Phone here just rang. I won't mention the company but a woman started in on me with what definitely sounded like a 1-in-5 scam. After I hug up I had to check it out just to make sure I was correct in telling her that NO, I wasn't interested in the PT Cruiser that one of my multiple personalities must have entered a contest for back in October 2001. I *was* correct.

Anyway - to the point - here is a great website for those of you who don't know about it - I've been consulting it for the past 2 years whenever one of my friends starts getting all excited about some new but fishy-sounding scheme.

It's a well-done page in that it's not a flame site, actually very enjoyable reading, some of the pitches are hysterical... and there are even a (very) few that were investigated that turned out to be OK. There are even some links to info on *true* MLMs.

World Wide Scam

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

ABW Ambassador
    Totally awesome! I love it, still can't stop laughing!!

Check out this part!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>HE'S REACHING FOR YOUR WALLET!
    HIDE THE MONEY, GRAB YOUR CHILDREN & RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Someone's Gonna Get Rich!

Do you think it will be you???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lololol

There was some absolutely hysterical stuff on there about SkyBiz - Skybiz was one of his pet projects LOL. I found this site when a friend - who really should have known better since he had a business degree - who had signed up for 3 Skybiz accounts and a Quixtar account .... then asked me to check it out to see if it was any good LOL. Skybiz seems to be in trouble everywhere now.

I have so many friends with Business Administration and Marketing degrees who have fallen for the scams on that site. I would think they'd know better.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah SkyBiz is a real giid one. I have a confession to make, I came a hair away from buying into that one!
    That would have looked pretty professional huh? lmao

I actually had two friends here in Pa sold on the idea as well! (Come on, we are all gonna be rich riCH RICH), We called the *live conference number* and everything! They sure did have a good pitch, and it really all made so much sense! (As long as the population of the free universe gets into your downline!)

lmaofocrof

typos typos typos

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: breeze ]

Breeze - I live in PA too ... I wonder if we are talking about the same people LOL!

This guy that bought it was sooooo proud of himself - he was a total internet newbie. He gave me the three URLs to his sites ... I looked at all three and said "where's the website ?" LOL!

ABW Ambassador
    Eaglefire...thanks for the laugh...that was great. What's funny is I remember getting spam from some of those people over the years.

I need to put a disclaimer in my sig about my stance on MLM. I speak about Cognigen because of their products and service, and I do not defend MLM as a whole, etc, etc. Since that other thread started, I have received some nasty e-mails about MLM's. One even compared me to Fred :eek: :eek:

Well, I've been around a looooong time and just am allergic to them. I realize there are some decent programs and that MLM has become synonymous (sp?) with Pyramid but they are in fact two different business models.

One thing I like about the WWWScam site is that they will check things out ... and if something that might *seem* scammy checks out OK they will say so.

Was a time when I thought Affiliate Marketing was a scam. Indeed there are some other Affiliates' resource and internet marketing sites that paint that picture with their get-rich-quick and Viral (virus) marketing and email schemes. I've said this before - I've been on the Net a long time and have been watching this business model since it's inception. It wasn't until I found ABW that I was convinced it was viable. I know I can believe the people here who say they are making money because no one here is trying to sell me their system on how to make a million bucks overnight.

ABW Ambassador
    Absolutely agree here...And you have to be careful (sheesh, if I bought into every offer that came my way). I was always the same with all MLM programs. It was something like 2-2 1/2 years ago when I went with cognigen. It wasn't until the first of this year I started any promotion of their products. That sitting on it time was to see how they did..their stocks went up and down, and up and down, but the doors always remained open. When I did start pushing them, it was only for a couple of services I was offering anyway but at a higher price. That is why I'll speak good of Cognigen but not another MLM.
    A guy I worked with at the station paid $500 dollars to join a program that sold similar products to Cognigen, but at higher rates. There are many of them out there, and you have to be careful.

But with Cognigen ... I'm still trying to see what differentiates Cognigen from a co-branded affiliate program.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Very Interesting. My day wasn't a total loss since I found a good bookmark.

LOL - yeah alot of times I go there just to get a good laugh at what people think they can get away with.

ABW Ambassador
    Eaglefire, same people? heh-heh, must have been! Cause they had me telling everyone that we could all 'retire' in the next 6 months. (Sounds just like the fellow you ran into huh?) It's great to look back on it now and snicker, since I didn't buy in nor did my friends. I'm just so glad they never ask me how that skybiz is doing.

(Of course now that I mentioned it they certainly will, lol)

So you didn't see the light in Aff Mktng until you found ABW huh?

Just how DID you find us anyway?

Oh by the way Tom, What kind of residuals are you seeing from Cognigen anyway?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Cause they had me telling everyone that we could all 'retire' in the next 6 months. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like the same people. They used to work for a tech company I was at. In fact they used the same line for every venture they got the company involved with ... that we're gonna IPO and retire in 6 months... they recruited me with that line. Only problem is, I was the *only* tech there - the rest were all MBA's (LOL). Well, they were sort of right as the company lasted about another 6 months after I'd gone to work there. Now the dotcomm is dead com dust and I haven't gone back to the conventional work force since (by choice) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

One of the fellows now makes his living placing gumball machines. He's the only one I kept in touch with. He let a "friend" of his sucker him into SkyBiz ... and he fell for Quixtar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just how DID you find us anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why - Google AdWords, of course!

oh - and you *know* the company you work for is going under when they ask you to go fix the landlord's computer problems in exchange for a break on the rent. :rolleyes:

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread