I have DSL and Norton Personal Firewall and want to get some extra protection from hackers. But now I'm reading the next step up in security, a router, is the newest target for hackers.

Am I going to gain some security by installing a router? Will it help thwart hackers who might otherwise penetrate my software firewall?

If so, would a wireless router be just as secure as a wired one? Any recommendations on brands or costs of the wireless routers? I have a desktop PC and a laptop and would like to use the laptop throughout the house.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If so, would a wireless router be just as secure as a wired one? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no! it would be less so because the wireless uses radio-frequencies to communicate... and rumor has it that WEP - the encryption standard for wireless - has been broken. Then again, I use wireless and am in a densely-populated area, but I don't keep sensitive information on any of my systems. I don't think hackers are going to go the trouble to hack into a personal system that is protected - there isn't enough to gain by it.

I switched from Norton to Zone Alarm and think it offers much better protection. If you get a "hardware" firewall to go with the software IMHO should be OK.

Don't forget the importance of keeping your Virus software up-to-date because there are trojan horses that will change your firewall rules. Try not to use file-sharing on your computers ... if you *must* then don't share your C drive or Windows directory and anything you do share should be password-protected.

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

I've always looked at it this way...Would you rather have your point of failure at your PC, or away from your PC?

I'd recommend getting at least a DSL/Cable Router, that puts one more layer of protection in.

I'll bet there are some Tiger Direct Affiliates here that can recommend one for you.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Sunny Miami

We have many more to chose from. Buy from one of my affiliates hhere or better yet, become a Tiger affiliate, buy at a discount and make yourself some money...

LOL Andy - why didn't *I* think of that!

I agree with Mr Unz - I wouldn't trust to just the software firewall, because there are viruses that can rewrite your firewall rules and leave a back door, but if you've got the software, and a hardware firewall - router, etc. - and follow some simple precautions you should be OK (for now).

Still - if you are going to use wireless - you are taking a very real additional risk and need to be cautious. I think there is a way to use tunneling to make wireless more secure but I don't know much about it.

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread