ABW Ambassador
    I've run afoul of the censors over at Search Engine Forums because (in response to a relevant question) I had the nerve to post the URL to an article I had written about the topic.

I posted the URL of the article on my own site - they took that out without really saying why. Then I posted the URL where another site had reprinted the article. They took that out too, put in a link to the Ad Rates at JimWorld, and made a snide comment about people not being able to resist trying to put ads in some threads.

The links I posted were NOT intended as ads. I'd love to have a bit of support there if anyone was in the mood to bait a censor. The thread is called Linking Primer and the article I wanted to share can be found at http://virtuallyignorant.com/linkexchanging.htm

Or, if I was in fact out of line somehow in a way that I don't recognize, or if there is something in the content of the article that the censors were indeed right to inhibit, I'd like to hear about that too (but try to be gentle, please!).

Elisabeth Archambault

Elisabeth

Sorry but I've got to stay away. There is no way in H*ll I'd be nice over there for that.

ABW Ambassador
    The url for anyone interested is here.
    The link that she posted is no better than your site.
    If you really want them to see you article, just copy & paste the entire thing there.
    That whole ad rate card thing was uncalled for.
    IMO, I'd find a new forum.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm prepared to do that (cut and paste the article) if they are willing let let it stand or fall on its merits, without getting scissor-happy. But without that commitment there's little point.

It makes me appreciate ABW more than ever.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: buckworks.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    Elisabeth, I'd love to support you, but I long ago vowed to NEVER post there (or any of the affiliated forums) again. I've maintained that vow for about seven months... I'm shooting for eternity.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sorry, but their prissy attitude over there makes me too sick to post.

They really go overboard with the moderating over there.

ABW Ambassador
    Tsk, tsk, what are you folks doing up at this insane hour? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I was going to explain why I don't post over there, but it looks like you guys have that part covered [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Elisabeth, I went through something similar at another board I read over occasionally. Somebody had asked a question about using FTP and uses of different FTP programs. I referred them to the FTP resources section of our site. I didn't see it as an advertisement, but the moderator did. It is probably one of the first time I sent off a nasty letter to a moderator. What really gets under my skin is some people at this other forum are allowed to post links to their sites (although the rules say you can't, not even a signature). Doesn't seem like the 'rule' is enforced member wide.

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    BTW Elisabeth, the link she posted is on the same servers as the forums...isn't it still advertising even if its for a friend.

ABW Ambassador
    I asked how an ad was defined but the question has not been answered. I'll be surprised it if is.

I do concede the need for censorship sometimes, but there is little legitimacy to censorship which is applied in a nepotistic, haphazard fashion.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Tsk, tsk, what are you folks doing up at this insane hour?"

This (10:19 AM) is an insane hour...I really should go to bed!

Elizabeth,

They get very freakish with their "power" over there, they think they are deities.
    The rate card was seriously uncalled for and says many things about how they handle their users.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    It has been an interesting and revealing thread over there. I hope I've managed to keep my sarcasm within reasonable bounds, but I'm not the best judge of that!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread