The Worst Reversal Horror Storie?
    Ok,

I Promote Web Hosting Companies using PPC - normally you get a lot of reversal doing this.

But one minor Company that I promote a few months reversed too much of the commissions compared with the other companies:

I did 16 sales in last months and they reversed 15 of these sales!!!

This means that from $1440 I will receive only $90 in commission and $1350 got reversed.

I promote other 10 Web Hosting Companies and yes they reverse a lot but not like that - What should I do now? Contact CJ about this?

If I contact CJ about this they would do some kind of auditory in this advertiser? about these reversals or what?

thanks

Drop them. There is little else you can do. You could argue till your fingers fall off and it still will make little difference.

Either find a better advertisers in the field (good luck you will need it) or find another area to promote.

Any search of web hosting companies and affiliate programs here at ABW will give you the clear message these are some of the most unfriendly affiliate programs around.

Yeah, don't waste your time with them. Find the ones that work out and pay like they should.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Here is mine. A prison ordered shoes through my links, for all residents... the commission was almost three thousand dollars, but since they had a wholesale contract with the shoe place, they reversed my entire commission! It didn't seem quite kosher but it did happen. I was so depressed. whaaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMag
    Ok,

I Promote Web Hosting Companies using PPC - normally you get a lot of reversal doing this.

But one minor Company that I promote a few months reversed too much of the commissions compared with the other companies:

I did 16 sales in last months and they reversed 15 of these sales!!!

This means that from $1440 I will receive only $90 in commission and $1350 got reversed.

I promote other 10 Web Hosting Companies and yes they reverse a lot but not like that - What should I do now? Contact CJ about this?

If I contact CJ about this they would do some kind of auditory in this advertiser? about these reversals or what?

thanks

Would you mind naming names?

I promote Web Hosting, and have seen a fair number of reversals over the months from Bluehost, Startlogic, and IX Web Hosting--but nothing real alarming.

I just want to make sure I don't already have this company on my page, and if I don't, not to pick them up.

Thanks,

SDC

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Start Logic - they seem to reverse a greater percentage than they approve...

StartLogic explained it once to me. That is when I dropped them.

Seems that if someone signs up and uses the "monthly" payment system rather than paying for the ENTIRE year (or two) in advance then you don't get the comission. I don't know about you buy not many people are willing to pay a "new" hosting company (to them it's new) an entire year in advance.

The sale still shows up, but by the end of the month they reverse all those that paid for the monthly way.

Their "excuse" for this was "we can't possible make money off a monthly subscriber".

Now I don't know about you, but that's their job, not mine. Mine was to get them customers, and I did, and because those customers didn't pay for a year OR more then we don't get ANYTHING. Of course after a YEAR then you certainly don't get that valid and solid customer comission either.

Most people I know pay for their hosting, and even their dedicated servers MONTHLY. That is the majority of the business model, and yet the affiliate programs are not setup to monetize on this model.

I also question why then do those comissions even show up in the transactions since they don't qualify in the first place, but that is entirely different story.

IMHO.

They're feeding you a line of complete and utter bullshit.

If anything, hosting companies make *more* in the long run on monthly contracts, since they usually end up discounting annual packages to entice people to buy them. Of course this assumes that the customer *stays* with the host, which is not likely with most of these shady hosts.

If the host was on the up-and-up, they would offer two different types of commissions, one rate for annual signups, and one for monthly signups. Most likely, as an affiliate, you would then PUSH the annual packages moreso than the monthly packages, since presumably the commision for the annual contract would be 10-20x the amount for monthly...

I have yet to read anyone say anything positive about any hosting affiliate programs.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
    Would you mind naming names?

I promote Web Hosting, and have seen a fair number of reversals over the months from Bluehost, Startlogic, and IX Web Hosting--but nothing real alarming.

I just want to make sure I don't already have this company on my page, and if I don't, not to pick them up.

Thanks,

SDC
    I'm talking about BlueFish Hosting

I promote too Bluehost, Startlogic, and IX Web Hosting and is a big difference.

I take close look into BlueFish Web site:

www.bluefishhosting.com

and I think that this 15 reversals in 16 sales could be legitimate as they has a poor quality site and probably poor hosting service too.

Take a close look for example in his front page and you will see that Bluefish is very proud of to be the top web hosting of the year in some crap web host directories (see medal pictures) like:

http://www.websitehostingreviews.com/

http://www.webhostdir.com/

http://www.findmyhost.com/

If someday I see IXWebhosting for example doing something like that I would be sure that this would be a hacker invasion.

Thanks for the replies, I will just drop Bluefish and choose better before promoting a new advertiser.

I had a $400 commission for a high-end laptop reversed once. The merchant claimed it was due to one of their salespeople who took a customer order over the phone while he "accidentally" (whatever that means) had my cookie on his machine. Nothing in their T&Cs to say we don't get paid when their salespeople are incompetent, but here I am today without my $400...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread