Click > Purchase delay with high value items?
    I've sent over 140 highly targeted visitors to four jewelry merchants (approx 20-40 for each one) and still haven't had a single sale.

They are well targeted as come from a specific search engine search and then click a specific product related to that search. With over 140 clicks, I am a bit worried as that'd equal a CR of less than 0.7%.

I can imagine if somebody's going to buy a fairly expensive jewelry item (tend to be between $100 - $1,000+) they may umm and err about it for a while, but in four days, no sales?

15 years and counting
    "20-40 clicks for each merchant, expensive jewelry item (tend to be between $100 - $1,000+) four days, no sales?"
    What do you expect?
    I'll be wondering if you had a sale with these figures.
    It takes more clicks for expensive items... time and credibiliy. Don't be too excited before 100 clicks for each merchant. I've seen sales at first clicks, you can be lucky, but don't expect it everyday.

No, I wouldn't expect it every day, was just wondering if I'm correct in assuming there would be a fairly long lag time with these high value items.

Thanks for your time

ABW Ambassador
    Jewelry usually takes a higher number of clicks to convert than most other type merchants out there. So 20 - 40 clicks per merchant is just way too soon, not enough traffic to make any kind of judgement. I would give it some more time.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    LOL I have sent 400 clicks to low value booksellers without a sale and 5 clicks to a high dollar Music Instrument Merchant and gotten a "nice" commission (provided it doesn't reverse) so it all averages out I guess.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Indeed - obviously you could get a thousand clicks and no sales although it's highly unlikely.

The thing I was really asking was mostly to high value affiliates /AM's if they notice a lag time when users purchase reasonably high value items.

BTW, I've had 100 clicks on nearly all merchants, so fingers crossed! Thanks for the response

For my cj jewelry merchants it takes an average of 10 days from the click to the sale. My rule of thumb for a campaign is 500 clicks before I give up on it. I probably won't spend .50 per click waiting for it to happen though!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hiya

Several things to consider

1. There is massive window shopping for Jewelry, people like to "just look and dream"

2. Conversion is slow, people look at multiple sites AND then check offline, very few high end jewelry sales are impulse, low end : costume and imitation items, yes.

3. On LinkShare especially Jewelry merchants report the sale when the item ships, not on the purchase date, very high end jewelry, especially diamonds can take a while to ship.

4. For high end jewelry the sale is worth the wait, getting that $4,000 wedding ring sale on a 6% commission covers an awful lot of ground

Hope this is helpful

cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Whatever happened to guilty or horney husbands who used to play sugar daddy with expensive jewelry gifts? I got hooked on displaying high priced unique jewelry items years ago when I sold a $24,500 Rolex watch at Christmastime. Overstock reversed the sale when the idiot buyer and customer service rep couldn't figure out how to change the date display from Italian to English.... sheeesh. Damn Bling-Bling pimps no longer shop EcomCity. Must have scared them off when I quit paying them Adwhore pimping fees.

Meanwhile Charlie says it's OK to send your expensive jewelry shoppers to EcomCity as I'm one of the few who display the good stuff ... cheap!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Great stuff here - thanks a lot to jdonisthorpe, Chris and ecomcity!

jdon, interesting about the average of 10 days. That was the question I was asking, and that's put my mind at rest somewhat I'd also agree with giving up after that number of clicks. Took me about 300... and I then realised I'm getting a good (for a new site) stream of organic traffic from Google anyway - much better!

Thanks for those important points Chris - the affiliate world is an interesting one!

Ecomcity: Heh, I've heard of many a story like that, better luck next pimp

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread