Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Frustration
    I am a mild mannered guy except when my Brooklyn comes out. I am wondering how you guys and gals deal with it when something technical breaks.

I have had dsl for years and for the last 2 years it has been spotty to say the least. Some days it was fine and other days I load three webpages and get disconnected. I have rewired the phone lines, changed the modem three times, changed numerous settings nothing gets the dsl to work.

Today I broke down and ordered broadband through the cable company, I hate the cable company and refused to pay them a dime but this is a business decision I had to make as it was hurting my bottom line. They are installing it next week.

I come home today and my direct tv decides it doesn't want to change channels so I picked up the computer chair and threw it through the televison. Solved that problem didn't I!

At what point do other people just snap when it comes to computer glitches or am I the only one. Posting yours will make me feel better.

Gives me a good excuse to get a new chair and a flat panel tv.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I tried DSL a few years ago. It took them a month and a half to get it working right. Even then, it was only 1/3 the speed advertised because I was so far from the central connection building. I have cable where I live now and it's much much faster. Now, I'm to far from a central box to even get DSL.

Yeah we all do it.
    Some a lot less dramatic than others. Myself, I have picked up the monitor and contemplated throwing it through the living window. Luckily the desk was by the couch and madawg who was there watching tv, (and who had been dealing with me getting more and more pissed for hours,) talked me down. Came close though.
    I did rip the keyboard drawer off the desk once. Funny thing was I had slammed the drawer closed because I was upset, and later when I cooled off, I went to work some more and it wouldn't open as I had jammed it. That set me off more and bye bye drawer, keyboard and mouse. Got me a nice multimedia keyboard and optical mouse.

* twitch *

But I'm good right now. *twitch*
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Tax Paying Member
    Thought seriously about passing on posting.

I have cable......Time Warner Road Runner...........Most of the time it works fine. It's only at the most important times that it is down.......Like when I need to send out something important...............whenever there is lightning close by.......whenever it rains....etc....

It is never their responsibility...........

My chair is to big to throw. My TV is in the other room. This is all planned inorder to save the TV from destruction.

But I can scream to the point where the neighbors think that my wife is beating me.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Here, we can't get DSL or Cable. We have two different providers who have wireless broadband. I use both of them and a Dual-WAN router so I can switch between them if one has problems. One of my neighbors ended up getting a T1 to his house (at about $500/month). I've contemplated that once in a while, during those rare times when both of my providers are down.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Talking
    Vinny,

I am so glad you posted this.

You and I must have ESP -- your question (about DSL) came simultaneously to mine (I am wondering about dial-up vs. DSL vs. Cable-- and making a switch -- but was afraid to ask it here in fear that some people would scoff at my question and my naitivite) -- this is like something from The Twilight Zone

You said yourself that you
    have no interest in anything but fast cars and fast women [source]
    and since that time I have been riddled with doubt: am I fast enough for Vinny?

You see, Vinny, I connect via an ISP telephone modem so I don't know how I rate with guys who prefer fast women

I love the ISP username that I have held for 10 years and I don't want to give it up; I also don't want to give up the 10 MB disk space my current plan has.

My ISP offers a DSL option, but to tell the truth I am not sure what that would entail and I wonder about the economics of the deal.

I currently pay $21.95 per month to Earthlink for dial-up (plus I get 10 MB of space) -- (their cheaper $9.95 deals are come ons that expire in 3 months)

Earthlink has plenty of local access numbers. Connection to the Internet is rarely a problem for me.

I think companies try to surround [their] DSL [deals] with lots of puffery in order to hike up the demand for it. Once a company has you hooked on a DSL deal or a Cable deal they know they've got you & they hike up the price.

In order to get a deal with Cable, I'd have to let Optimum run my telephone too and I'm not sure I want to do that.

I have Cable TV (with Optimum Online i.e. CABLEVISION) & I get more troubles from that company than from my dial-up modem (very few problems).

$10 per month to 1&1 for additional hosting

I have a deal with Verizon where I pay 10 cents a call but if I stay on the telephone line for 5 hours the telephone part of the deal will only be 10 cents. If I connect to a modem elsewhere the charges might vary depending on that person's telephone service.

The furniture in my bedroom is set up perfectly: I have an enviable desk (for my computer and "stuff") that I bought at a Danish furniture store (no longer in business near where I live) back in 1996. I first had it set up in my parents' house while I lived with them but I thought that I could make things happen "faster" if I moved into my own place (1998 -- and presently).

I wonder what type of equipment is needed with DSL? Cable?
    Would I have to re-arrange my furniture?
    Would I save money? -- There is usually a deal for the first 6 months and then the companies jack up the prices (I read the fine print).
    Is the switch from dial-up really worth it?
    Sometimes downloads are slow via dial-up, but actually I don't do extremely graphic intensive types of applications nor do I download mp3s or any type of music.

I use the Internet mainly for -- ummm -- lately I've been spending most of my time at ABW -- I'm into reading blogs, etc...
    I don't download many programs, my affiliate/publisher activities are a main interest.
    I don't watch videos online -- if I want to see a newscast, I'll turn on my television.

Every time I do the the math I think I am better off with the status quo.

You live in NY Vinny, and so do I -- I have some set-up questions that might necessitate a visit (to answer)
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 1st, 2006 at 10:56 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

My husband and I used to take turns blaming each other for outtages.

Scenario A
    Him: Were you messing with the TCPIP settings again? Why can't you leave them alone?

Me: Yeah babe, I come home early from the office just so I can jump onto your pc and mess with all your settings.

Scenario B

Me: Did you stop sharing your internet connection to play your stupid WOW game again?

Him: No, your laptop just sucks.

Solution

Each of us has our own, him DSL and Me Cable. Marriage is as strong as ever
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

The whole thing with dsl and me is I am way further than 3 miles from their repeater station. If you live anywhere beyond 1 mile the service takes a hit.

Rhia for what you are paying for dial up dsl is probably $1 or 2 more a month but like I said above you need to see how far from their "central office" before you sign up.

I am finding myself getting more work done without a tv in the computer room. My blood pressure is also back down too.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I have a good DSL connection at just under the 3 mile limit. For frustration my release is verbal. I just go around muttering in Vietnamese which I don't understand a word of. Numhai

I've wanted to throw my computer thru the window a few times - My kids talked me out of it though - good thing
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I got some expansion RAM about a week ago and am scared as heck to install it!

I know, it's just plug and go, but hardware is something I have had little luck with. Maybe this weekend, after I back up EVERYTHING on my external drive, I'll give it a shot.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I put ram in all the time. Simple thing to do just made sure there is no static electricity around. There is some great lessons on crucial.com website go take a look.

ABW Ambassador
    Got this from nyfalcon's webcam:
    videolink

You need to calm down man

http and a telephoto
    Anyone who has been around me when I am working can attest to the fact that I holler at my computer quite frequently, with not so kid friendly language. It is better now that I have computers that handle multitasking better, and since I have learned to split tasks between multiple computers, lol. I have been known to throw a mouse across a room, but have refrained from throwing things into monitors or from throwing laptops or cpu's.

When I spent a couple of weeks in New Jersey at a friend's house a couple of years ago (during "get ready for Q4 season - October) she had satellite internet, and not very good satellite. I wanted to throw HER computer out the window more than once...

In my recent move I had to verifiy I could get cable before I signed a lease, dsl and satellite both would make my ulcers bleed.... My tech issues at the moment are trying to find phone service... land line that is, haven't had one in 4 years anywhere and for some reason I am having extreme trouble getting set up.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Funny this should pop up today because this morning was the only time I've ever been so irritated at a computer I've hit it! Laptop keyboard became unclipped, but no more damage! Think it was spyware - was trying to organise a last minute arrangement and bam, everything packed up!

ABW Ambassador
    Throwing anything at the TV is no no for me, cost me a bunch plus football season is starting

Greenacres
    Yeah technology stinks sometimes but not having it is worse.

Please skip story if you are short of time - if not have think back to Greenacres and hopefully have a chuckle.

Hope this makes you feel a little better. When we moved down the coast from the big smoke ( Syndey ) to the Bega Valley 450 kms away. We naturally planned on getting a telephone installed on our property.

We both had mobiles ( cell phones ). However, we couldn't get reception from the national telco Telstra on our property. Being a relief teacher I needed a phone for work. So we rang to organise a phone ( and line ) to be installed.

In the meantime, every morning from 6 to 7.30 I drove my car 1 km (2.2miles ? ) to the top of our hill to wait for any calls (I could only get reception when I had the town in view). If I got showered and dressed ready - no calls, if I drove up in my pjs - bang a call - a quick dash down the hill to shower change and drive off to work.

We were told it would take six to eight weeks. Patiently we waited realising that being a rural property getting a line laid would take much longer than in the city. After two months and no contact from Teltra, I phoned up to ask what was happening. After much to -ing and fro-ing, the answer came back that the order had been cancelled.

I hit almost hit the roof. Eventually I received a phone call back saying the Bega exchange cancelled the order beause we actually area a " Tathra feed ". At no point were we ever told the order had been cancelled. We gave the telco our address ( our address is Bega even though we live 10 kms out of town ). Turns out that rather than follow the existing phone line up the ridge our phone line should come across the lagoon and river estuary from Tathra - who would have guessed?

Ok so we were rescheduled for a line to be put in. A month later another phone call - we can't find your property on the map, you must have a road number or property name. Yes, we have a property name but was reluctant to give it out because it is the same as the name of the road which turns off 1 km before our place and thus causes endless confusion.

We don't have a street number because we are not on a road or street, but down a private track which goes through national park and state forest.
    A month later we were at home and heard a car, mmm we thought, because literally we may only hear one or two cars a day, they seemed to be driving along the next ridge which bears the same name as our property. Right away , we deduced they may be looking for us, so my hubby jumped in the car to drive round and see if he could find anyone. Sure enough it was the "local" Telstra service van with our telephone. Only problem was there wsa no line installed yet.

No worries, they said another month and the line should be installed. One month later a phone call ( they never ever wrote a letter) and as I said the mobile doesn't pick up unless I am in town or just about there. This time it seemed they needed to send out a planning team from Canberra ( 300 kms away ) to assess the logistics of getting the phone across the river up the hill , across a neighbors property, through the rainforest gully up to the house site, rather than along the ridge line where the phone line ends at the neighbor before or turn off.

To cut along story shortish, the govt. had a guaranttee in place that no one would ever go without a phone connection longer than 6 months or a we would be the lucky recipients of a sizeable sum of money ( a couple of grand ). One week before cut off, a satelite phone arrived in the mail. This was ours to use at normal rates until the land line was on. I was reassured by the customer service person , who was in Brisbane, a couple of thousand kms away, that this would definitely work. Naturally enough , it still did not get reception unless I drove to the top of the hill.

Nearly a year later the installation crew arrived with 2 bull dozers and trench diggers and a weeks accomodation for the crew of 6 paid for in Tathra ( by the sea ,surprisingly they all said they had brought their fishing gear just in case).

My husband walked them through the property and showed where our boundary is and where our neighbor's property was (who had given permision for them to lay the line) and where the other neighbor, who is a rabid greenie, lives and under no circumstances could they go on that property ( there are no fences it is all rainforest).

So after a few days they were getting near the "touchy zone" hubby went down the creek just to keep an eye on them but, of course they had decided to take the easiest route through the no go zone which meant pushing down lots of trees to dig the tench.

Anyway we got the phone line connected to the boundary of the property ( we had to trench the line up to the house site) which took another month. Because we were building, the phone had to be put in a box on a pole - just like on Greenacres though not quite as high up.

After a week or two the phone started to ring every ten minutes or so. We were living in a small shed to the side of the house site so it meant a bit of a run to catch the calls. After ten or so missed call one day, I had had enough and decided to stay near the phone to see who it was and why they didn't just leave a message.

Sure enough, in a few minutes the phone rang again but the sound didn't come from the phone box but in the bushes in the gully a couple of metres away. It turned out to be a lyrebird. They can imitate just about any sound, very realistically, from cars to chainsaws to other birds.

The neighbor made such a fuss about the damage to his trees and illegal access by Telstra that they sent inspectors out and environmental consultants etc. A few months later another crew was sent down from Canberra to " groom" the area the trench had been put through. ( I would have been upset if it had been on my property I suppose ).

Anyway, what's DSL or broadband ? LOL.

We had a scheme where remote rural ares could get broadband by satelite but, you guessed it, being on the ocean side of the hill, and also not being able to pick up TV reception, this is not possible either. The satelite on offer was over in Western Australia and the angle of reception meant that we would nor be able to pick it up.

Another scheme is available, if you have a group of 4 neighbors within in site of each other a dish can be put up to transmit the signal to each home via a different satellite. Of course we can't see any neighors they all all on the other side of the next ridge.

So dial up it is, and only copper, which is very dodgy in storms and lightening strikes, which, being in a highly mineralised area, we have lots of.

So we can sit on the front verandah and see the town on the coast, or a short drive up the hill to see the "regional centre" town, but have less services available than if we lived in the Tanami Desert. And if the phantom phone calls ever stop it would be really, really peaceful.
    :Todd:

Talking Just read NYFalcons signture line
    Hah, should have read it first before posting.
    :Todd:

Javi that is very funny

Trust I have a 50 inch tv in the living room (paid for by adsnse btw) for football games.

ABW Ambassador
    Damn, but it sounds beautiful where you live, trying to get a visual. I have cable for TV and computer and in the 8 months I've been at my apartment, never had a problem with the cable TV and maybe 2-3 times had problems with connecting to the internet but only about an hour or so. Just got something to eat or relaxed and it was back on. Have a dialup ISP as a backup.

"Trust I have a 50 inch tv in the living room (paid for by adsnse btw) for football games."

You thru the chair thru the 50 inch? Or some other TV?

Bega that is some story I should be happy with the high speed I guess.

Please skip story if you are short of time - if not have think back to Greenacres and hopefully have a chuckle.

Well, after reading that story about life on Bega Valley, I think I would take my chances during the hurricane season down here. At least here, we can use a generator to get all the TV channels, even all the satellite channels, in order to kill some time until things get back to normal.

Bega - what a nightmare! No broadband is bad enough, but phones?! Shoulda got a satellite broadband + skype in/out in the meantime

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Javi
    Got this from nyfalcon's webcam:
    videolink

You need to calm down man
    LMAO!! OMG that's hilarious or very very sad depending on how you perceive the situation.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

>>>I wonder what type of equipment is needed with DSL? Cable?<<<

anything that is needed comes with the service. and since you're practically connected directly to the Internet in most cases, that includes the nasties that ride it and that want to get into your computer. some services will provide a router but want either 12 months commitment or about $99 plus shipping. (that's too much)

Once I had the setup information for my DSL connection I used the direct connection to get my ID and password. Then I hooked up a simple router ($10-$20) in between my computer and the DSL modem and gave the router the connection information.

Now, the router logs on to the DSL system (I never turn it off) and also provides the basis for a wired network of several computers around the house. The router also provides the [internal] IP numbers for the computers automatically.

And I think this is very important: the router is a physical firewall that lets stuff pass in only by invitation from a computer that is already inside the firewall on the home network. I can go into the router and see a log of the nasties by Ip number that wanted something on various ports and didn't get it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast