Making php pages search engine friendly
    My websites pages are very search engine unfriendly as they are filled with php jibberish (thats the only way I can put it without giving you the link). My question is, is there a way via. script to make them look like friendly html pages? I feel that ever since I changed over to this database driven site, I cannot get the search engines to recognize my site at all. Any suggestions? Is there someone I can hire to do this? Thanks all! Melanie

Do some searches for mod_rewrite
    It's a beautiful thing.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Thanks I will look into it. Is that something a programmer would do? I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by sewgifts
    My websites pages are very search engine unfriendly as they are filled with php jibberish (thats the only way I can put it without giving you the link). My question is, is there a way via. script to make them look like friendly html pages? I feel that ever since I changed over to this database driven site, I cannot get the search engines to recognize my site at all. Any suggestions? Is there someone I can hire to do this? Thanks all! Melanie
    Hi Melanie,

You can learn how to do that here on ABW, read the thread by Dirk Gardner

and you can also check out this forum: Mod_Rewrite Forums

Mod_Rewrite may look very difficult at the beginning, but once you experiment a bit, you will find that it's very easy to do.

Sal.

Sal,

Thank you for the link. I am wondering, seeing what I read and realizing the Mod-rewrite is a bit over my head... am I better off just reverting my site back to html and deal with the disorganization I had before I reverted to this organized but unfriendly to search engines site? Is Mod-rewrite the only way? Thanks, Melanie

http and a telephoto
    I have found the easiest way to deal with mod_rewrite is to let someone else write the appropriate code for me Once it's done it's great, but I can't for the life of me write the code myself and get it to work.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I was thinking the same thing myself. I agree with the writing thing. I have a problem just writing the text for my website, no less code :-) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sewgifts
    am I better off just reverting my site back to html and deal with the disorganization I had before I reverted to this organized but unfriendly to search engines site? Is Mod-rewrite the only way? Thanks, Melanie
    Definitely maintain the convenience of PHP and just contract out the mod_rewrite. It's ideal for your situation. The only thing is you'll need to change out all your links to match the new linking scheme. You don't want to link to any page using the .php extensions. Maybe your programmer can help you out with this.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread