l@rger_th@n_life
    Back Links
    Hello,

I wanted to know how affiliate sites get backlink. I am worried that other sites will not link to me because I will just send them somewhere else. Do people actually link back? I know if I had a store I would not link to an affiliate site.

Any ideas?

Provide a useful resource
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddysheikh
    I wanted to know how affiliate sites get backlink. I am worried that other sites will not link to me because I will just send them somewhere else. Do people actually link back? I know if I had a store I would not link to an affiliate site.
    Who would you link to? You've said you wouldn't link to an affiliate site, but nearly all sites on the internet participate in affiliate programs or carry advertising -- I think what you mean is that you wouldn't link to a site that merely carries affiliate links, with no original, useful content. You mention "store" sites, but I'm not sure that having merchants link to you is going to be very helpful to you OR the merchant OR any visitors, unless your site is relevant to the store's visitors.

You get meaningful inbound links by providing useful, relevant, appropriate CONTENT that people find worthwhile. A good strategy then is to create your own links page, listing other useful, relevant, appropriate CONTENT sites, and email the webmasters of those sites to let them know that you've linked to them, and inviting (but not demanding or requiring) a return link.

In my opinion, there is no real value to "arranging backlinks" by participating in "reciprocal link exchange" or other artificial strategies that do not provide useful, relevant, appropriate links. Some folks disagree, and claim that a variety of "artificial" strategies work wonderfully to build PageRank.

Hi,

If you are interested in back links check out here http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=77576

I have a new service coming out that will help you set up backlinks

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Who would you link to? You've said you wouldn't link to an affiliate site, but nearly all sites on the internet participate in affiliate programs or carry advertising -- I think what you mean is that you wouldn't link to a site that merely carries affiliate links, with no original, useful content. You mention "store" sites, but I'm not sure that having merchants link to you is going to be very helpful to you OR the merchant OR any visitors, unless your site is relevant to the store's visitors.

You get meaningful inbound links by providing useful, relevant, appropriate CONTENT that people find worthwhile. A good strategy then is to create your own links page, listing other useful, relevant, appropriate CONTENT sites, and email the webmasters of those sites to let them know that you've linked to them, and inviting (but not demanding or requiring) a return link.

In my opinion, there is no real value to "arranging backlinks" by participating in "reciprocal link exchange" or other artificial strategies that do not provide useful, relevant, appropriate links. Some folks disagree, and claim that a variety of "artificial" strategies work wonderfully to build PageRank.

Yes and most of the time, those strategies are black and grey hat. The search engines are much happier when people follow the process you've just outlined...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The search engines are much happier when people follow the process you've just outlined...
    Too bad the customers aren't.

Eeugghh...

PRODUCTS *ARE* USEFUL and/or fun! That's why people buy them!
    And sites that let people know where to buy them, WITHOUT making them wade through a bunch of BS, are also useful!

Shopping mall sites (not link farms) are NOT in any way whatsoever inferior places for customers to go to.

A strategy revolving around all that c*ntent is a great way for most people to make $0. And if you don't link to SALES sites, doing all that c*ntent bull manure isn't going to get your real pages ranking any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Too bad the customers aren't.

PRODUCTS *ARE* USEFUL and/or fun! That's why people buy them!
    And sites that let people know where to buy them, WITHOUT making them wade through a bunch of BS, are also useful!

A strategy revolving around all that c*ntent is a great way for most people to make $0. And if you don't link to SALES sites, doing all that c*ntent bull manure isn't going to get your real pages ranking any better.
    That's the magical balance you have to find... making both the visitors AND the SE's happy.

If I click on a site that just has a bunch of links to this store and that, I click off FAST. Boring!

I agree, tell me why this product is useful, how it will benefit me, and how to get it.

If I click on a site that just has a bunch of links to this store and that, I click off FAST. Boring!

I agree, tell me why this product is useful, how it will benefit me, and how to get it.
    If I have a site that sells luggage, and you come to my site looking for Samsonite luggage, I might have a couple of links to different Samsonite luggages there, and I will gladly show you how to Buy It Now!

But if you want me to tell you why Samsonite luggages are useful, or how Samsonite luggages will benefit you in particular, I sure would not spend my time showing you the Samsonite luggages commercial, on where the gorilla beats the crap out of that Samsonite suitcase, and the Samsonite suitcase didn't suffer any damage. That's the merchant job, not mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    If I have a site that sells luggage, and you come to my site looking for Samsonite luggage, I might have a couple of links to different Samsonite luggages there, and I will gladly show you how to Buy It Now!

But if you want me to tell you why Samsonite luggages are useful, or how Samsonite luggages will benefit you in particular, I sure would not spend my time showing you the Samsonite luggages commercial, on where the gorilla beats the crap out of that Samsonite suitcase, and the Samsonite suitcase didn't suffer any damage. That's the merchant job, not mine!

Maybe you wouldn't display the gorilla footage, but are you saying you wouldn't write any original copy whatsoever to attract the search engine to index you and/or the visitor to check out your site?

I sell "Product X" but the company that produces the product has a website.

So what would entice the visitor to visit my site first so that I can sell "Product X" with "Affiliate Merchant Y"?

I might do datafeeds in the future but at the present it's the written copy that lures my visitors.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Maybe you wouldn't display the gorilla footage, but are you saying you wouldn't write any original copy whatsoever to attract the search engine to index you and/or the visitor to check out your site?
    I will answer your question with a question:

If you have a mall with 100 merchants, and you have over 1 million products on that mall.

For how many products are you going to be able to write your own original descriptions for each and every single one of those products?

Who ever say's that they do all that, that's .

One thing is to be able to write your own unique content for niche sites, if you don't have that many products, but if you're showing more that 1000 products from just one merchant, or you have a mall site, there is no way to do it, not even if you work 24/7 on that site.

I might do datafeeds in the future but at the present it's the written copy that lures my visitors.
    If you're making good money without any datafeeds on those sites, DON'T add any datafeed to those sites. I made that mistake before, and now I am suffering the consequences on those sites.

But, do get involve with datafeeds, just make sure that your new datafeed sites are dynamically made in case you have to swap merchants at any time and mainly because they can be updated automatically 24/7 if you have to.

Look, if you have a merchant with over 1000 products, and you're using that merchant datafeed, the only difference between your site, and the next affiliate site using the same datafeed, is only the way you use that datafeed.

Like, the way your site is designed, the way you have your navigation set-up, the extra bs that you might auto add to every product page, the size of your tables, the show the price - no- price dilemma, the colors you use on that site, the leaks to other stuff or not, adsense or not, banners or just links, click here, buy now!, more info ->, details ->, continue ->, etc......

And then........

Even after you come up with the more logical customer shopping site, and other SE's might not like your site, or they might index your entire site but, put those pages on the supplemental hell hole, or just put your site on page 20 after a few months later.

So the only way to start to get money from that site any faster would mean to get into the PPC game, or find another way to generate traffic to that site faster by any other mean.

I quit now, I have talked too much on this thread already.

Sal.

Interesting response, Sal
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread