Integrate Amazon links into my database
    Hello,
    I am a new Amazon affiliate. There is so much info available, I'm not really sure where to start! I can program using VBScript and ASP, but not Perl or PHP (yet), so that's my starting point.

This is what I'd like to do: Users set up profiles on my site. They rate items based on whether or not they'd like to receive them as a gift, and maintain a profile describing themselves. This allows others to find someone like the person they're buying a gift for to see what type of gifts would be a good choice. I show my users' ratings and comments under each Amazon item on the site.

The Amazon items come from a list of gifts that I maintain in my DB by ASIN to associate the comments with the right item.

I can create this entire site on my own, but I'm wondering how to
    1) dynamically generate the right link to the item knowing only the ASIN (which I would store in my DB), and
    2) customize the link to display the image, average Amazon rating, new price, and "buy now" button.

Do I need some external software to do this, or is there something built into Amazon that's standard enough for me to plug in a few parameters and it builds the product display for the item I want to show?

Thanks!
    Paix120

Edit: By the way, the "Product Links" under "Build Links" are very similar to what I'm looking for, except I want to customize what's in it (like add the Amazon star rating to it)
    Last edited by paix120; September 2nd, 2006 at 03:09 AM.

Using the Amazon Web Services is fairly simply, and under normal circumstances you can link directly to a product, only knowing it's asin, however, you probably won't get lots of information on the product unless you are using the web services. Take a look at the following link:
    http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AW...Operation.html

This will tell you how to ask Amazon for product details. I've used webservices to build my site. It was actually alot of fun to make and pretty easy as well. Goodluck with your product.

PuReWebDev
    (edited out manual signature - signatures come with participation)
    Last edited by loxly; September 9th, 2006 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks for the link!

Outsourced Program Manager
    Check out this thread, it might help:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ht=amazon+link

Why are you going to switch from ASP to PHP if you already know ASP? Why not just do everything in ASP/ASP.NET? It is something you already know.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I used to program in ASP too... but Microsoft servers costs money, less stable, blah blah...

PHP is just real solid and very very good.

yes, I am planning to keep it in ASP - there aren't as many resources out there but I think once I get time I can figure it out.

Thanks for the link!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread