What should I do?
    Hi

Unfortunately, I let a domain name lapse. My site traffic did a nose dive and through a google search, I found that someone is holding my domain hostage (minimum price bid is $500.) I can't decide whether I should pay the ransom (which could be more than $500) to get the name back or just recreate my site with a new domain name.

Do these kind of people just make money selling domains or could they be getting affliate commission off my site? I wouldn't want to let this person make any more money than necessary.

As I think this through, I would appreciate your suggestions about the factors I should consider.

Thanks.

I'm not sure they are really holding it hostage. For example, I search for good domains every day and have a few dozen up for sale at AfterNIC. Sometimes if I see a really good one on hold I pay extra at GoDaddy for their service that helps grab it as soon as it expires. It's just business. Sadly, if you let it expire, you will probably have to pay whatever if you really want it back.

Suggestion.... Offer them $100, then if they say no, keep negotiating. I've done it before and sometimes it works.

Good luck.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

They might have the domain, but not the content. How much are the backlinks worth? Everything else can be put up on a new domain that might be better for you if..... your able to get a better keyword in the domain

It's common for domain pros to do this. They can make money off the traffic you built up or by selling it back to the original owner, or someone else.

I wouldn't want to let this person make any more money than necessary.
    I wouldn't look at it like this. Unless the domain has some sentimental value, look at like a business decision, it's not personal. If what you built up, and the future sales, are worth $500 I'd pay it and take it as a lesson learned and move on.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Hello landplanfran,

The suggestions that have been provided so far have been good ones.

Consider placing your domain names on autorenew if that feature is available through your registrar. It can save you a lot of headaches in the future.

All The Best,

Tony

Thank you
    I am amazed and overwhelmed by everyone's helpful suggestions. I have started negotiating but doubt this person will come down to a realistic figure since his initial response was so high.

Thus, I am also starting a replacement web site. Does a google site map speed up the process of getting into their search engine? That is a key factor I need to consider.

Thanks again for your thoughtful suggestions.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread