Thumbs up CJ Establishes Publisher Advisory Board
    I just read on Vinny Lingham's Revenews blog that CJ has established an advisory board and he is on it. I wonder who else made the A-list? Anyone here?

It's about time anyway.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Volunteer Akiva!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Gee, thought sure they would call me.

Hmmm, maybe they are looking for "Yes Men" instead of folks who are not afraid to say what is not working and how they should "beta test" before they implement, etc, etc.

The advisory board is only as good as it is deversified and how well everyone participates AND, most important, what CJ does with that information.

Obviously, CJ has realized they need imput from folks before they make changes. What I am afraid will happen in the future is that CJ will say they did something because their [hand picked] advisory board said it was the thing to do when it was not what most affiliates would do.

Time will tell, time will tell.

I just went back and checked my emails to see if maybe (fat chance I know) CJ had contacted me about this. Nope. Guess I'm not on their "A List". Yeah, yeah, I know what all of you are thinking....I'm probably on their "F List". But that is okay. My vocal pressence here with CJ was to help stop the implimentation of JS links as default and I think I did my small part in stopping that from happening.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I don't think they're looking for "Yes Men". They asked me to be on the advisory board, too. We'll see how much they listen. I suspect that they're pretty sensitive to affiliate input after the LMI debacle.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't think reading message boards was hard. I have a message board for one of my sites and most of the discussion is about a certain company. And everybody talks openly and honest about them. Free market research for the company. Just takes reading. All CJ or any network for that matter would have to do is read here and other forums/blogs/sites/whatever to get input on what people are thinking. But if this advisory board helps in any way, great. But the issues are already known.

15 years and counting
    That's just an other corporate strategy. Keep the idiot in charge of the cie and add an advisory board. Next mistake, they will blame it on the advisory board.

Michael,

I'm thrilled they asked some of us, epecially you. I know you won't throw any punches and will be straight forward with them with no outside agenda. Although TrustNo1 makes a very obvious point (CJ should just read the posts), I'm glad you are doing this, Michael. Hey, aren't you on the LinkShare advisory board also?
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I don't think they're looking for "Yes Men". They asked me to be on the advisory board, too. We'll see how much they listen. I suspect that they're pretty sensitive to affiliate input after the LMI debacle.
    I'm glad that you will be representing us on their board!

that's a step in the right direction

ABW Ambassador
    why create an advisory board? they can come here at ABW anytime. and advice can be given freely not just by a few. this way, the playing field is even for everyone. cj can do polls, why not?

Cool
    why not?

they'd probably get shouted down before they sent their second post.

ABW Ambassador
    if cj is not looking for yes-persons, then they have to face different points of view.

the big blunder, as they have always done before, is to take the advice of a few (if they even exist) and slam them down our throat.

how about a cj version of Google Lab?

Regardless of CJ's history and the way they have done things, I think the advisory board is a step in the right direction. Right now it is just an action, a thought, a process. What we need to do is watch what comes of it. Other companies have advisory boards or so called focus groups. I think and hope this one will be different than some of those and be a productive tool.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    do you think this board can convince cj to make the reversals more visible?
    i don't think so.

but i'd be happy nonetheless if i'm proven wrong.

Internet Cowboy
    They won't listen.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Meh!

CJ's always run the very general idea behind their changes past some affs for opinions.

A few years ago, someone at CJ (forgot who, I'm terrible at remembering names) asked my opinion on some "up"grade or other.
    What they explained as the general idea of what they were trying to do, seemed fine enough. And the screens they showed seemed okay, although my general opinion on upgrades of all sorts is "DON'T mess with it!" But they're compelled to mess with things, and what they showed seemed acceptable.

What they came out with had quite a few negatives that I didn't realize were there at the time. And, people here complained about aspects that I didn't even ask about, because they use the Acc't Mgr differently than I do and so saw some glitchery that I had missed. Things I couldn't have cared less about were quite important to some others.
    Also they had what could be called "programmer's glee" (an irrational euphoria stemming from the idea that aspects were "super-cool" when in reality they were pretty unimportant) going on, and when that's going on, it causes deafness to the resounding "mehs" (or worse) coming from the other side of the screen.

So I conclude that:
    Yeah it was very flattering to have Some Big Company ask my opinion!!
    But
    They don't give out enough specifics to get an informed opinion, and they were too quick to assume that one person's way of navigating the site is the majority way.
    And
    They had already convinced themselves that it would be a Super Cool Upgrade, to the point that anything short of a nuke threat wouldn't have changed their minds. Polite unenthusiasm equaled "Yes! Cool!" as far as they were concerned.

Putting a fancy "advisory board" name on what they've always done is just spin. Unless they give the "board" full info, and the chance at an UNguided tour through any "up"grades, it won't be worth the pixels it's printed on.

And even if they do, if the "board" says some "up"grade or other change sucks, they'll still have to be willing to trash all those billed hours' worth of coding! This last part is something I have doubts on them being able to bring themselves to do.

Edit: In short, what UncleScooter said.
    Last edited by Leader; September 7th, 2006 at 12:31 AM.

Affiliate Manager Heidi Sturrock's Avatar
    I like the idea of an advisory board. I hope it is staffed with a well rounded group of experienced folks, who are really motivated to keep active. If not, I really see this thing being something that just "looked nice on paper."

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread