merchant for you to hit those tiers.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

I got an email back from the AM. Apparently because I might hit the 11% tier this month, they are setting my 7% tier at me having to hit 10% more sales than I did this month. That's right. To make 4% less than I did last month, I have to sell 10% more next month.

I can raising the target so that to get the 11% next month, I have to generate 10% more in sales. But to make the same percentage next month, I have to raise my sales by 66%??

I'm beyond angry about this. I won't be featuring the on my site ever again. I pulled them from my front page and will find other merchants with Disney merchandise. In fact, I am thinking about even using the feeds to put up some pages of all Disney merchandise to encourage people to shop in other places.

Send them the link to this thread.
    Doubt you'll get a response, but at least they can see what others think and what 10's of thousands of affiliates are reading about them and using to help decide which programs to promote.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey HelpingMoms,

TysToyBox has a few disney princess items:

http://www.tystoybox.com/2200/20225/3336/1

We do very well with Disney themed sites, contact me and we can discuss it.

Thanks,

-Michael

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I got an email back from the AM. Apparently because I might hit the 11% tier this month, they are setting my 7% tier at me having to hit 10% more sales than I did this month. That's right. To make 4% less than I did last month, I have to sell 10% more next month.
    That is totally messed up!
    You think that if you sell more, you would get more. I am not sure if they are doing this to everybody or just you cos if you are the goose that lays the golden egg, don't eat the freaking goose.

As a Prog Manager, I have no idea why they are doing this? It could be that they are testing out a new campaign. Are they being managed by Linkshare or Disney?

I would shop around for other subsitutes for Disney and publicly tell them/PM, I am looking to drop your program!!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    AFAIK they're managed by some outside place. AH--the name just came to me.
    EcomWorks.

Unless they got rid of EW, that's the place to blame for the program.

I do remember that the place is run by idiots. A few years ago (before I kicked everything Snare off my sites), I had Disney. But, I only had them because I was getting searches for one particular product. So, I put up that 1 item, and every so often I'd sell one.

But, rather than touting up their conversion ratio and trying to get me to show more of their stuff, they threatened me (which doesn't work!), and then dropped me for not sending enough sales.

Any idiot place that doesn't realize that A Few Sales > No Sales at All shouldn't be in business.
    And them penalizing high performance strikes me as an outright death wish.

helping, if you have great Disney traffic, there are quite a few Disney products and promos that you can run with other merchants.
    Wow! I just remembered I have a CPA network that I offer several Disney Products at a great commission. Sell a couple of these, and it makes up for the dismal Disney commish.

PM me if you'd like for details.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread