ABW Ambassador
    1&1 5-domain hosting package help please!
    I signed up with 1&1 5-domain hosting package recently. Just started to build two new sites with MS frontpage. The most trouble part of this package is to publish the sites. I made a default.asp page to direct different domains, and I created seperate folders for different domains. Then I built a few pages for two sites, then published web...one site up right, another site goes to a 404 error page.

In the past three days, I've been on the phone with at least 5 reps located at Philipine(they said the first level support team are all philipinos), everytime they put me on line for at least two hours through netviewer trying to help me figure out what's the problem. Most of the time they asked me to open file, publish web, open another file, copy something, publish web...believe me, I've been asked to "published web" so many times that when the last lady asked me to click "publish", I almost yaled out: AGAIN???

I don't mind their support team are Philipinos, the problem is nobody seems know what's the problem and how to fix it except asking me publish again and again. I asked the last lady for their second level support's phone number, she said the second level can only be reached by email!!!

I need help. Yes I do. Anybody who is using 1&1 multi-domain hosting package, please share your experiences with me and help me figure out this problem. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by atonca

I signed up with 1&1 5-domain hosting package recently.

Just started to build two new sites with MS frontpage.

The most trouble part of this package is to publish the sites.

I made a default.asp page to direct different domains, and I created seperate folders for different domains.

Then I built a few pages for two sites, then published web...one site up right, another site goes to a 404 error page.

I asked the last lady for their second level support's phone number, she said the second level can only be reached by email!!!
    First of all, add spaces between major points (as I did to portions of your post) -- otherwise your post is difficult to read.

Do you have a main folder set up called public_html?
    If not, set up a main folder called public_html

I don't use MS frontpage nor do I use .asp

An e-mail support might be a good idea because you will be able to write precisely what the problem is and you will get exact instructions in writing. I don't see a problem with that.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Your problem doesn't sound 1 & 1 specific.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    The problem may be that they don't know how to use Front Page which is not "normal" web publishing, it's proprietary. They are probably telling you the "normal" way things are done.

You could try ditching the Front Page Extensions, and instead of "publishing" (which ONLY FP does), use FTP to upload the sites like all other regular sites do. FP does some very wierd things that most people aren't familiar with, and with using it lotsa luck with trying to use .htaccess which you'll need to do.

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia7:

I have a main folder including three sub-folders(for three different domains) and a default.asp page(this page is required by 1&1 hosting in order to re-direct multi-domains under one hosting, basicly it is a few lines of codes that they provided on their FAQs).

An email support might be good if the problem is clearly defined. But I'm not sure what the problem is. I guess there is something wrong when I tried to "publish web".

Yesterday, a tech support rep said she know what the problem is and she actually fixed it. Both sites look fine after I hung up the phone. This morning, I made some content changes on some of the pages and published web. Guess what? One site was fine and the other site went to 404 error pages. So I called support again. Another rep tried almost 3 hours checking with stuff back and forth. she finally broght up the error site, but the fine site went to 404 error page this time. She siad has done her shift for the day, she can't help me on the other site plus she don't know what the previous rep do with that site.

I can't blame on them because those reps are very friendly indeed. But seems to me they were all working based on their own web knowledges. For example, one rep told me it doesn't matter if I check the box of "include sub sites" when publush web, another rep said I should always check that box...

One rep brought up site#1, another rep brought up site#2 and killed the site#1. I think they should know better how to make 3 or 5 domains all work under one hosting package -- that's the main purpose for me to buy the multi domain hosting package, right?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    The problem may be that they don't know how to use Front Page which is not "normal" web publishing, it's proprietary. They are probably telling you the "normal" way things are done.

You could try ditching the Front Page Extensions, and instead of "publishing" (which ONLY FP does), use FTP to upload the sites like all other regular sites do. FP does some very wierd things that most people aren't familiar with, and with using it lotsa luck with trying to use .htaccess which you'll need to do.
    "Ditching Front Page Extensions": do you mean set up FP extentions on 1&1 control panel? Yes I did.

There is no problem if I publish only one site using FP. The problem comes when I have 2,3,or 5 sites need to be published. I don't think their reps familiar with FP or Muti-domain hosting package they are selling.

",and with using it lotsa luck with trying to use .htaccess which you'll need to do" : I'm lost here, could you explain what do you mean?

ABW Ambassador
    .htaccess is a file on a site that tells the server what to do with pages in different situations. It's too much to get into, but there are several things it's necessary to use it for pretty often, including when pages are moved and for redirection for canonical issues (for Google). FP is not compatible with doing the "normal" things in .htaccess on an Apache server, in fact trying can bring a whole site down.

Sounds to me like the techs know what they're doing where the hosting is concerned, but they really can't be expected to be trained for proprietary software packages that people use.

It sounds like FP is just *not* working with using add-on domains with one single hosting account. IMHO what you need is true multi-domain hosting where each site/domain has it's own hosting space and its own control panel and it's own FP extensions installed if you insist upon using them, rather than being in a sub-folder of one account with one control panel.

There is a big difference between the two and with true multiple domain hosting you would not be running into these problems.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    .htaccess is a file on a site that tells the server what to do with pages in different situations. It's too much to get into, but there are several things it's necessary to use it for pretty often, including when pages are moved and for redirection for canonical issues (for Google). FP is not compatible with doing the "normal" things in .htaccess on an Apache server, in fact trying can bring a whole site down.

Sounds to me like the techs know what they're doing where the hosting is concerned, but they really can't be expected to be trained for proprietary software packages that people use.

It sounds like FP is just *not* working with using add-on domains with one single hosting account. IMHO what you need is true multi-domain hosting where each site/domain has it's own hosting space and its own control panel and it's own FP extensions installed if you insist upon using them, rather than being in a sub-folder of one account with one control panel.

There is a big difference between the two and with true multiple domain hosting you would not be running into these problems.
    I think I kind of figure out what the problem is. The overwrite-site problem happened whenever I made new pages and re-published the web. I'm working on it using trail-an-error methods. It's a hard way but still better than trying explain to dozens of different reps what's going on. I'm also re-write my default.asp page to point each site to its own index page in a right way. So far so good.

By the way, do you have any good "true" multi-domain hosting providers to recommend to me? I'm still in 1&1's 3-month money back trial period. If it comes more troubles later, I might consider switching to other web hosting services.

Thanks for your input.

ABW Ambassador
    True multiple-domain hosting:

FastNext

Check out the reseller plans. There's a support ticket system, and their support people rock if you have questions.

I have a few Windows accounts on 1&1 and I do not use .htaccess or asp code to redirect domain. Redirection of domain can be done through the control panel. Set up each domain to point to a subdirectory from the root.

www.domain1.com - \website1
    www.domain2.com - \website2

Put default.asp or index.htm in each of the subdirectories which will become the home page of the domain. Do not point your domains to default.asp in the root directory and use asp code to redirect to the proper directory. Note that if you are using asp.net then there can be only one default.aspx in the package

Avoid using Frontpage extentions as the site updates takes about 3 hours and also the FTP is disabled. If you create strictly ASP or HTML pages using FrontPage, try using FTP to upload instead of publishing with Frontpage. There have been reports (search AB) that your affiliate links can get messed up if you are using FrontPage.

I only use .htaccess only to trap 404 errors (page not found) and redirect the user to the right domain.

PM me if you need more setup instructions.

ABW Ambassador
    Redirection of domain can be done through the control panel. Set up each domain to point to a subdirectory from the root.

www.domain1.com - \website1
    www.domain2.com - \website2
    That's not the kind of redirection I'm referring to. I'm referring to redirecting non-www http://example.com to www.example.com which is a completely different issue.

I only use .htaccess only to trap 404 errors (page not found) and redirect the user to the right domain.
    Then you're not dealing with the www. and non-www canonical issues and the problems with seach engine indexing. Those are technically different pages, and if both are accessible then it's duplicate content being served up on two different URLs.

As soon as I set up hosting for a new site I immediately go to this page

http://www.webmasterwoman.com/design...-homepage.html

and copy and paste the redirection code into .htaccess - simply because I'm a dummy, can't ever remember it due to middle-age memory issues, and am seriously technically challenged.

If you don't do it that way, then how are you dealing with the canonical issue for the root? And what do you do if you move a page from one URL to another, how do you do the 301 redirection for that with add-on hosting and domains in sub-folders?

Added:

To be honest, if you're accomplishing it I'd love to know how since there's an additional host I'd love to set up another hosting account with who have add-on domains but I haven't figured out how to do that with add-on domains. As far as I know so far, it can't be done so if it can, it would help tremendously to know how you're getting it done.

ABW Ambassador
    I finally found out a way to put up muiti-domain sites with FrontPage. Almost all the reps who did the netviwer with me made repeatly mistakes by trying "publish web". That's where my three sites get messed up after they made me doing copies and pastes and publishes again and again.

I was staring at my computer screen when I suddently realized that there is no need to publish web whenever a new page is created. If I open the web, they are online and all I need to do is save the works I've done. Then...there, the pages are live! Man! I wish somebody could tell me that instead of holding me on the phone for hours, going away to check sth, and coming back doing the same stupid publish web numerous times

This is the first time I used FP to build sites. With zero programming background, I rely mostly on sitebuider softwares for my first site. I thought FP should be a good tool to learn. Is that true that affiliate links can get messed up by using FrontPage? I'm a little worry now.

Xion, how do you know that site updates takes about 3 hours by using Frontpage extentions? I made about 20 pages this afternoon, they were all online right away. Am I missing your point here? Your way of redirection of domain sounds make a lot of sense but, too bad, it is not on 1&1's FAQ. In the past two weeks, I actually followed 1&1's FAQs step by step plus tons of researches and I finally come to this far. If I re-setup the directory using your method, will I have to re-do all the works? My most concern: will it mess up my sites?

If FP publishing is the trouble maker, maybe I should disable FrontPage Extention and enable FTP to upload files. But again, will I have to re-do the works?

If FP publishing is the trouble maker, maybe I should disable FrontPage Extention and enable FTP to upload files. But again, will I have to re-do the works?
    Don't disable the FrontPage Extention until you know what you're doing, because you might disable your site if you're using any of those FrontPage Components already.

But once you learn how to use FrontPage without the server Extentions, you will work faster, and use less than halve the space you're using now on the server.

When you're using the FrontPage server Extentions, you have duplicate files of almost everything you upload to the server.

I was there once, and I never looked back, once I learned that I didn't needed those server Extentions for nothing.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Don't disable the FrontPage Extention until you know what you're doing, because you might disable your site if you're using any of those FrontPage Components already.

But once you learn how to use FrontPage without the server Extentions, you will work faster, and use less than halve the space you're using now on the server.

When you're using the FrontPage server Extentions, you have duplicate files of almost everything you upload to the server.

I was there once, and I never looked back, once I learned that I didn't needed those server Extentions for nothing.
    Yes, that's what I most concerned about. Since I have at least 1 site running after these days strugling, I really don't want to disable it.

I do realize that IE brings up my site very very slow, about 10 seconds maybe? That's definitely unacceptable. It must be the duplicate files using up the space like you said. Do you mind share with me on how to use FrontPage without the server Extentions. I want my site work faster.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread