More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Would You Work With This Merchant?
    I am considering working with a merchant but they,

1) Don't allow any PPC of any type
    2) Won't even approve you until you show exactly how you have all links set up
    3) Allow no deep linking but will create custom links/forms

In short, they micromanage. I must say however that the person I am working with is very professional and responsive. They are doing all they can to keep out spammers - this may be a good thing I think.

What do you think?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Talking
    I think that I would be looking for a different merchant.

If you want someone to tell you everything to do without you having any say so at all- either get a job - get married - or both.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Lightbulb
    there are a lot of anal AMs out there. I'd be curious how they convert, anyway. might not be too bad a deal if they sell well and don't tie you up with constant emails and phone calls.

otherwise they should prepare a W-2 for you.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Skip them, it's been my experience that signs of micro management mean that later, somebody will flippantly decide they don't like some particular thing that you're doing to bring them new, buying customers... which is crazy.

Affiliate marketing is about expanding your sales force into many, many minds and reaping the benefits of our differences. If they can't see that, you'll end up trying to change to suit them to often and you won't enjoy it as much or be as succesful as you are capable of being.

They're entitled to have rules, even silly ones. But we have the right to be selective and to pass judgment on their behavior as it pertains to our choices.

There's a good possibility you wouldn't have a lot of competition. If you feel like working with them, then give it a try. They would have to convert well to be worth the time it's going to take.

Of course, once they trust you they might loosen up a bit. There could just be a real high fence to get over to be inside. That happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    There's a good possibility you wouldn't have a lot of competition. If you feel like working with them, then give it a try. They would have to convert well to be worth the time it's going to take. // Of course, once they trust you they might loosen up a bit. There could just be a real high fence to get over to be inside. That happens sometimes.
    I absolutely agree. If they are willing to create custom forms and perhaps landing pages, they probably have an affiliate technology in place that doesn't allow for tracking of "deep links" directly to pages at the site, but they may be able to set up a set of mirror/redirect pages for you to use.

Of course, for all the extra work you must do to promote this merchant, I'd hope you have spent some time examining the merchant's web site, perhaps even placed a test order, and you believe the merchant's web site is effective at selling to consumers, that the merchant's prices are competitive, that the merchant doesn't convert web visitors to untracked phone orders, and that the merchant will provide proper service to its customers.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    If the merchant has products you can sell, I'd say go for it. At least you'll know they're discriminate and you won't be indirectly in bed with dirty players.

If they want to spend time getting you individual product links or landing pages let them service you to death.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Thanks all for the advice. I think I will try them on a small scale. Ironically I found a similar program by accident right after posting. The second program has far fewer restrictions.

My guess is that the first program may have a problem with me running the other. Just a guess.

What Donuts pointed out went through my mind too - they may drop me for some goofy reason down the line.

This is a lead program by the way.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Just to put it on the record,
    I wouldn't touch that program with a barge pole! It wouldn't matter how well they converted. I'm not in this to be someone's empl*yee, and that's that.

Ironically I found a similar program by accident right after posting. The second program has far fewer restrictions.
    I would promote that one just on the principal of it, provided they don't have some other deal-killer like nonpayment.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    it's been my experience that signs of micro management
    Unless they have a team of affiliate managers/associates, then it would be hard to micro manage it if their program is very big. If you have a few affilates, then it is OK but if you have a few thousand performing affiliates, then it might be a bit tough even with automation, etc.

I think u should just be weary and not dive head in as most ppl mentioned

ABW Ambassador
    I had a similar situation a few years ago. The program didn't have that many upfront restrictions, BUT the president of the company got online everyday to check out the SERPs. When I started beating them for their favorite keywords (I was number 1, they were 3 or 4, wasn't using anything but basic SEO), the restrictions started.

The affiliate mgr was in the middle and the email was constat: They didn't like this page, they didn't like my other merchants. Could I please change the title and description of my page. No I could not mention their company name. (How else am I supposed to market their products?). I was making a ton of money so I put up with it through Christmas.

Then in February, they closed their affiliate program. Luckily I had a competing merchant to slide right into to their pages. They actually emailed me and complained about that!

But I did make a ton of money while it lasted! So if I think I can successfully market around conditions, Sometimes I do for a while. Usually it doesn't last that long.

I've learned to make pages such that they can be used again and I don't waste the gained search engine rankings.

Lily

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    When I started beating them for their favorite keywords (I was number 1, they were 3 or 4, wasn't using anything but basic SEO), the restrictions started.
    Not sure what the president was thinking, he is still getting the sale / customer as oppose to the later part where the competitor is getting the sale. If you are better than the company is SEO- power to you. Maybe I should recruit you to join our program and kick us in the SEO, which I totally welcome it..

I would never work with such a merchant UNLESS the profit margin and potential was extremely high. Otherwise there are plenty of others to promote.

IMHO.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have left a number of jobs due to micromanagement, a manager is not doing their job if they have do tell you everything you have to do. It shows insecurity and has no place in the business world. Run, don't walk to the nearest exit.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread