I could use some help. Is it possible for someone to send email (virus of course) and make it look like it originated from someone else's web site? I have had our hosting company delete form mail from our servers, added new passwords and yet I am still getting "postmaster" returned undeliverable email that says it was sent from my site. I am technically challenged. Can anybody help?

Hi VSTP!!! Here is another thread that should help answer your question. I had the same question as you did and Cedric covered it prety good. BTW- I was getting alot of the same thing as you are. It has slowed down a little for me but still a few a day coming in.

http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...c&f=1&t=000948

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: GameBoy ]

You or someone who has your email address is infected with the Klez virus. You are exactly describing it's behavior.
    You can download a removal tool at:
    http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/da...oval.tool.html

Hope that helps.

Thank you GameBoy and MisterUnz.

GameBoy, you said in your post on the other other thread: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Some of the ones I am getting come back returned email like I was the one who sent it to someone. The worse thing is that I have always gotten them in my website emails that are listed on my pages.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I am experiencing. The reply to email that is being used is only found on my web pages. It's not used for any contact information. Did you get rid of this somehow or did it just stop?

I ran another virus scan with the latest virus definitions and nothing was detected.

I appreciate your help!

VSTP,

I pulled my email address that was on my most visited pages. That slowed it down quite a bit. I still have a couple other emails on less visited pages and still get a few a day from those pages I would imagine.

Like Cedric said which took me awhile to grasp is that when someone visits your webpage, their computer will store the info in a cashe. I believe so it will load quiker the next time they visit. So if that person in return gets the virus, the virus will scan looking for email addresses. It will pull it out of the cashe and continue to send emails and make it look like it is sent from one of the email addys it pulled off the infected computer. Most likey someone who has visited your site at one time or another. Most of the returned emails I get are from addys that aren't even on my computer. Its not that your computer is infected but one of your site visitors or someone that has your email in the addy book or stored in the cashe. At least this is what I am seeing.

If you are getting pounded like I was I would suggest you remove your email on the webpages for awhile until this blows over. It's a PITA but has saved me some grief.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread