Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Thumbs up New AvantLink Merchant: BabyUniverse.com

Hello Everyone,

We are very pleased to announce the addition of BabyUniverse to AvantLink! Over the past eight years, BabyUniverse has emerged as a leading online retailer of baby and toddler bedding, furniture, cribs and strollers. They are committed to offering a wide assortment of products (largest selection of baby products online) at competitive prices with friendly, knowledgeable customer service.

If you have a site in this niche, promoting this program is a no brainer. Based in Jupiter, Florida, BabyUniverse ships products from warehouses throughout the US. They currently have relationships with over 400 manufacturers, offering your site visitors an array of quality baby gifts and needed products.

Couple this established and respected program with AvantLink's powerful tools and there's a great opportunity at hand! If you're already an AvantLink Affiliate, you can sign-up for this program by following these simple steps:

• Login to your Affiliate account at www.AvantLink.com
    • Select 'Merchants' from the main menu
    • Locate 'BabyUniverse.com' in the merchant list
    • Click to their detail page and then 'Apply to this Program'

If you're interested in applying to the AvantLink network and this program, please use the following URL: https://www.avantlink.com/affiliate_app.php

Let us know what we can do to help you get started promoting BabyUniverse. Feel free to contact anyone at AvantLink or the BabyUniverse AM Darin Carter, affiliates[at]babyuniverse.com.

Sincerely,

Gary Marcoccia

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    How come the order referenced below wasn't tracked?

This order originated without a referral source and so BeFree wasn't provided any information on this order.

How is it possible the click-thru registered but not the sale?

Doesn't that mean there WAS a referral source.

Where is the problem? Is "no referral source" a problem on your end or BeFree's?

A referral source is picked up from the url and then cookied to the user for 30 days. If there is a click through then I would suspect that the customer visited BabyUniverse without a referral source and was cookied within 30 days prior to this click through/purchase.

Isn't the LAST click the one that's supposed to be credited?

A referral source is picked up from the url and then cookied to the user for 30 days. If there is a click through then I would suspect that the customer visited BabyUniverse without a referral source and was cookied within 30 days prior to this click through/purchase.

Same question: Does the LAST affiliate cookie get the credit

The cookie does not get overwritten, so no.

I posted your response on several affiliate boards to see if any other affiliate has heard on giving credit to an affiliate other than the last affiliate - so far none have.

I also was contacted by the VP at ComissionJunction (see below) who asked us to find out your reasononing for this - so I'm asking.

Also, can you give us the url either on your site or BeFree where it mentions that it is not the last click that gets credit.

I apologize for not answering sooner. I have contacted Todd Crawford and my
    sales representative at CJ regarding this. I am attempting to get their
    formal policy on this.
    Actually, the straight-forward question was what is BabyUniverse's reasoning for paying someone other than the affiliate that sent the customer to them a commission.

Your lack of an ANY answer speaks volumes about how you treat your partners.

We did not use cookies prior to our affiliate program. We instituted this for the purpose of tracking affiliate orders. We offer affiliates a 30 day return policy on visitors that originate through their site to BabyUniverse and so a 30 day expiration of the cookie was set. We do not overwrite this cookie prior to 30 days for any advertiser as we made a commitment to our affiliates.

I have contacted 3 people at CJ to see if there is a formal policy for all merchants and affiliates to abide. If there is not a formal policy, but just a practice, I would like to confirm that this does not conflict with the return policies that merchants establish.

--------------------------

BabyUniverse never answered my simple question - and of course, never paid me on a sale originating from my website.

That's MY experience with this company Gary.

In case you missed it, if someone visits BabyUniverse within 30 days PRIOR to clicking on your link and making a purchase from your link, they keep the commissions for themselves, as the cookie their own website set won't be overwritten by your own affiliate cookie.

You should search ABW to see the other affiliates they go out of their way not to pay

Hey Billy, read this twice just now and I am a little confused still. Off to bed now but wanted to let you know i saw it..

It was just an FYI post - so you'll know what you're getting into

ABW Ambassador
    "Same question: Does the LAST affiliate cookie get the credit

The cookie does not get overwritten, so no."

Not how it's supposed to work.

Billy,

OK read it through again. What you posted is more clear after sleep and coffee.

I talked it over with the guys and to confirm, with our network now, the last BabyUniverse click through/referral source is setting the cookie.

If you see otherwise, let us know and we will resolve the issue.

GBM

Dear Billy and TrustNo1,

I am Darin and I am the Current Affiliate Manager here at BabyUniverse.Com - I'm not sure when you had these issues however I have been in this position for the past 3 months now and I have since corrected this issue. I believe that what you said was correct in the past however since I have been here ... You cookie stays on a Computer for 30 days if the customer has not visited any other affiliate link or come directly to the babyuniverse site. If the customer does visit another affiliate site the cookie overwrites.

So If an affiliate sends a Customer to BabyUniverse it places that affiliate cookie and that stays for 30 days .... so if the customer comes back to BabyUniverse "Directly" the affiliate will get credit for up to 30 days!

If that Customer Clicks on our link from "another affiliate" the Cookie is then over written and places the new affiliate cookie on the customers session and it stays for 30 days.

The BabyUniverse Internal Cookie is always overwritten so if sales comes from any other source than our home page we can give the correct source credit. We do not keep commissions for ourselves.

All of this has changed in the past 3 months since I have been here and I am working very hard to get our Affiliate Program all the tools, resources and assistance needed to promote a successfull program.

If you do have any questions you can either pm myself here in the forums or you can e-mail me at affiliates (at) babyuniverse.com

Thank You

Darin Carter
    Affiliate Manager
    BabyUniverse, Inc.

time to pull the program. Oh well

Curious about why you say that ski? Sounds to me like Darin is dialing things in...

Two reasons:

I have seen at least three large orders not get credited thru bfast, and have never had them resolved. In each case I could show the clickthru from our site, and then to Baby Universe on the date of the order. No response from Baby Universe.

Currently we work with LS, CJ, PF. We are not set up with Avantlink. Right now, we are just keeping up with all the current merchants moving off bfast to CJ, LS and PF. And now getting ready for Q4. Not the right time to get set up with a new network.

Thanks for your quick response (both gary and darin)

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin-BabyUniverse
    You cookie stays on a Computer for 30 days if the customer has not visited any other affiliate link or come directly to the babyuniverse site.
    I think I understand what you're saying (and like it), but the part above that I've bolded doesn't make sense to me. Can you clarify please?

Ski, Ok thanks for follow-up. I know your systems are in place for the big season already!

Hopefully you'll give BU another try after this Q4, so far they're converting at 8.75% in AvantLink.

Gary M

Darin,

I'm fine with the "Who gets credit for the sale" response

I'm fine with there's finally a responsive, pro-active AM at BabyU

I have 2 more questions - and this is where you'll probably loose me - but they're honest questions:

1. In the opening "Join Our program" spiel above, you mentioned everything except commissions. My guess is because you know yours are below other baby merchants. Any plans to make your commission compatible with the rest of the baby industry?

2. I have Personalized Baby Gifts sites - you offer personalized baby gifts. PBG merchants START at 15% commisions (I get between 24 and 35%). If I put your 8% commission products on my site, I'd wake up every day hoping people DON'T click on your links

Can you consider different commission rates for different types of products on your site?

Billy,

Currently our Base commission is 8% and we do have affiliates that are running at a higher rate. My job is to find the affiliates that are actually putting the time into promoting our products and awarding those affiliates on an individual basis. So with that said - I am open to changing commissions on a Per Affiliate Basis. Our site works different than other sites. We have over "30,000" Products on-line for a Customer to choose from. Alot of our Big Sellers are Strollers and pricing is from $150 up to $1000 for a "Bugagoo" for example. Britax Car Seats are another big seller from $99 to $400 for a "Car Seat"! I have affiliates currently producing over $50,000 a month in Commissions just selling our top items and they are at a 10% commission level. So if you do the math you can see the average order size!

Most Customers once in the BabyUniverse site just won't stop shopping with one product they will see several things they need and just end up buying them all at once ... and we are actually moving our Shopping Platform to make it much easier for the Customer to find what they want before the end of the Year!

I am very proactive with my affiliates to help them get "Coupon Codes" ... Promo Info ... and Information before we go live with them ... so they can update their sites and get ready to capatilize on the Situation.

Hopefully this answered your question.

If you have any others please do not hessitate to ask !

Thanks

Darin Carter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darin-BabyUniverse
    You cookie stays on a Computer for 30 days if the customer has not visited any other affiliate link or come directly to the babyuniverse site.

I think I understand what you're saying (and like it), but the part above that I've bolded doesn't make sense to me. Can you clarify please?

If a customer comes from an affiliates link to the babyuniverse site and does not buy anything ... however 2 days later they type in BabyUniverse.Com directly and buys ... the Affiliate will get credit for that sale up to 30 days!

and we are actually moving our Shopping Platform to make it much easier for the Customer to find what they want before the end of the Year!
    Doing it very soon or after Christmas I hope.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

hopefully early Q4

A history of not paying...

Lowest commissions around....

and now (my favorite)

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Affiliate Question
    Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:55:56 -0700
    To: affiliates-at-babyuniverse-dot-com
    CC: gmarcoccia-at-avantlink-dot-com

Hi Darin,

Per your ABW post, here's where I want to place your personalized baby
    products:

[deleted the content of my email]
    an AM who doesn't answer emails.

I can't think of any reason to promote them.

Gary, Darin:
    When will the program be pulled of bfast?

Billy:
    A history of not paying...
    Just a reminder we pay Affiliates on time what they're owed regardless of whether or not the merchant network payment is past due.

skishore2006, I'll drop a line to Darin and ask him to check out this thread.. to see if he has an answer on that.

Gary M

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Hi:

I just ran the feed and notice it's only apparel? Any reason it's not the full feed?

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Gary you seen this?

I do now.. I'll see what I can find out in the mornin' -Gary M

hmm
    Hey Jack,

Could you take a closer look at your feed subscription and be sure you didn't select to only include apparel? Or maybe try to setup a new subscription for BabyUniverse?? Not sure why you saw only apparel..

We just went in and configured a new feed subscription for BU and everything appeared to be there.

Feel free to email me to let me know how you make out.

Gary M

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast