VHS to DVD - how to?
    Not sure if this is the place to post this, but what is the best way to go about recording old VHS tapes on DVD? I don't want to buy a machine to do this as I think I have most of the bits already - VHS machine (pretty modern) and a DVD burner on my computer.

Anyone ever tried this? any tips?

If you wanted to do it on your computer, basically you would just need a video capture card and DVD burning software. The nice thing is that you can do as basic or as fancy of a job as you want. With the DVD, you can add menus, chapters, captions, etc.

We bought a digital camera that records 640x480 30fps video (up to 17 minutes on a 2GB card) last year, and we've basically stopped using our camcorder. It was always a pain to carry both a camera and the camcorder. We used to record 30 minutes at a time with the camcorder, but we never went back and watched it. Now, with the digital camera, we record 30-120 second videos, pick and choose (and accumulate) the best ones, and burn them to DVDs. It's easy to add a few clips to the "project" and burn multiple copies. And we actually watch them. They're shorter, higher quality, and more interesting than what we used to record.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

A few months ago I got a video camera that records directly to DVD, no authoring required. Granted, the menus it puts on the finalized disc are basic, but you can then go to your computer, rip the DVD and re-author it. Nice short clips, or long clips (30 minute limit per disc). Good stuff

Anyway, to the original question - I have yet to do it myself because... well, okay, I'm lazy about it - but yeah, all you really need is a video capture card and the software to do it. The capture cards are relatively cheap, check PriceGrabber or PriceWatch.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I have a Canon ZR80 miniDV camcorder. It has video input, and firewire output.

You set it to passthrough mode, and anything fed into the video input appears as DV on the firewire output, so you can record video direct to HDD on your computer.

If you don't have one, you might have a buddy with one who will lend it to you for the short time you'll need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    Not sure if this is the place to post this, but what is the best way to go about recording old VHS tapes on DVD? ...Anyone ever tried this? any tips?
    Done this to all of my family VHS tapes. What you need, Paul, is a DVD-Recorder/VCR combo. I have an LG DVR584X, but couldn't find any pages with this exact model in English. Something like this is what you need to get, mate. In the UK prices for them range from £125 to £450, but you can get a decent one at around £160-180. Check your PM.

Geno

Thanks for the replies folks, I was hoping to do this on the cheap with maybe just a cable to connect my VHS player and my computer with it's DVD burner - I'll have a play around this weekend. Looks like I'll have to invest in some new hardware if I can't manage it as it is.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread