This is primarily directed at those who are making a living at affiliate advertising - not necessarily "cleaning up" but at least making enough to pay the rent.

How many websites do you have?

I'd also be interested in who uses email in one form or another - this includes ezines, newsletters, Yahoo groups, etc.

Thanks.

That depends on your definition of "websites."

Do you count the one page I put on an unrelated domain discussing, well, something, that has brought in an income every month averaging $200 or so for several years as a website?

If so I probably have 450 or 500 websites. If not, then I guess I have about 20.

I never use ezines, email, groups, or anything but search engines and links from people who find my information useful.

ABW Ambassador
    Well first I have a number of content sites that I created prior to working the affiliate end of things. Let's not count those (although they do come in EXTREMELY handy for linking and SE issues). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

For the affiliate end of things, I have one primary site and 4 OnePageWonder sites (I'm calling a "site" anything with its own domain name).

For the most part, I don't see much reason to have multiple sites (except for linking and SE issues). Initially, I didn't plan to do anything beyond my one site. Like missdonna, I have tons of "special" pages on my one domain.

But I decided I wanted to do some testing of offline marketing for several different niche products. For those I needed SHORT URLs and there was no way to get short enough in a directory on my existing site.
    So I bought some short, easy-to-remember, and relevant domain names and just recently built some new sites.

I have not yet launched the offline market test.

I just started a NEWSLETTER. I HATE doing newsletters, but everyone says they're a good idea. We'll see. I have yet to be convinced. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I've also bought ads in ezines... I may not be targeting these right. I've shown some sales, but not enough to cover the cost of the ads. Possibly enough bookmarker traffic to make it worthwhile in the long-run, but no stats to prove so today.

The four one page sites have already begun generating income (even though I haven't launched the offline campaigns), but they are a small percentage of my income. The one mega-site is also the mega-money. And I believe that if weren't for the offline adv/short url issue, I could have created those sites as part of my mega-site with little difference in earnings.

ABW Ambassador
    Until a few months ago I had one site, plus some little pages on freebie hosts that I promoted with PPC search engines. Over time I've been rolling those into my main site. I wouldn't call it a "megasite" but it has been providing my living. Some recent roller-coaster experiences with Google have hammered home the lesson that it's wise to diversify, domain-wise, and I've been working to build pages on different domains hosted on different servers.

At the moment I have half-a-dozen domains in action besides my main site, and I have several more oh-so-clever domain names waiting in the wings. Some of them will only ever be one-page-wonders, but I have substantial plans for a couple of the others.

I have 12 sites all linked to off one domain. I decided to spare my customers some dire 'newsletter' and in return I should be pulling in six figures this year.

Theres a diary site too that Google originally found me from. Not sure if its still up.

There are some apprentices - three all getting their sites together and I expect we will interlink.

I

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got 12 so far.

Most of these are mega-sites aimed straight at selling. One's a category-specific site with a memorable URL, though.

One's a long-standing c*ntent site, and I recently put on another c*ntent site. Of course, this new one is there for SE purposes. That's not to say that there aren't a few ads on them! A site without ads is a site with wasted space, IMO... it would just be too bare without a nice AD on top and on the side [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] But I don't expect much of a direct contribution to the bottom line from the content...

One newsletter. It's a PITA! I wouldn't do any more of them whether they'd make money or not. W*rk spoils the broth. Much better to use my energy to make more pages, which will then make me money even if I ignore them!

The reason for so many sites is mainly to hedge (like Buckworks said)... Like her, I like to have a few spares in case of misfortune. Although it hasn't hurt my wallet, either...

Icicle, I'm not too far behind you...if not this year then next year!

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

10 sites quietly making money
    I'm working day and night, but I love it

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: chinaski ]

12 *mega* sites have got to be something of a nightmare to maintain.

You can't believe how happy I am that most of you don't do ezines/newsletters ... there are some "Affiliate guides" and ebooks out there that make you think that is the ONLY way to get customers. I absolutely *hate* writing content and was hoping it wasn't a necessary part of the equation.

I think I've got a total of 15 (of my own) sites either developed or waiting to be. Some are small and some large. One is a very large content site - actually a group of smaller sites on a domain I own- that has been acumulating content since 1996. (I'm only counting that as one site tho). I've got a bunch where the domains are registered and the space is set up but they are waiting for me to make them into websites. Then a few that were developed to sell design services but that I'm changing to sell affiliate product from.

I get unlimited free full domain stacks. That means all I've got to do is set up a user account and write the lines to my .htaccess file, then notify the host to add the DNS record. I've yet to see if there's going to be a search engine penalty for the stacked sites, but I don't think so as they all resolve to their respective domain names. As far as I know it's really no different than having a bunch of accounts on the same server - which is how hosting companies do do things anyway.

But I'm not making any money yet.

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "12 *mega* sites have got to be something of a nightmare to maintain.~Eaglefire"

It depends on how you look at it. If you're one of the fastidous types it is probably possible to actually go nuts!

On the other hand, if you tattoo "DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF" across your head it's actually pretty easy:

First, DO NOT UPDATE just for the sake of updating. Avoid limited-time offers. Avoid merchant-updated banners (they usually put on stupid ones even if the original one you picked was good. [March Madness Sale banners running in February are BAD! Merchant, you know who you are!!]) Only use product links from merchants who keep them STABLE.

Second, don't worry about anything that isn't affecting your bottom line (a substantial enough difference that there's no way it's a fluke!).

Third, it's easier to just put on a new merchant in addition to the existing ones, than it is to fish through thousands of pages pulling links to switch merchants.

Fourth, you do need to try to keep the dead links down. Dead links adversely affect Google rank. The fastest way to find dead links is to look at the error log. Whatever's generating 404s is what needs attention.

"Things" start to happen on backwater pages. Links go dead. Banners quit working. Occasionally you'll find that the MERCHANT ITSELF died--6 months ago. Don't let it bother you. I'm NOT saying not to fix it...just don't be bothered by stuff like that. It's like shed hair from a dog. It happens... brush it off at your leisure.

Try not to worry about "why" certain things don't sell. It really doesn't matter 10 cents whether the product is a dud or the merchant is a crook when it comes to the bottom line! Things either sell and stay sold, or they do not. Promote what sells (and stays sold), and don't worry about the rest too much if at all. There's always another merchant. If the first one can't cut it, get another.

Those basic methods of operation make the running of multiple mega-sites a lot easier...and keep the money coming in good!

ABW Ambassador
    Just bought 12 more yesterday...OUch.....Should keep me busy for the next 6 months. LOL

ABW Ambassador
    I have one content site with two front ends on two different domains, a one page wonder and am presently developing another sales site.

I do run an e-zine but it's all automated, i.e. a cron job grabbing existing content and bunging it into a template. I just edit the header when I want to change ads.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread