l@rger_th@n_life
    Using adwords for niche website.
    Hey guys,

I was thinking about using adwords for my first product afiliate site. I went to google adwords and checked the bid on the keywords. The bids seem to be high around $.40 - $.75.

When I searched those terms in google I found sponsored ads which were just affiliate links. It was just a one page site with a "search result" display saying these are the results for your keyword.

Now my question, Has anyone had success using google adwords? I am making about 7% comission on the products I sell and still have to work out if the adwords are any good. But just to test my website I will invest maybe $10 or so just to see how it works.

Am I going in the right direction by placing my website in google adwords?

Why are such stupid sites like "one page search results" allowed on google adwords? Now I am thinking about making websites like those and just placing them on google, but deep down inside I know that is unethical.

I would love to hear what you guys have to say.

Thank you for your time.

AdWords only works for some programs
    I've run Google AdWords campaigns to promote products for several different merchants, and I've had mixed results.

In one case, I had spectacular results for a small group of products that the merchant had identified, but when I expanded the campaign to other products, the results were horrible.

In another case, I've run hundreds of campaigns for products from a different merchant, and I've found the "sweet spot" for dozens of products, bidding from 4 to 11 cents per click, and consistently drawing 100% to 400% profit on my AdWords dollars. The key is to monitor and adjust campaigns, and abandon those with poor results. It's also important to accept some limits, since there are a limited number of searches for each keyword or phrase.

Testing can be expensive -- I've blown $50 to $100 on a number of failed efforts, and in April, I forgot I had a test campaign running and thus wasted $400 while I was away on my honeymoon.

It requires a level of micro-management that is "just too much" for most people (merchants and affiliates), but I've made many thousands of dollars from AdWords campaigns conducted as an affiliate.

Quite frankly, I don't ever chase bids beyond 20 cents per click, because I've never found a way to make a profit on those 40- and 50-cent bid words. Instead, when I hit that wall, I try to identify keywords and phrases that are still affordable, and often find some niche opportunities. In the end, though, the level of micro-management required is rarely justified by the return.

Another issue: if the merchant is running active AdWords campaigns, you need to have a clear strategy -- in most cases, the merchant will have much more focused data, and can almost always bid more efficiently. However, many (most) merchants aren't very sophisticated in their AdWords bidding, so there is often lots of room for successful campaigns.

l@rger_th@n_life
    Hey,

Yea i just worked out some math, and I think it is more profitable if I went for the .20 keywords but now my dilemma is Do i start a new niche website?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddysheikh
    . . . . now my dilemma is Do i start a new niche website?
    Sorry, I didn't answer that part. I assume you are asking, should you send traffic directly to the merchant, or to an intermediate web site you create? Normally, I send traffic directly to the merchant from AdWords, because the merchant usually has a good set of product pages that include appropriate cross-sell and up-sell information. In general, if the quality of the merchant's site makes me unwilling to send traffic directly to the merchant site, I simply don't work with the merchant.

Of course, some types of sites work well in that intermediate role -- for example, a price-comparison site, where you can link to multiple merchant for a single product, or a coupon site. For that to work, you'd need to have a well-implemented datafeed site working.

One note: Make sure you confirm with the merchant that PPC is OK and ask them to identify any restrictions or limits on PPC bidding. You don't want to start a whole campaign, and then have the merchant realize that they don't want you doing PPC-search as an affiliate.

Hey,

Yea i just worked out some math, and I think it is more profitable if I went for the .20 keywords but now my dilemma is Do i start a new niche website?
    cheap keywords are nice, but you may find google wanting to charge five or ten dollars per click if the landing page doesn't meet their standards.

other posts in this forum touch on that problem.

l@rger_th@n_life
    Hey,

Thanks for the response. Bare with me as I am still on a huge learning curve. From what I have understood you can actually put aff links on google adwords given the consent from the merchant. This is crazy, so you dont need to put up a website at all?

Then why would someone put an intermediate product page site. I think the intermediate website is there for the free traffic recieved from backlinks and SE.

Man I finally learned somethign after 2 years. I feel I am on the right path.

But don't people get mad when you just not have an intermediate site?

following the merchant's TOS is extremely important. and even then the merchant could get jealous of you ranking higher than him/her.

From what I have understood you can actually put aff links on google adwords given the consent from the merchant. This is crazy, so you dont need to put up a website at all?

Then why would someone put an intermediate product page site. I think the intermediate website is there for the free traffic recieved from backlinks and SE.

Yes, plenty of people directly link to the merchant site from their adwords ad. It's a somewhat common practice. However, with Google making their massive changes lately, I have no idea how long that'll be allowed.

Most merchants will let you know, one way or another, whether direct linking is allowed. When in doubt - simply ask.

As for being successful at PPC, there's only one way to find out..

In the arena of PPC there are multiple approaches that have potential for an affiliate busines model.As sun tzu said....."the supreme art of war is to win without fighting".

arrive to the battlefield first by being nimble and observing trends and market direction.

and even a minimal ROIT(return on invested time) will be worth replicating provided of course the ratio is optimal. 20$ a week isn't much at all....until you understand it only took a few minutes to achive it. Leveraging your time is imperative to achieving success with the data minefeild that is PPC.Once you get to a certain level, you can automate and outsource most of the data tasks.

Markwelch said it well, micromanagment is key and rest assured you'll be pouring over massive quantities of numbers if you are to make really good money in PPC. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Yes, plenty of people directly link to the merchant site from their adwords ad. It's a somewhat common practice. However, with Google making their massive changes lately, I have no idea how long that'll be allowed.

Most merchants will let you know, one way or another, whether direct linking is allowed. When in doubt - simply ask.

As for being successful at PPC, there's only one way to find out..
    I don't think direct linking is allowed anymore....

Hey guys,

I was thinking about using adwords for my first product afiliate site. I went to google adwords and checked the bid on the keywords. The bids seem to be high around $.40 - $.75.

When I searched those terms in google I found sponsored ads which were just affiliate links. It was just a one page site with a "search result" display saying these are the results for your keyword.

Am I going in the right direction by placing my website in google adwords?

Why are such stupid sites like "one page search results" allowed on google adwords? Now I am thinking about making websites like those and just placing them on google, but deep down inside I know that is unethical.

I would love to hear what you guys have to say.

Thank you for your time.
    Try also doing a search for keywords that are related to what you are trying to sell, but not specificially the keywords that everyone is bidding on. I think wordtracker is good for that....

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread