Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LinkShare Deal Dispatcher DataFeed?
    Is there a way to receive the LinkShare Deal Dispatcher in a datafeed? It would save affiliates lots of time. Thanks.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I am sure that it can be done but there is no feature to do that at the moment. Also, what priority will this be on Linkshare's list? Maybe the LS rep can chime in...

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    SDF,
    Currently this is not an option to receive the Deal Dispatcher. We have heard from our Affiliate Advisory Board that they would like to receive direct links. Because there are so many affiliates that receive the newsletter, it is very difficult to customize this. One thing you might want to consider is looking into Link Locator Direct.

Link Locator Direct is an XML data feed that provides access updated promotions and products from merchants without having to create links manually by logging into the LinkShare Interface. To access the Link Locator Direct feed, you will need to build a web services application. If you are interested in signing up for Link Locator Direct, email inklocatordirect@linkshare.com and include your username that you use to access your LinkShare Affiliate Program. LinkShare will send you the Link Locator Direct Implementation Guidelines and your LinkShare affiliate ID.

For more information on Link Locator Direct, go to the Affiliate Resource Center and select Web Services http://www.linkshare.com/rc/webservi...tordirect.html.

Ranae

Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare Moderator
    SDF,
    Currently this is not an option to receive the Deal Dispatcher. We have heard from our Affiliate Advisory Board that they would like to receive direct links. Because there are so many affiliates that receive the newsletter, it is very difficult to customize this. One thing you might want to consider is looking into Link Locator Direct.

Link Locator Direct is an XML data feed that provides access updated promotions and products from merchants without having to create links manually by logging into the LinkShare Interface. To access the Link Locator Direct feed, you will need to build a web services application. If you are interested in signing up for Link Locator Direct, email inklocatordirect@linkshare.com and include your username that you use to access your LinkShare Affiliate Program. LinkShare will send you the Link Locator Direct Implementation Guidelines and your LinkShare affiliate ID.

For more information on Link Locator Direct, go to the Affiliate Resource Center and select Web Services http://www.linkshare.com/rc/webservi...tordirect.html.

Ranae

Is the XML data feed available to all affiliates freely or are there any related costs/fees involved?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia,
    There is no cost to affiliates to receive the Link Locator Direct feeds. However, Link Locator Direct is accessible only using SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol). You will need to build a web services to access the feeds. There is some sample programming language in the Guideline. If you understand the programming languages then this would be something that you should explore.

Ranae

Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare Moderator
    SDF,
    We have heard from our Affiliate Advisory Board that they would like to receive direct links. Because there are so many affiliates that receive the newsletter, it is very difficult to customize this.
    Sadly, I just click delete when I see your newsletter. I have been saying for years that direct links are needed, even if you include the links and let us search and replace for our own id. Many of us don't have the time to go an generate link after link after link, or go in to read a banner to find out what the code is or when it expires. Yes we need them, and they enhance sales, but it is a time factor. How about links with a search and replace ( enter your linkshare id here) thing? How about including coupon codes when applicable and expiration dates so we don't have to click and hunt to find them? Most of us *do* want to post this stuff, but if you are able to take the time to make it easier on us, I guarantee you will see sales go up! It would take someone a few hours to do this on your end, and I am guessing a lot less affiliates will click delete.

Just a suggestion

Ranae,
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I'll look into the Link Locator Direct.

I was hoping that the Deal Dispatcher was available as a datafeed. Since all the information is already there, I thought it was easy to provide in a datafeed format (much like the ShareaSale coupon feed).

Currently I mostly promote ShareaSale merchants because they provide their coupons and latest promotions in one datafeed format. It takes very little work on my part to maintain my site because the coupons/promotions update automatically. Unfortunately, not all the top merchants are on ShareaSale. That's why I was looking at Linkshare to expand my site.

Hopefully, the Link Locator Direct can provide what I need. However, I would still prefer a single coupon datafeed like ShareaSale. Do you think this may be an option in the future?

I finally managed to access the Link Locator. However, i couldnt' find a feed that has all the merchant coupons in one file. Does this exist?

SDF,
    First are talking about Link Locator or Link Locator Direct?

Link Locator is just a way for merchants to use standard categories for their links. There are no feeds available through this option.

Link Locator Direct is what you want to get the XML feeds. I think you can pull all the feeds at one time as long as you belong to all those programs. I will check with our person who manages Link Locator Direct.

Ranae

I was refering to link locator direct. i was wondering if there's a single feed that has all merchant coupons in one file?

The concept of "coupons" doesn't exist at LinkShare. Everything is just a link. There's no special database for coupons. LinkLocator tries to categorize links, but it's not enforced at all so there are no standards and not a lot of merchant utilization.

LinkLocatorDirect has three groups of feeds:

1) HomeLinks - One link per merchant, presumably to their home page.
    2) TextPromotion - Text links for any LinkLocator category text link.
    3) BannerPromotion - Banner links for any LinkLocator category banner links.

You can use the GetAllLinks command for each of the these three types and get all available LinkLocator links with those three calls.

Keep in mind that the only links you can currently get through LinkLocatorDirect are the links that the merchant has categorized in the LinkLocator categories. For most merchants, most of their links (and often many of their coupon links) are in other categories which you won't receive through LinkLocatorDirect. (I'm pressing my contacts to expand the project to ALL links, except Merchandiser links).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

SDF,
    With Link Locator Direct, like Michael said you can download a feed of all Banners or Text Links for all Merchants and that feed will include all Banners or Text Links that the Merchants have categorized as Coupon. Additionally the feeds will also include creative that are categorized using any of the other five creative categories namely Hot Products, Logos, Promotion/General, Free Shipping, Best Converting.

Right now there is no coupon feed, you will need to download the complete feed and filter out the feed based on the Coupon Category.

Ranae

Thanks for the clarification. As long as the categories are populated and updated, it should work fine.

All,
    I am new to web development in general and to aff. marketing in particular. And I am trying to get Link Locator Direct to work with php/mysql on my site and hopefully automate my Linkshare link updates to my pages, but I've never dealt with XML or SOAP/WSDL.

Has anyone done this for Link Locator Direct yet?

I'm REALLY hoping that someone might do something similar to what Dirk Gardner did last year, but with the XML/SOAP/WSDL angle.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Chris

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey

Keep in mind that the only links you can currently get through LinkLocatorDirect are the links that the merchant has categorized in the LinkLocator categories. For most merchants, most of their links (and often many of their coupon links) are in other categories which you won't receive through LinkLocatorDirect. (I'm pressing my contacts to expand the project to ALL links, except Merchandiser links).
    Has any progress been made with this, I'm currently looking into LLD today and would like to know what developments have happened since this thread.

Also can I get the XML feed for an individual merchant or is it only available as one big xml feed. I have only just started so excuse me if these questions sound silly as I still have a lot to work out yet.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

They're still planning on extending LLD to be able to get all links (not just links in the Link Locator categories), but I don't think they've given a timeframe yet.

You can get a feed for an individual merchant or for all merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    ok sounds good, yes I realized that I can get it on a merchant by merchant basis now... the hard part now is trying to get something runnning....
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Does anyone know if there is a specific end or expiration field available in LLD?

I know of the following fields, but nothing for an end date or expiration date:

mname
    category
    displayText
    linkName
    linkUrl

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Does anyone know if there is a specific end or expiration field available in LLD?

mname
    category
    displayText
    linkName
    linkUrl
    Since the merchant's categories do not expire in LS until the offer expires (they can be deleted, but do not have expiration dates), you won't find an end date or expiration date in LLD.

So coupon/promotional links in LS do not have an expiration date? Does no one at LS have any type of brain activity? Most coupons/promotions I have ever seen expire at some point.

1) LS needs to define start date and end date for coupons/promotions
    2) LS merchants need to fill in the start/end date for every coupon/promotional link they add to the interface

Is that so hard? Every other affiliate network gets that and handles that. I wonder on a daily basis how LS keeps affiliates and merchants with their half ass way of doing things.

So coupon/promotional links in LS do not have an expiration date? Does no one at LS have any type of brain activity? Most coupons/promotions I have ever seen expire at some point.

1) LS needs to define start date and end date for coupons/promotions
    2) LS merchants need to fill in the start/end date for every coupon/promotional link they add to the interface

Is that so hard? Every other affiliate network gets that and handles that. I wonder on a daily basis how LS keeps affiliates and merchants with their half ass way of doing things.
    From what I can see LLD is not intended to be a tool for distributing coupon links. I'm told every product is permitted to belong to just one category, making it rather impractical to take an item in, say, Home & Garden, and put it on sale. LS would have me pull the item from Home & Garden and put it in Promotions.

No, I'm not happy with that approach, either. I'm trying the old-fashioned approach of sending messages to participants with pertinent information.

Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    From what I can see LLD is not intended to be a tool for distributing coupon links. I'm told every product is permitted to belong to just one category, making it rather impractical to take an item in, say, Home & Garden, and put it on sale. LS would have me pull the item from Home & Garden and put it in Promotions.

No, I'm not happy with that approach, either. I'm trying the old-fashioned approach of sending messages to participants with pertinent information.
    From an affiliate who wants to automate the daily updating of coupons/promotions and not wanting to wade through hundreds of emails each week, LinkShare is definately counter-productive when it comes to offering services or feeds that promote automation.

Quote Originally Posted by afrayer

I have to correct myself, here. I found the tool where this is apparently managed. The trick is that the tool is not named to be related to LLD, so I was led to believe the normal LinkLocator tools applied.

They do not.

There is a tool listed as under Beta called Campaign Manager. This is apparently the tool managers use to build the coupons, etc.

Managers are encouraged to put the expiration dates in the title of the promotion, but we do have a start date and an end date field to complete in creating a promotion. I will look to see if I can find the XML name for the end date...

mname
    category
    displayText
    linkName
    linkUrl
    And back to the original question I go...

I just looked through all of the documentation available to me, which is pretty close to the same as what's available to you. I find reference to a {endDate} token, but I do NOT find any of the fields you mention above by the names you mention above, leading me to believe we're still looking at two different implementations of the same thing.

I'll try to keep you in mind, in case I run into it somewhere else.

ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare do offer a way for affiliates to display the latest coupons and promotions on their websites without needing to update them manually. This is available through the RSS module but unfortunately only some merchants seem to understand how to use this simple technology and offer a working regularly updated feed. You can find all merchants that offer RSS feeds by browsing the list of merchants and you will see the RSS icon next to the name. But there is also another problem as many of these merchants that offer RSS feeds use them for other purposes besides coupons or promotions like displaying a link to a blog or something else that is pretty much useless to affiliates. But the RSS feeds are really great for the merchants who have them running properly. I would suggest you all press your merchants to start offering RSS feeds. Once you get a script working (there are many free ones available online to help you display RSS feeds on your web pages) and upload it to your website then you never have to update links again which means more time to add content or promote your website. Here is a list of the ones I have found to be good for coupons and promotions:

Office Depot
    Footlocker.com
    Hotwire
    4AllMemory.com
    Forzieri.com
    onehanesplace.com
    ShopNBC.com
    eToys
    TigerDirect.com
    GreatSkin.com
    Sierra Trading Post
    BabyUniverse.com
    KegWorks.com
    Mondera Jewelry
    Blue Nile
    Shop4Tech
    Handango

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast