Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Are you loosing your sales because of FreeShipping.com?
    I see where many merchnats like www.theparagon.com are showing a cookie/commission stealing banner for this Super Affiliate group on their front pages.

"I have a charge on my account for Insiders-Club.com. What is this?

The Insiders-Club is a service that provides members with savings such as cash-back rebates on your shipping charges, price protection on your purchases and more. The charge on your account is most likely the membership fee for service. We operate several membership programs such as FreeShipping.com, the Internet Insiders-Club and the MyPoints Insiders-Club. Please click the "return" link above to look up your account.

I don’t remember joining, how did you get my information?

All of the member information is collected at the time of enrollment, and is provided by the user. Sometimes we find that another household member may have joined the program! You may have seen an offer for our program elsewhere on the Internet, or perhaps through one of our Merchant Partners."

http://www.insiders-club.com/site/faq_nm.asp featuring over 1000 top branded network merchants. Amazing some of these merchant frown on "incentive" affiliates and bend over backwards for this ROI killing scheme. Bet some AM's are getting kick-backs for new memberships, while giving away the bosses profits.

Talk about sleazy ...read their privacy policy where the participating merchant basically shovel their customers privacy info into the Adwhore marketing drain hole... http://www.insiders-club.com/site/policy_nm.asp
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; March 7th, 2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Edited thread title and moved to new sub section within ParasiteWare.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I saw this yesterday. I am so glad I wasn't running them that is pathetic. It would be nice to see who else has this graphic on their site!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Merchant partners include:

1-800 Contacts, 1-800 Flowers, 1-800 Patches, A&E, Ace Hardware, AllPets, Amazon.com, Ashford, Auto Sports Catalog, Avenue.com, Avon, Baby Universe, BabyCenter, Bargain Outfitters, Barnes and Noble, Batteries.com, Beauty.com, Best Buy, Bike Nashbar, Blair Blinds, Galore, Blue Nile, Bodega Chocolates, Books a Million, Boscov's, Brooks Brothers, Brookstone, Brylane Home, Buy.com, Carrot's Ink Cartridges, Chadwicks, Champion, Chef's, Circuit City, Classic Closeouts, CompUSA, Cooking.com, Cutter and Buck, Danskin, David's Cookies, dELiA*s, Dell, Diamond.com, Dick's Sporting Goods, Discovery Store, Disney Store, Domestications, Drugstore.com, eBags, Eddie Bauer, eGadgets.com, Elisabeth by Liz Claiborne, eToys.com, fogdog Sports, Fossil, Franklin Mint, FTD.com, Gaiam, GameStop.com, Gardener's Supply, Geerlings & Wade, Gevalia, Hallmark, Harry and David, Hickory Farms, Home Shopping Network, Ice.com, iGourmet.com, inkjets.com, Joann.com, Johnston & Murphy, Jordan Marie, Jos. A Bank Clothiers, Kenneth Cole, Kohl's, Lane Bryant, Lerner Catalog, Linens 'n Things, Liz Claiborne, Macys, Martha Stewart, Mikasa, Miles Kimball, Modell's Sporting Goods, Mondera, Mrs. Fields, MVP.com, National Geographic, Nordstrom, Norm Thompson, Office Depot, Office Max, Ofoto, OmahaSteaks.com, Oriental Trading Company, Oshkoshbgosh, Overstock.com, Paul Fredrick Menstyle, Payless Shoe Source, Performance Bike, Perfume Emporium, PETCO.com, PETsMART.com, RedEnvelope, Reebok Store, REI, Ritz Camera, Road Runner Sports, Ross-Simons, Scholastic Store, Sears, Smith + Noble, SONY Style, Spiegel, Stonewall Kitchen, Swiss Army Central, Target, The Company Store, The Sharper Image, The Sports Authority, Things Remembered, Tiger Direct, Tool King, Toshiba, Tower Records, Tupperware, Tweeter, Vann's, Walter Drake, WBshop.com, Wicks End, Wine.com, Yves Rocher Fine Cosmetics

Plus HUNDREDS more!
    ------------------

ya know... everyone we make links for

Everyone of those merchants have some explaining to do. This is a info peddling syndicate acting as a cookie landmine field when you look at the aggregrate of their 3 major loyality club bases starting with Mypoints.com.

MAIN perp: About Clarus Marketing Group: Clarus Marketing Group is a leading marketing services company specializing in the design, development and implementation of direct response programs, membership marketing initiatives, and business development ventures. Clarus membership programs include FreeShipping.com, which offers members a variety of shopping savings and protection benefits. Clarus Marketing Group is privately held and headquartered in Wethersfield, CT. FreeShipping.com has been online since 1999, and has thousands of members who enjoy shopping and saving online. .... Clarus Marketing Group, a leading consumer membership services company, announced today the launch of a new Internet property designed to augment its current suite of consumer based shopping portals. Insiders Coupons (http://www.insiderscoupons.com) categorizes and displays money saving electronic coupons for over 1,000 participating online merchants such as Overstock.com, Dell, Sears, Best Buy, Target.com and more.

http://www.clarusmarketing.com/index.html which employs all the tricks of the Adwhore trade brought on by trying to out do their major competitor www.MetaRewards.com
    Last edited by ecomcity; September 7th, 2006 at 12:04 AM.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Everyone of those merchants save some explaining to do. This is a info peddling syndicate acting as a cookie landmine field when you look at the aggregrate of their 3 major loyality club bases starting with Mypoints.com.

[snip]

http://www.clarusmarketing.com/index.html which employs all the tricks of the Adwhore trade brought on by trying to out do their major competitor www.MetaRewards.com
    Mike and Charlie
    I don't get it -- why/how do the companies you mention believe that they will have a long, meaningful relationship with the adwhores?
    Why don't companies try to cultivate their relationships with affiliates/publishers and customers?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks to Connie Berg for sniffing this one out over at Revenews. Will be interesting to see what happens to this merchant and even more interesting how it affects the "super affiliate" freeshipping.com.
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Mike and Charlie
    I don't get it -- why/how do the companies you mention believe that they will have a long, meaningful relationship with the adwhores?
    Why don't companies try to cultivate their relationships with affiliates/publishers and customers?
    Rhia7 the companies I mentioned are all Adwhores working the same street corner your trying to make your living on. Only difference is they have a competitive advantage not available to you. They have affiliate managers in their pockets giving them prime exposure. While you work the ally, they get a prime spot on the merchnats front page to set their cookie with an enticing offer no shopper would refuse. Click the link .. www.theparagon.com and then the bold huge Free shipping offer banner ... bye bye referral commission.

Other similar incentive affiliate operations, like MetaRewards, hide inside the shopping carts checkout page and even capture the shoppers privacy info and Credit Card info for the hidden membership fee.... and your referral commission. When it comes right down to it the AM's running these programs also allow in Live Help affiliate operators, Bill-Me-Later easy payment affiliate operators, BHO's and refuse to pay commissions on cross channel Ad cookies, 800# calls and in-store pick-up offers. Therefore those above mentioned companies ALL lied to you about the opportunity they presented to you when you signed up. They forgot to list the diversion tactics, hidden Super Affiliate partnerships, house cookie washing and any tilting of the playing field towards their top earning tricksters. To them your just a dime a dozen street tramp not a primped Adwhore capable of fleecing their big buck advertising johns.

If they terminated all their legit domain bound affiliates they'd kill the traffic these parasites live off of so they keep these deals quiet. Sorry about the anologies but your icon brings out my trash talking side... To think they awarded me the Most Vocal Affiliate Award....

Rhia7 the companies I mentioned are all Adwhores working the same street corner your trying to make your living on. Only difference is they have a competitive advantage not available to you. They have affiliate managers in their pockets giving them prime exposure.

[snip good information]

Therefore those above mentioned companies ALL lied to you about the opportunity they presented to you when you signed up. They forgot to list the diversion tactics, hidden Super Affiliate partnerships, house cookie washing and any tilting of the playing field towards their top earning tricksters.
    Those unpleasant facts are actually important to keep in mind.
    If CJ and/or any other network is/are creating an advisory panel, I wish some of these topics could be discussed.

Sorry about the anologies but your icon brings out my trash talking side...
    I have other icons if you'd prefer a different one
    Haiko seems to prefer this icon so I followed his advice and decided to use it
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

it's a just say no opportunity. this or something very much like it can hit you at a computer store checkout. "do you want a free issue of xxxxxxx?" they ask when you're using your card (now they have the number)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay

1-800 Contacts, 1-800 Flowers, 1-800 Patches, A&E, Ace Hardware, AllPets, Amazon.com, Ashford, Auto Sports Catalog, Avenue.com, Avon, Baby Universe, BabyCenter, Bargain Outfitters, Barnes and Noble, Batteries.com, Beauty.com, Best Buy, Bike Nashbar, Blair Blinds, Galore, Blue Nile, Bodega Chocolates, Books a Million, Boscov's, Brooks Brothers, Brookstone, Brylane Home, Buy.com, Carrot's Ink Cartridges, Chadwicks, Champion, Chef's, Circuit City, Classic Closeouts, CompUSA, Cooking.com, Cutter and Buck, Danskin, David's Cookies, dELiA*s, Dell, Diamond.com, Dick's Sporting Goods, Discovery Store, Disney Store, Domestications, Drugstore.com, eBags, Eddie Bauer, eGadgets.com, Elisabeth by Liz Claiborne, eToys.com, fogdog Sports, Fossil, Franklin Mint, FTD.com, Gaiam, GameStop.com, Gardener's Supply, Geerlings & Wade, Gevalia, Hallmark, Harry and David, Hickory Farms, Home Shopping Network, Ice.com, iGourmet.com, inkjets.com, Joann.com, Johnston & Murphy, Jordan Marie, Jos. A Bank Clothiers, Kenneth Cole, Kohl's, Lane Bryant, Lerner Catalog, Linens 'n Things, Liz Claiborne, Macys, Martha Stewart, Mikasa, Miles Kimball, Modell's Sporting Goods, Mondera, Mrs. Fields, MVP.com, National Geographic, Nordstrom, Norm Thompson, Office Depot, Office Max, Ofoto, OmahaSteaks.com, Oriental Trading Company, Oshkoshbgosh, Overstock.com, Paul Fredrick Menstyle, Payless Shoe Source, Performance Bike, Perfume Emporium, PETCO.com, PETsMART.com, RedEnvelope, Reebok Store, REI, Ritz Camera, Road Runner Sports, Ross-Simons, Scholastic Store, Sears, Smith + Noble, SONY Style, Spiegel, Stonewall Kitchen, Swiss Army Central, Target, The Company Store, The Sharper Image, The Sports Authority, Things Remembered, Tiger Direct, Tool King, Toshiba, Tower Records, Tupperware, Tweeter, Vann's, Walter Drake, WBshop.com, Wicks End, Wine.com, Yves Rocher Fine Cosmetics

Plus HUNDREDS more!
    ------------------

Freeshipping.com has been terminated from the Batteries.com Affiliate Program with CJ.

My apologies to our affiliates ....
    KK

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Nice move K! Too bad there aren't more like you!!!

This kind of monetizing the customer further at check-out by selling their info or opting them into something that isn't obvious (and impacting affiliates often as well) needs to stop. The key to stopping it is letting merchants know that the story they are told by the cart poachers beforehand, about great incremental revenue on every order (sellig the customer at check-out where the merchant just finished building trust)is NOT how the consumer will remember their experience when the monthly bills start showing on their credit card.

It's bad business.

Here's a couple of threads about "reservation rewards" (they have many names!) that were exposed here at ABW:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=45813
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=45811

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Nice move K!
    "K" should be her nickname, Kristin is kicking arse ... WTG girl !!

"Don't mess with the K" ..
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Thank you donuts. Thanks Andy!

I like "The K" better
    KK

15 years and counting
    These companies are mosly with LINKSHARE. Taking advantage of these CASHBACK crooks, once again, to don't pay their affiliates. Like Anne said, pathetic. To allow FreeShipping.com as an affiliate is bad, but to promote them on their own website is dumb.

Working with CJ and LinkShare, it's like monetizing everything unethical in Affiliate Marketing.
    Can't wait the the day they will get caught and left to rot in jail.

Basically these so called Super Affiliate operations want to be embedded so deep into the merchant's checkout process they can act as a backup source for every order placed in the merchants shopping cart. Membership fee based recruiting through enticing incentives at trusted brand shopping sites compromises the merchant's own privacy protections. Also these Super Affiliates then aggregrate the buying habits, preferred products, and clickstream data of their members so they can hound them with the merchant's competitor offerings without oversight.

Notice how Freeshipping.com, and their other loyality/reward enities, demand privacy information enabling them to run credit reports on their members. Why else would the want SS# and Mother's Maiden name if not to pigeon hole them by Credit score and bank balances into premium list broker fees.

I see Kristin Collier of Batteries.com is looking out for her boss's business keeping the weasel out of her hen house. For heavens sake I refuse any longer to hold out any hope for Overstock as they show up on everyone of these loyality sites killing any traction they have with their Club-O safehaven model. Talk about cross purposes within their own marketing departments. I can see 100% of their internal staff seeking to arm their side with affiliate commission partners, who are checkout lane shake down artists, while handing them under the counter the normally private OS customers files to assure their Supers can kite sales from other OS sales channels.

My wakeup call is this. Not one of these Super Affiliate loyaity/incentive/reward operations give a rats ass about loyality to any merchant on their victim list. They hawk every OS competitors offerings to their perloined customer base and claim us legit affiliates as non-converting losers. Ever see one of these best of breed affiliates come here to post to us cannon fodder surfs without showing us their elitist asses? The major networks meanwhile inject these wanks into every major merchant program killing off the earning potential of all mom & pop affiliates.

I for one, who never deal with any of these weasels as an affiliate or protective merchant AM, refuse to remain silent as this industry imploads on it's own greed.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay

Plus HUNDREDS more!
    ------------------

Good grief! I've seen lemmingish behavior in this industry a lot, but this looks like a possible record-breaker! These merchants are outright massacring themselves by the hundreds!

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    The key to stopping it is letting merchants know that the story they are told by the cart poachers beforehand, about great incremental revenue on every order (sellig the customer at check-out where the merchant just finished building trust)is NOT how the consumer will remember their experience when the monthly bills start showing on their credit card.

It's bad business.
    It's bad business indeed--all those people conned into taking those checkout specials are going to remember the merchant who fed them to those wolves...and not go back!

That whole scam is a badwill machine. It's like the merchants are trying to chase their customers away!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hi Kristin,

Congrats for taking a stance for the better of your program and the rest of your affiliate partners and also congrats to Batteries.com for letting you make the right decision in your program and letting you run the program at will and make the right decision on the spot without 3 months of explaining.

I've said it before, it's the merchants that need to let their informed ABW managers handle and make the right decisions for their program for the better of the affiliate community and their own program in general. If all merchants would do that all would win.

There are many on that list and on ABW, who will be next to listen to their managers to make the right decision for their program and let them really manage the program with descisions on the spot without 3 months of explaining.

Batteries.com, one of the rare merchants any affiliate, and specially any manager, would be proud to work with.

Puts it up the affiliates again where the sun don't shine
    I guess old FOGDOG is no longer free of parasites.

AGAIN!

When, where and what will it take for the affiliiate managers to wake up and actually research companies like this?
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Thank you Jorge! I worked very hard at cleaning the program up and keeping it clean, and from time to time, they do get past me, especially on CJ.

I have earned the trust from Batteries.com that they have a hands off approach when it comes to managing our program since I have taken to heights they never thought they could reach (even higher than when BDC was with the most parasitic affiliates). They trust my judgement. This will continue in the 2 additional programs I will be announcing soon

It wouldn't have happened if it were not for ABW. Thanks for everyones help!!!
    KK

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Collier - Batteries
    Freeshipping.com has been terminated from the Batteries.com Affiliate Program with CJ.

My apologies to our affiliates ....
    Go get 'em, K! I hope more merchants follow in your footsteps.

OK ... Batteries.com goes back up throughout my Mall.

BabyUniverse Involvement

Plus HUNDREDS more!
    ------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello all, I actually found this thread and wanted to personally respond to all A Best Web Readers.

I would like to assure you all that BabyUniverse does not have any of FreeShipping.Com's banners anywhere on our site. I am looking into our relationship with FreeShipping.Com as I write this post. I know we may be listed because we do have thousands of products that do offer Free Shipping to our customers however we do not utilize FreeShipping.Com's banners, links, or any type of their creative, on our site, so when an affiliate sends a customer to our site ... That affiliate will get 100% of the commission due to them.

Just wanted to clear the air for all our affiliates that may read this thread.

Thank You

Darin Carter
    -----------
    BabyUniverse.Com Affiliate Manager

HOLD YOUR HORSES EVERYONE!

Not all those companies have a link back to freeshipping.com, only few do. And as far as I know freeshipping.com does not have a software application so it may not be parasitic. (Not sure) I know freeshipping.com pays merchants for each referral they sent. So, in fact, they're merchant themselves.

It's however idiotic move on merchant's side to publish freeshipping.com banner on their checkout page. You've already acquired a customer, but you're sending them away to third party to only to pay again to that party for referring the customer you've already acquired!

It's a funny world, online marketing.

ABW Ambassador
    Exactly sambay. They are horrible, but don't throw out all of those companies just because free shipping says they have a relationship with them. Some are fine, others... well read mike's posts.

Chet

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Not all those companies have a link back to freeshipping.com, only few do. And as far as I know freeshipping.com does not have a software application so it may not be parasitic. (Not sure) I know freeshipping.com pays merchants for each referral they sent. So, in fact, they're merchant themselves.
    Excatly. The decision to put up FreeShipping.com banners on the merchant site is a decision made by THE MERCHANT, there is no software, required banners, links etc from FreeShippin.com to work with them.

The company at fault here is theparagon.com .

To take it a step further, if I were to Put a banner for Mike's Shop on my home page, would that make Mike a parasite? Hardly.... I'm sure Mike wouldn't mind, until people said he was a parasite of course

FreeShipping offer a service, it is up to each merchant how they decide to work with that firm. Some have not thought it through very well.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast