AJAX Wishlists and Product Comparison
    I've been seeing a lot of these lately. It's when you can either drag a product off the catalog into the navigation or you can simply click a button to add it to your shopping list. I've heard good things about both, but some seem to prefer the more bulky but fun drag and drop. Personally, as a shopper I'd find the dragging a little tiresome when a simple click will do the trick. What's also a nice trend is the shopping list follows you around the site as you shop. From here it usually goes to the basic product compare where each product is displayed in a column for the shopper to compare specs.

So much innovation going on I sometimes feel a little behind. It's not the big picture either. It's all these small bits of pieces that you really have to look for and pay attention to. And even when you think you've figured out all the small details you turn a stone and discover a whole new language and thousands of people who already speak it. The internet sure moves fast...

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've heard good things about both, but some seem to prefer the more bulky but fun drag and drop.
    That'd be fun!
    A lot of merchants have the "add to list" feature, so drag-n-drop would be, at least for now, something different enough to be interesting.
    What's also a nice trend is the shopping list follows you around the site as you shop.
    That could get annoying if it wasn't done right. For instance I can't stand sites where the nav moves down the screen "with you" as you scroll down. So to like this part, it'd have to stay stationary.
    From here it usually goes to the basic product compare where each product is displayed in a column for the shopper to compare specs.
    Oh those spec-comparison things need HELP!
    The main problem is, if you want to see the specs of more than 2 or 3 things, most of them end up with lots of side-scrolling. There needs to be a way to show 5 or 6 things on ONE screen--like having the size of each item's display change depending on how many things are selected.

Unlike price-comparisons, I can see the real value in spec comparisons. But the "basic" setup needs improvement.
    Another problem I've found with spec comparisons is that often the merchant doesn't have all the data for all the related products, effectively making the generated chart useless. For instance, if you compare graphics card specs, one may have its core speed listed, another may have how much RAM it's got, and Card #3 may just say what slot it goes in. Of course, this scenario would be avoided if the merchant just put in everything that was right there on the boxes, but noooo...

I can imagine a lot of interesting ways to improve upon the spec comparisons. This is really where price comparison can help in a way you wouldn't expect. By having a selection of descriptions and product names to choose from for a single product you can draw a fairly decent spec picture. It takes the emphasis from a single merchant and gives you a pool of data from various merchants. But even with this data you'll definitely need to manually go over it and make sure everything is correct.

Another way to go is to hire somebody to handle your specs. They can go through each product that's highly clicked or purchased and look up specs from the manufacturer websites or the product packaging. Companies like Shopping.com, Shopzilla and Pricegrabber have the money and resources to hire a team for collecting specs. What bugs me is they distribute this information to their affiliates who then pop up with "price comparison" engines with highly normalized content. Newcomers to the affiliate game just jump in with a business plan, some programming money and help themselves to this valuable data. Then they've already got a leg up on anybody who doesn't have it. I'd love to have detailed specs, but not when it requires promoting my competition.

If anybody knows of a place to purchase this information I'd love to have a look.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread