Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate marking is dead
    Long time lurker, long time affiliate marketer.

Lets just say I was making a fair amount from, Google Adsense over $2000 a month for over a year. Affiliate programs I was a top 5 producer for 4 programs (All represented here) which brought in a fair amount of cash.

Ok now we got my background out of the way, my beef is:

1) Adsense has dropped to $200 and under a month with same impressions, clicks. Why? Did Google scam us?
    2) Affiliate programs, God not even enough to keep me in beer money. Granted my clicks are way down, but now my conversion ratio is now under 1% which at one time was over 21% what changed? (has every new computer now got a cookie over writing script built in?)

Just throwing out these questions, because I might have to go back to work!

Oh before I forget: New Guy's forget it. If you don't want to spend money too make money then affiliate marketing is not for you. No matter what the Chris's and Andies might tell you.

rorbite, welcome to ABW! Good to have another affiliate coming out of the "lurkedom"

Quote Originally Posted by rorbite
    If you don't want to spend money too make money then affiliate marketing is not for you.
    Isn't this the Rule #1 for any business?

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Another affiliate marketing is dead thread. Who would have ever thought this could happen.

15 years and counting
    Something missing. When did you start as an affiliate marketer?
    Just reading your post it seems it was not so long ago. You can't win all the time with Affiliate marketing. Rules are changing all the time. Either adapt your strategy or dissapear. AdSense is not really Affiliate Marketing, it's just advertising.
    Welcome to the real world. Affiliate marketing is not dead.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Another affiliate marketing is dead thread. Who would have ever thought this could happen.
    Yes it may be. TrustNo1 you seem to have weathered the storm nicely. Why is it you never have a serious down turn.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    if you have a time line, that would better give us a better idea to help you or suggest things.

I would definately say that competition is definately up and Aff marketing is not dead. If it is dead, 98% of posters and I will be out of a job. The other 2% are spammers

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    No matter what the Chris's and Andies might tell you.
    I never promise a pie in the sky scenario....in fact, I always say the "elevator to success is out of order, you need to take the stairs"....

Affiliate marketing is not dead, far from it .... there is a large nd ever changing learning curve and as zeus said, if you dont adapt, this is not for you. This is a very dynamic industry and it's not for everyone.

IBSDirect and a happy affiliate know it's not dead ...

09/01/2006 11:26.04 AM is the time of transaction.
    Eastern Standard Time (USA)
    DO NOT REPLY to this message, as the subject will be
    filtered out and you will not receive a response. If you need help,send a new message to shareasale@shareasale.com
    The affiliate who referred this transaction number 13490830 :
    Affiliate ID: *****2 - *******
    Affiliates Main Website: www.***********.com
    The sale amount for this transaction: 2999
    Tracking Number for this transaction: 100638
    This person made $300 bucks in one sale.... I have tons of other examples as well. Is it easy? Of course not. If it was everyone would be doing it.

Can it be done and do we have people making an incredible amount of money - absolutley.

Affiliate marketing is alive and well.....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    'Yes it may be. TrustNo1 you seem to have weathered the storm nicely. Why is it you never have a serious down turn."

Down turns happen from time to time. I took a hit with what Google did with Adwords recently so I concentrated on the 20% that they didn't touch and moved some of my PPC spend elsewhere. So that hurt a little but that wasn't the only way I was getting traffic. So you adapt the best you can. It's tougher nowadays and I realize it can get frustrating from time to time but affiliate marketing isn't dead, dying or ever going away. Some affiliates do tho. That's just business, whether it's offline or online.

Affiliate marking is dead
    My stats say otherwise.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    My stats don't, but I'm a slow learner. Affiliate marketing for me is very alive, I just have a lot of catching up to do.

Affiliate Marketing, along with the rest of the internet has evolved. it's a survival of the fittest case. one needs to adjust with things, evolve oneself to the level of evolution .
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

ABW Ambassador
    I think that the easy money might be dead.

When I started in AM, I had an established site with a pagerank 5 and the money flew in, all I had to do was attractively arrange products and their descriptions on the page. Now, wow, I work really hard on original content, the blend of pages with affiliate marketing and without, a creative link structure within individual sites to bring in search engines. I also use adsense, which for me has increased every month.

I am using every ounce of my brain to figure out this ever changing industry. It is actually alot of fun and I'm starting to see my earnings increase every month.

Lily

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Pretty much everyone who preceded me in this thread has said something that applies to my own situation. Like Buddha, I'm a slow learner. Like Aunt Lily I'm trying to figure out ways to diversify. I never expected to get rich in this business but I've replaced the income I would have made at a regular job. That's okay with me.

Most importantly perhaps, I don't pay for traffic. Never have and hope I never will.

If you can't make AM work for you it's only because you haven't yet figured out what you can do with it. There are a lot of legitimate ways to make a living in this field. It is not easy money. If that's what you want then you're in the wrong business.

I think it is just time for the new breed ... ya must change with the times/flow.
    Opporunities still exist for each day a new person or a thousand comes on line.
    Every day retired folks with money take the leap and jump in ... tomorrow they decide to buy.
    Every day folks on dial up struggling to just check email hit higher speeds and do more - such as shop.
    Every day kids become adults on their own ... and buy online for that is what they know.
    The 'net is still in its infancy to thousands each and every day. To say that marketing is done ...... serves the diehards well. Quit, Stop It .... we will gladly take it from here

ABW Ambassador
    Rhea, it's always good to hear your thoughts. I don't pay for traffic either (although I may consider it next).

Congratulations on replacing job income. That's quite a success, even if you're not rich.

Where is Leader? I always enjoy it when "the staunch capitalist" comments on these threads. She usually give me a needed shot in the arm.

Lily

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    shizzle, then what's all that stuff accumulating in my bank account...

Oh before I forget: New Guy's forget it. If you don't want to spend money too make money then affiliate marketing is not for you. No matter what the Chris's and Andies might tell you.
    Hehehee... bad day, chicken little thing or are you just not up for a little competition?

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.
    ~Henry Ford.

Tax Paying Member
    It can't be dead yet...............I deposited one check last friday and got an e-mail today saying that another check is on the way.

It took a year to get the first money................patience......persistance....continual tweaking of sites and products.

Please don't tell me that it is dead before I hit the big time.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

http and a telephoto
    Oh before I forget: New Guy's forget it. If you don't want to spend money too make money then affiliate marketing is not for you.
    Perhaps this is the crux, someone is trying to scare the competition away. The "new guys" might have the innovative new idea that makes everyone able to make more money, who knows.

And you can get into affiliate marketing on a shoestring, but like any business, to grow it you probably have to invest in software, some ppc, traffic in some form whether it is ppc, paying for banner ads, spending time getting backlinks in directories (takes either time or money and sometimes both!).

I don't expect affiliate marketing as a profession to go away, I *do* however expect it to change and grow. Look at the past few years already. I hate looking at sites I made even a few years ago!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Well I already posted a thread that shows that even the NEW GUY can make it. (Ok so I haven't got enough to quit my day job ... Well actually 28 dollars a month is more than my volunteer job pays LOL) But I will keep making more money I understand POTENTIAL Energy (I was in Nuclear Power in the late 80's and early 90's) and I understand Fishing in uncharted waters and needing to adjust my course midway through (sold lobsters after that) I will keep learning from all these folks here at ABW and at other places, and not be scared away by the lurkers.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    You are absolutely right, affiliate marketing is dead, don't work at all anymore!!!!
    While you keep thinking that, I'll just quietly keep making sites, cashing my checks and heading toward complete retirement in 5 years..

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    If you don't want to spend money too make money then affiliate marketing is not for you. No matter what the Chris's and Andies might tell you.
    I've never spent a dime on traffic and my business has been thriving, although I, too, have seen Adsense income drop from what it was in the beginning. AM is not dead here. Try different merchants, a differnt angle, replace Goog Adsense with YPN.

Not nice to discourage noobs, rorbite, although it might keep some of the competition at bay.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate marking is dead?

I did not get the memo!

Darn, here I'm having the best period ever and I had no clue affiliate marketing is dead. Thought it was in a coma a few months ago, but no one had told me it passed on.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Hmmm. Interesting post and definitely not true from what I can see in the sales reports for the programs I manage. If you were doing AdSense abitrage bidding then your drop in sales is unsurprising and in my opinion a very good thing.

I know many AMWSO programs that are doing very well right now (plus many others not managed by us too). Panda Software over the last year and a bit for example has increased sales 1000%. Over the last four months the conversion rate across all earners has increased from 0.83% to 1.22%.

There is no doubt that the business is evolving fast and the "Red Quenn Hypothesis" is very much in action i.e. "To stand still you have to run as fast as you can...If you want to get anywhere you have to run even faster..."

I'm afraid 4 affiliate programs doesn't represent the entire industry, and it may be time to revisit your business plan (if you have one).

One more thing...It helps to spend money to market your business but there are many that don't. Some content publishers make a ton of cash. The key thing is diversification across many sites so that if one or a handful of sites drop out of the search engines you still have something left. Plus AdSense now has big competition now with Yahoo, Microsoft et al. My money is on Microsoft eventually kneecapping Google, but that's another conversation for another thread.
    Last edited by James - AMWSO; September 5th, 2006 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Can't spell...Coffee not working...
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Internet Cowboy
    Damn! And I thought I was making a living!!! Boy was I wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I've never spent a dime on traffic and my business has been thriving, although I, too, have seen Adsense income drop from what it was in the beginning. AM is not dead here. Try different merchants, a differnt angle, replace Goog Adsense with YPN.

Not nice to discourage noobs, rorbite, although it might keep some of the competition at bay.
    I always thought that affiliate marketing meant putting the product links on my webpages in an effort to sell the product[s] -- forgive me for my wacky ideas

Although I admit that Google has been King for quite a while and most likely will always be a strong contender, I still remember the days when Alta Vista was #1.

What if I had spent money on advertising/click campaigns with Alta Vista?

I don't like the fact that Google isn't always straight forward.

While it is always nice to gain traffic, my traffic is fairly constant and I like to rely on organic [i.e. free] methods of obtaining site traffic.

I have no desire to pay Google or any other Search Engine for traffic while I can get it the organic way.
    As for the Adsense revenue decline? I'll try to play that one safe with this gem of advice: Please pick out a different ABW member if you would like to rhapsodize on the glories of Adsense

I spent money on a nice computer, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop: to me those purchases were significant expenses but I could not create websites without them so the money spent was worth it to me.
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 6th, 2006 at 12:04 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Where is Leader?
    Weirdly, I was asleep! My sleep schedule is all screwy, because tomorrow I get to pick up my bulbs. Which means I have to be up when they're open! Since I can't just switch by 12 hours at the drop of a hat, I'm at a halfway point. Darn that brick-n-mortar practice of closing at night!!! But, it'd cost over $100 to have them shipped over, so... (Plus I have more anticipation than Heinz could hope to imagine, so it's not like sleeping normally would happen anyway )

As for affiliate marketing being "dead:" It's not dead. If one thing doesn't work, try another.

If the problem is traffic, use PPC to go around the mountain.

If you have decent traffic but it isn't converting, improve your sales spin/presentation. Also make sure that the fundamentals are there (people want the product, the merchant isn't doing anything anticonversionary, the market for the particular items isn't saturated to death, etc...).

Make it obvious that you're PUSHING THINGS! People with info-content sites often miss this simple point and soft-pedal their affiliations, and then wonder why their traffic doesn't, by osmosis, realize they can actually buy through the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxly
    Look at the past few years already. I hate looking at sites I made even a few years ago!
    I like whichever sites are making me money. Although I don't go and gaze upon my old sites much, I wouldn't change 'em for all the tea in China. I dusted off a 5-year old page, and putting the PPC to it was like firing up a money machine. It may not be too aesthetic, but it's drop-dead beautiful in the eyes of the only critic that counts: The Commission Payment!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast